+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 55 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

Hughes+Joba+Wells for Pence.

Who hangs up?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    How does that 12.1% add up against other NL pitchers? I figure since he faces 9 guys in the lineup that should be about right up and down. Also, even if it's high that means he's doing what he's supposed to do and dominating the weakest spots in the lineup.
    On a rate basis, he's K'ing pitchers right around the league average rate. It's not criticism of Gallardo, just encouraging folks to not over-value that K/9 in a comparison with Hughes given that variable.
    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I definitely don't buy that Hughes could do that. Gallardo has better stuff.
    Less H/9, less BB/9, doesn't face pitchers and has a home park tailor made to punish his FB tendencies. I think he might surprise you.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post

Who hangs up?
    I know the NSA would get a good laugh out of this for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilEmpireDC View Post
    at this point, contention this year is a pipe dream
    The Yankees are far from favorites at this point, but contention is not a pipe dream. Playoff baseball is all about pitching and hitters getting hot. The Yankees definitely have the pitching and they have hitters (including a few on the DL) that could provide the offense needed.

That said making the playoffs is going to be a greater challenge than it has been in previous years. The Yankees are barely holding on with an offense that is clearly not up to that challenge. The next month will be telling because this team could easily fall into a funk that pushes them further from striking distance in the division and wild card races.

Who hangs up?
    Giants, can't see them dealing Pence he's critical to that offense. They need pitching, but not at the cost of their second best hitter.

Also both teams might be weary of dealing for impending FA's and losing the ability to offer arbitration to either.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Giants, can't see them dealing Pence he's critical to that offense. They need pitching, but not at the cost of their second best hitter.

Also both teams might be weary of dealing for impending FA's and losing the ability to offer arbitration to either.
    My original thought was to agree with you, but after further consideration, I am not sure that the Giants would simply hang up if Cashman came with this offer.

Although the Giants would be getting two potential FAs, they would be dealing one as well in Pence.

Hughes would instantly upgrade their starting rotation and Chamberlain would fit in well in their pen. Wells would give them a cost controlled option (particularly if the Yankees picked up part of his salary this year) to replace Pence in the OF.

However, the Giants would, at the same time, be giving up a large part of their offense - I am not certain that the gain from adding Hughes to the rotation would offset the loss of Pence from their offense.

Eventually, I think the Giants would say no.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

You can't be serious.
    how??

Are you expecting the same lineup that had like 4-5 guys batting sub .200 in the postseason the last few years to just wake up??

Without a big time move, we're out in the ALDS or the play-in game

Just my opinion
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

We are really expecting A-Rod, Granderson, Tex, and Youk to just magically wake up and go on a tear in October??

That's insane to me. The current team is washed up. DESPERATELY need a shot in the arm.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

how??

Are you expecting the same lineup that had like 4-5 guys batting sub .200 in the postseason the last few years to just wake up??

Without a big time move, we're out in the ALDS or the play-in game

Just my opinion

It certainly is.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

It certainly is.
    Mind if I ask what you see that makes you think they'll realistically compete?

Mind if I ask what you see that makes you think they'll realistically compete?
    Strong pitching staff and bullpen. Cervelli, Jeter, Arod, Granderson could be back by end of July. And if Cashman can get just one effective bat at the deadline, it should be enough to get us to the post season.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Strong pitching staff and bullpen. Cervelli, Jeter, Arod, Granderson could be back by end of July. And if Cashman can get just one effective bat at the deadline, it should be enough to get us to the post season.
    I'm talking about winning in October, not just getting there.

1) Any team that is good enough to get to the post-season is potentially good enough to win if the starting pitching gets hot.

2) But I agree this team looks pretty "desperate" for offense right now and won't make the playoffs if things do not improve considerably. If they continue to be so desperate, however, do you really want to give up top prospects to get an additional player? That might engage some fans, but right now it looks like they need more than gutting the farm system can secure. I.e. If the current roster, including the missing players, is "washed up" as you think, why would you want to give up the future for one or even two additions?

The pitching was fine last year. The offense went into the tank. The fact that they basically went into this season in even worse shape makes me weep.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I'm talking about winning in October, not just getting there.
    Agree with that. But first things first, we do have to be talking about just getting there.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Word on the street is that we're going after Nolasco

ESPN has reported that the Yankees and Orioles are “leading the parade of teams that already have interest” in him.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/1...sco-copes.html

I'm all for it as long as we don't give up any top prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    1) Any team that is good enough to get to the post-season is potentially good enough to win if the starting pitching gets hot.

2) But I agree this team looks pretty "desperate" for offense right now and won't make the playoffs if things do not improve considerably. If they continue to be so desperate, however, do you really want to give up top prospects to get an additional player? That might engage some fans, but right now it looks like they need more than gutting the farm system can secure. I.e. If the current roster, including the missing players, is "washed up" as you think, why would you want to give up the future for one or even two additions?
    this is why I struggle between wanting to make a "desperation" move and also wanting to blow it all up and start over.

Right now, I'm leaning to blowing it up after this season and standing back but I know the FO will never do that so making a desperation move is the best scenario for winning in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    My original thought was to agree with you, but after further consideration, I am not sure that the Giants would simply hang up if Cashman came with this offer.

Although the Giants would be getting two potential FAs, they would be dealing one as well in Pence.

Hughes would instantly upgrade their starting rotation and Chamberlain would fit in well in their pen. Wells would give them a cost controlled option (particularly if the Yankees picked up part of his salary this year) to replace Pence in the OF.

However, the Giants would, at the same time, be giving up a large part of their offense - I am not certain that the gain from adding Hughes to the rotation would offset the loss of Pence from their offense.

You're exaggerating the value of the players the Yankees give up. Wells is not really an everyday player, his early season hot streak was merely a mirage as he's come crashing back down to earth of late. Joba is an okay middle reliever who can setup if you have no one better. Hughes is at best a #3 starter that plays better as a #4.

Pence on the other hand is a middle of the order bat.

It just doesn't add up for the Giants. You take quality over mediocre quantity everyday.

Besides they could probably get a similar starter like Nolasco or Gallardo without giving up a guy like Pence.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan92 View Post
    Word on the street is that we're going after Nolasco

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/1...sco-copes.html

I'm all for it as long as we don't give up any top prospects.
    Pitching is the least of our worries right now.

Now, if they want to send us Giancarlo, I am willing to listen.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Triple Crown

This organization did absolutely nothing to get better during the offseason. Im going to assume they follow suit at the deadline. If anything, bet they sell guys off. All in the name of $189 million.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Why not the Yankees sign Hughes to a long term deal? He's only just turning 27 and with Kuroda and Pettitte gone soon the Yanks need a good 3rd or 4th starter. CC, Pineda, Hughes, Phelps should be fine for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Why not the Yankees sign Hughes to a long term deal? He's only just turning 27 and with Kuroda and Pettitte gone soon the Yanks need a good 3rd or 4th starter. CC, Pineda, Hughes, Phelps should be fine for years to come.
    you cannot be talking about Phil Hughes

Why would you want him back??

"Its ok guys. We have a 38 year old 3B, and a 39 year old SS ready to come back and rescue us. Relax." -Brian Cashman

they're certainly not going to rescue them, but getting them back, even in their old, broken down forms won't hurt either, in all likelihood.

I'm kind of scared to even go look at what the Yankees have gotten from SS and 3B this season, in terms of something like wRC+ or even raw OPS.

e: 56 wRC+/.576 OPS for SS, 68/.622 for 3B...

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    He's inconsistent and doesn't pitch well in Yankee stadium because he's a fly ball pitcher in a hitters park.

I'd give him a qualifying offer and hope that he holds out for the long term deal elsewhere. The best possible situation here is to get draft pick compensation.

Thread Information