+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 ... LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 1632
  1. #776
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Hughes definitely has value. Not a ton, but the trade market for starting pitching right now is definitely a sellers market.
    This. In 2011 there was a trade market for Jeremy Guthrie who was 9 - 17 with a 4.33 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. I'm sure Hughes will draw some interest. The question is would we get enough value in return to make it worthwhile.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  2. #777
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    This. In 2011 there was a trade market for Jeremy Guthrie who was 9 - 17 with a 4.33 ERA and a 1.34 WHIP. I'm sure Hughes will draw some interest. The question is would we get enough value in return to make it worthwhile.
    At this point, almost any return makes it worthwhile.

    We certainly will not be offering Hughes a qualifying offer, so if he leaves as a FA, we get nothing.

    Even a mid-level prospect at this time would be a plus.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  3. #778

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    We certainly will not be offering Hughes a qualifying offer, so if he leaves as a FA, we get nothing.
    I don't see why they wouldn't make him the qualifying offer. The FA market isn't strong, so he could reasonably believe he would get a 2 yr deal somewhere. And, if he accepts the offer, it's only a one-year deal and they could possibly look at him as a late-inning reliever.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  4. #779
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    At this point, almost any return makes it worthwhile.

    We certainly will not be offering Hughes a qualifying offer, so if he leaves as a FA, we get nothing.

    Even a mid-level prospect at this time would be a plus.
    Eh, I'd be fairly pissed if they got some garbage in return. He isn't any good, but he does have value as a backend type who'll give you ~180IP with a ~4ERA

  5. #780
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Eh, I'd be fairly pissed if they got some garbage in return. He isn't any good, but he does have value as a backend type who'll give you ~180IP with a ~4ERA
    Right. That's what I meant by "worthwhile".
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  6. #781
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Jim Bowden thinks Alfonso Soriano is coming back.

  7. #782
    Richmond Virginians
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Richmond Va

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Jim Bowden thinks Alfonso Soriano is coming back.
    Makes sense. He is over the hill like most of the team.

  8. #783
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Makes sense. He is over the hill like most of the team.
    Compared with most of the other guys they're wheeling out there every night, Soriano could be an All Star. Under any other circumstances, I would cringe at this move. But given the current state of this year's team, I wouldn't mind seeing him return.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  9. #784
    Devoted Member
    Gigi Buffon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Compared with most of the other guys they're wheeling out there every night, Soriano could be an All Star. Under any other circumstances, I would cringe at this move. But given the current state of this year's team, I wouldn't mind seeing him return.

    He's an upgrade but he's got another year at $18 mil.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

  10. #785

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I don't see why they wouldn't make him the qualifying offer. The FA market isn't strong, so he could reasonably believe he would get a 2 yr deal somewhere. And, if he accepts the offer, it's only a one-year deal and they could possibly look at him as a late-inning reliever.
    Really? You don't think Hughes or any #5 starter wouldn't jump at the chance to make $14 million a year? And in a year when someone like Lohse (coming off a great season) had horrid problems finding a team because of a qualifying offer, some team is going to give Hughes enough money and years and us a first round pick? Or it's a good idea to spend $14 million on a "late-inning reliever" when our pen is our strength (or ever really)?

    Um, nope. If Cashman ever offered Hughes a qualifying offer baseball would laugh at him and me, a Cash apologist of late, would want him immediately fired.

  11. #786
    #1 Yankee fan yankeesrule2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Got a link to the Soriano speculation?
    Rich

  12. #787
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    Got a link to the Soriano speculation?
    No, he said it on XM yesterday.

  13. #788
    #1 Yankee fan yankeesrule2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    No, he said it on XM yesterday.
    Ok, thanks. I could see that happening, because there is not much out there.
    Rich

  14. #789

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    No disrespect intended to the posters who quote him but...has Bowden EVER gotten anything right? He feels like the Jayson Stark of the MLB Network Radio.

  15. #790
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Dickerson just got DFA'd....
    yeh and?
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  16. #791
    #1 Yankee fan yankeesrule2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    No disrespect intended to the posters who quote him but...has Bowden EVER gotten anything right? He feels like the Jayson Stark of the MLB Network Radio.
    I know last year he posted on twitter that Ryan Dempster was a Yankee with about 5 mins to go, and then he was traded to the Rangers lol
    Rich

  17. #792

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    I know last year he posted on twitter that Ryan Dempster was a Yankee with about 5 mins to go, and then he was traded to the Rangers lol
    In the media world, reporting it first >>>>>>> reporting accurately
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

  18. #793

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    I know last year he posted on twitter that Ryan Dempster was a Yankee with about 5 mins to go, and then he was traded to the Rangers lol

    Yeah he always has some wackadoo Yankee rumor that turns out to be BS. Bowden was swearing the Yankees would get Francisco Liriano back in like 2011.

  19. #794
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Bowden's history aside, this one could happen as it does fill a major need. And despite my opinion we should be sellers, I think we know the opposite will happen. So brace yourself for what's left of our farm system going for some over rated, past his prime player.

  20. #795

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Does anybody here actually think Hughes has any trade value?
    This season Phil Hughes has been roughly as effective as Seattle starters Joe Saunders and Aaron Harang, who reportedly are on the trade block with expiring contracts:

    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

  21. #796

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    Really? You don't think Hughes or any #5 starter wouldn't jump at the chance to make $14 million a year? And in a year when someone like Lohse (coming off a great season) had horrid problems finding a team because of a qualifying offer, some team is going to give Hughes enough money and years and us a first round pick? Or it's a good idea to spend $14 million on a "late-inning reliever" when our pen is our strength (or ever really)?

    Um, nope. If Cashman ever offered Hughes a qualifying offer baseball would laugh at him and me, a Cash apologist of late, would want him immediately fired.
    100% agreed

    There is a very good chance Hughes would take the qualifying offer, which would be a disaster and an extreme waste of resources for a team trying to lower payroll. Paying a below league average starter $13-14m would be absolute insanity, even worse if he's going to the pen.

  22. #797

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    Really? You don't think Hughes or any #5 starter wouldn't jump at the chance to make $14 million a year? And in a year when someone like Lohse (coming off a great season) had horrid problems finding a team because of a qualifying offer, some team is going to give Hughes enough money and years and us a first round pick? Or it's a good idea to spend $14 million on a "late-inning reliever" when our pen is our strength (or ever really)?

    Um, nope. If Cashman ever offered Hughes a qualifying offer baseball would laugh at him and me, a Cash apologist of late, would want him immediately fired.
    So tell me who the Yankees' starting 5 for next year are.
    And closer for that matter.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  23. #798

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Robertson will be the closer

    We can find a mediocre 5th starter for a hell of a lot cheaper than the QO for Hughes

  24. #799

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    So tell me who the Yankees' starting 5 for next year are.
    And closer for that matter.
    Well, these questions have nothing to do with Phil. Just because there aren't five definite starters, why give Phil money he's clearly not worth? I mean, this process of thought makes no sense.

    A starter on Phil's level will come much cheaper than $14 million a year. And, if I remember correctly, Mo doesn't even make $14 million a year right now. Does any closer besides maybe Papelbon? I mean, it's insanity to think, well, hey, we'll just make Phil the highest paid closer in baseball (or close to it) because, you know, someone has to close ... even if he's never done it and we wouldn't pay the greatest closer to ever live that money.
    Last edited by OnTheBorder79; 07-21-13 at 12:05 PM.

  25. #800
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    High five!
    I'm holding out for a chest bump.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts