+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Brian Dorsett to make Old Timers’ Day debut

Complaining is a choice

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Brian Dorsett to make Old Timers’ Day debut

Brian Dorsett. Wow. I had to look it up....

No longer surprised why I do not remember him at all.
    Attached Images
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

The Yankees are pulling out all the stops this year for OTD.
    Complaining is a choice

Damn, I miss El Duque.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

There can't be that many Yankees that have played from the early 80's on that I have absolutely no recollection of, but Brian Dorsett is one of them.

I actually remember Dorsett.......but when did Todd Greene play here?
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I actually remember Dorsett.......but when did Todd Greene play here?
    I actually remember him ... backup catcher, wasn't he? About ten years ago?

Are we sure this isn't for "No Timers' Day?"
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

So now the standard to be a Yankee Old-Timer is 60 PAs?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    So now the standard to be a Yankee Old-Timer is 60 PAs?
    They need a couple of healthy and relatively young guys to catch (along with Greene and Flahery), so that's why he'll be here. And good for him..

Wasn't it last year or the year before when they had to use Homer Bush at catcher because nobody else could do it?

Anyway, I think the actual game is silly. Have the intros and end it there.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Cy Young

Sad to say, since one of my earliest childhood memories is seeing Phil Rizzuto and Joe DiMaggio play in an old timer's day game, I agree with you --the game is silly. But so is the stupid YMCA number which has no chance of ever going away.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    They need a couple of healthy and relatively young guys to catch (along with Greene and Flahery), so that's why he'll be here. And good for him..

Wasn't it last year or the year before when they had to use Homer Bush at catcher because nobody else could do it?

It was last year - my first ever trip to OTD.

I remember because I mentioned to my daughter, who accompanied me, that they were using a 2Bman at catcher.

I also remember how brutal the day was - over 100* in the LF bleachers. So hot that we actually left as the CWS game was starting. Since I only wanted to see the OTG, the CWS game didn't interest me much. Ironically, the CWS were the first opponents I ever saw at YS.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I laughed at the list too, but you know what? The Yankees have long had a policy of inviting everyone and these guys felt so honored to have played with the Yankees they are returning. We talk about "honoring the Yankee tradition" , well these guys do so a heck of a lot more then Joe DiMaggio did at these games, because if Joe D wasn't flown first class and introduced last he wasn't leaving Florida or San Francisco . Some of the unknown guys enjoy this day a heck of a lot more then some of the names we all know, so let them have their day too.

When I used to go to OTD, I sometimes looked forward to seeing some of the lesser known guys more than the big stars. It's more fun seeing Brian Doyle, who has a nice little part of Yankee history for a brief moment, than say, Reggie Jackson, who is always around anyway.

I must say, I have no memory of Brian Dorsett at all (I thought for a second that the OP may have meant 'Brian Dayett'), but good for him. Probably a thrill for him and his family to be out there.

What i wonder though is, where is Graig Nettles? I think this is the second year in a row now that he's not been there. One of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post

I agree that largely the game is cringeworthy. What I didn't realize was that at one point in the 60's mostly, the OTD game was actually taken semi-seriously and the Yankees would play against other teams and the games actually became somewhat competitive.

I doubt that the losing team was all distraught or anything, but they would have guys mostly all in their 40's playing and they truly played to win...and played more than the two innings they play now. I think it was Whitey Ford pitching one time and the game was pretty intense...I have to find where I read this, but the fooling around they do today wasn't really the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I laughed at the list too, but you know what? The Yankees have long had a policy of inviting everyone and these guys felt so honored to have played with the Yankees they are returning. We talk about "honoring the Yankee tradition" , well these guys do so a heck of a lot more then Joe DiMaggio did at these games, because if Joe D wasn't flown first class and introduced last he wasn't leaving Florida or San Francisco . Some of the unknown guys enjoy this day a heck of a lot more then some of the names we all know, so let them have their day too.
    Well, the Yankees must not be forking over any dough to Joe D, because he hasn't been showing up to OTD for quite a while now. He's kind of a jerk, I'd suppose.
    Complaining is a choice

The Yanks are on a budget.... there's an OT tax they're trying to get under.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Well, the Yankees must not be forking over any dough to Joe D, because he hasn't been showing up to OTD for quite a while now. He's kind of a jerk, I'd suppose.
    I heard he's been feeling a little under the weather lately.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I'm hoping to see Ben Francisco.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by wexy View Post
    I'm hoping to see Ben Francisco.
    He'd probably strike out
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF HOF

Any Old Timers game that doesn't include Homer Bush, Clay Bellinger, Dave Silvestri, Mike Blowers, Andy Stankiewicz and Ricky Ledee isn't worth attending
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I agree that largely the game is cringeworthy. What I didn't realize was that at one point in the 60's mostly, the OTD game was actually taken semi-seriously and the Yankees would play against other teams and the games actually became somewhat competitive.

I doubt that the losing team was all distraught or anything, but they would have guys mostly all in their 40's playing and they truly played to win...and played more than the two innings they play now. I think it was Whitey Ford pitching one time and the game was pretty intense...I have to find where I read this, but the fooling around they do today wasn't really the way it was.
    I remember in the 70s they played against an all-star team of retirees from other teams. It was a 3-inning game, and was pretty cool. I met Bob Feller at one of those games.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I remember in the 70s they played against an all-star team of retirees from other teams. It was a 3-inning game, and was pretty cool. I met Bob Feller at one of those games.
    The first Old Timers Day I attended celebrated the 25th anniversary of the first Yankees-Dodgers World Series, so they had the 1941 teams playing each other. That was fun.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

A little update on Dorsett.
    http://tribstar.com/local/x115573089...l-Hall-of-Fame

Yes, the Yanks need some younger guys to get back there and catch because barely any of them want to get on the field, let alone catch. Half of the players they invite are physically incapable of getting on the field to play, which is no slight, but guys like Luis Arroyo, Bobby Brown, Jerry Coleman, Hector Lopez are all over the age of 83 and have open invites to come each year. They come more for the camaraderie than anything else.

From speaking with a lot of players that are now in the age range of the guys above, they used to be really proud to play in different old-timers games across the country and still compete.

They had some national ones at RFK Stadium in the mid 1980's which were popular and well attended. Luke Appling at 75 hit a home run in one of those games.

Video is below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHV7-y5MWk
    www.baseballhappenings.net
    Baseball's Past, Present and Future

Quote Originally Posted by metrotheme View Post
    A little update on Dorsett.
    http://tribstar.com/local/x115573089...l-Hall-of-Fame

Yes, the Yanks need some younger guys to get back there and catch because barely any of them want to get on the field, let alone catch.
    I guess Flaherty and Girardi don't want to strap on the tools anymore. But really, were Chad Moeller and Sal Fasano too busy?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information