+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ARoDfan4life View Post
    In desperate need of power, Yankees close to deal for Soriano

(source)

unbelievable
    What's unbelievable about it? If the Cubs eat almost all his salary, if it's zero impact to 2014 lux tax, and the cost is a throwaway prospect in return what's the harm in it? They could cut Wells and Soriano (assuming this goes down) next season and have no overhang in terms of the lux tax calculation. Maybe they worked this up in the event that between now and the deadline they make a little run. Until the deal is finalized, seems silly to get worked up about it. Even after the fact, it's probably much ado about nothing (unless a real prospect is sent to Chicago).

He's hitting LHP very well this season. My only reservation is that his home/road splits in '12 and '13 are not good.

You're freaking out about a) something that hasn't happened, b) something that has very little downside and c) assuming that even if this happens they can't sell other pieces.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    I will take Soriano, when they are paying almost all of his salary. Why are people mad about this?
    b/c we're going backwards. We have an inept GM. He clearly is overmatched at his position vs Epstein in this pending deal. King III doesn't have all the details. But there is no way Epstein is picking up most of the $$$ and not getting a good prospect.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    What's unbelievable about it? If the Cubs eat almost all his salary, if it's zero impact to 2014 lux tax, and the cost is a throwaway prospect in return what's the harm in it? They could cut Wells and Soriano (assuming this goes down) next season and have no overhang in terms of the lux tax calculation. Maybe they worked this up in the event that between now and the deadline they make a little run. Until the deal is finalized, seems silly to get worked up about it. Even after the fact, it's probably much ado about nothing (unless a real prospect is sent to Chicago).

He's hitting LHP very well this season. My only reservation is that his home/road splits in '12 and '13 are not good.

You're freaking out about a) something that hasn't happened, b) something that has very little downside and c) assuming that even if this happens they can't sell other pieces.
    I'm freaking out about a GM that has driven the steak into this team for the past few yrs. I doubt Epstein is not getting a good prospect. Epstein is not a GM that's going to make a deal like this for just a C prospect and picking up the $$$ too? I doubt that's true.

Idk the cubs have been trying to rid themselves of Soriano for a few years now.
    Rich

Idk the cubs have been trying to rid themselves of Soriano for a few years now.
    does it make sense for Theo to do this? lets really think about this. We've seen this guy at his best and worst. He's not doing this type of deal. GKIII is on something but he doesn't have the full info. I'll pray he's just blowing smoke for now. If not this deal will happen, but not at those terms. Epstein is no fool.

Addicted Member

I have been doing homework for the past few hours and was unaware of the Soriano talk until a friend just texted me. He said "You will soon be welcoming back Alfonso Soriano to New York."

My respone: "Tell him we're not home."

Seriously though, if the Cubs are paying for most of the deal, sounds good to me. Maybe he can play third, or something.

does it make sense for Theo to do this? lets really think about this. We've seen this guy at his best and worst. He's not doing this type of deal. GKIII is on something but he doesn't have the full info. I'll pray he's just blowing smoke for now. If not this deal will happen, but not at those terms. Epstein is no fool.
    I agree with you, if they are paying most of his salary we are going to be giving someone decent up.
    Rich

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

You do realize that the boy wonder isn't infallible, right?

He did leave Boston in the mess they were in and that Cherrington has had to clean up.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I will take Soriano, when they are paying almost all of his salary. Why are people mad about this?
    We need more players over 35 on a team going nowhere. And let's give up what is left of our farm for him.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    We need more players over 35 on a team going nowhere. And let's give up what is left of our farm for him.
    Well let's wait and see what they give up first.
    Rich

Wait and see approach. The Yankees are linked to anything that moves this time of year
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Devoted Member

Gotta agree with you here unfortunately. Epstein's "genius" bona fides are overstated but Cash is way out of his league. If this deal goes down I think people will be dismayed to learn of either a) the quality of what the Cubs get back; b) the amount of dough the Yankees are paying - or both.
    DFA ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    Gotta agree with you here unfortunately. Epstein's "genius" bona fides are overstated but Cash is way out of his league. If this deal goes down I think people will be dismayed to learn of either a) the quality of what the Cubs get back; b) the amount of dough the Yankees are paying - or both.
    Jed Hoyer is the General Manager of the Cubs, not Theo...
    Rich

thank you jesus. soriano as DH/OF would be great, especially against LHP (.841 OPS). basically what vernon wells is not, but better. and, amazingly, UZR is STILL saying that he's good defensively. he's also hit 10 HR over the last month.

i can't believe people are complaining given how terrible this team has been. i doubt the prospect was much. maybe one of our several mediocre AAA starters.
    like delv, but better

Devoted Member

Jed Hoyer is the General Manager of the Cubs, not Theo...
    Epstein/Hoyer what's the difference? Cash is not going to get s/thing for nothing from these guys.
    DFA ARod.

Well let's wait and see what they give up first.
    If it was just a salary dump then no problem but the Cubs are paying most of his salary and the Cubs would not do that if they weren't getting something decent back.

If it was just a salary dump then no problem but the Cubs are paying most of his salary and the Cubs would not do that if they weren't getting something decent back.
    I hate this trade already as I have a feeling one of my favorite prospect(s) is going to Chicago as Theo drives a hard bargain.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Please, I know you hate Cashman, but get real. If the Cubs are picking up most of the salary then the Yankees have to give up something of value in return. Another thing, this decision is owner driven as they desperately want to make the playoffs.

Epstein/Hoyer what's the difference? Cash is not going to get s/thing for nothing from these guys.
    Neither of those guys are the fair hair boys any longer, ask San Diego and Boston. To turn Chicago around they have to burn the organization to the ground and then rebuild from the ground up. Any competent GM can do that including Cashman.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

What are we worried about? We've been complaining about how bad the farm system is, so we're not likely to give up that much to get worked up over.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    What are we worried about? We've been complaining about how bad the farm system is, so we're not likely to give up that much to get worked up over.
    Not all of us!

NYYF HOF

Hey Cashman, the 1980's called.. they want their horrible team building strategy back.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Bad doesn't mean they have zero prospects. Just a few and none that you would build a team around.

Bad doesn't mean they have zero prospects. Just a few and none that you would build a team around.
    Don't they need to come up and contribute before they can be built around?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF HOF

He adds nothing to the team beyond the season, he's old, his fielding prowess makes Swisher look like Willie Mays and he's been playing in the NL for seven seasons. He would have been a great addition in 2005. They need him for his bat but they're pretty stacked in the "too old to play the field so let's stick him in the DH" department.

I guess the question has been answered. Screw the future, let's go ball to the wall for the win-and-in game.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

Thread Information