+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1632
  1. #1

    2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    I think we got this thread up and running around the same time last year, so let's do it again. I think we could see a few big splashes this year as several teams with decent talent are forced to shed salary or go into full rebuilding mode.

    Off the top of my head, I'd like to see the Yankees inquire about:

    Cliff Lee and Giancarlo - because you have to ask
    Michael Young/Brendan Ryan (srsly) - presumably cheap and expendable minor upgrades at SS
    Chase Headley - I know the Padres want to keep him, but if they don't think they can, I'd be interested to see what they'd want
    Corey Hart, Willingham, Alex Rios, or Jason Heyward - in case Wells and Ichiro are done.


  2. #2
    why me Lord? NoWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City, MD

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I think we got this thread up and running around the same time last year, so let's do it again. I think we could see a few big splashes this year as several teams with decent talent are forced to shed salary or go into full rebuilding mode.

    Off the top of my head, I'd like to see the Yankees inquire about:

    Cliff Lee and Giancarlo - because you have to ask
    Michael Young/Brendan Ryan (srsly) - presumably cheap and expendable minor upgrades at SS
    Chase Headley - I know the Padres want to keep him, but if they don't think they can, I'd be interested to see what they'd want
    Corey Hart, Willingham, Alex Rios, or Jason Heyward - in case Wells and Ichiro are done.
    Okay-

    Lee- he's the only reliable starter the Phillies have. They think they can get back in the race if they get healthy. Not happening. Besides, he didn't come here when the dollars were on the table...he aint' waving a no trade to make it happen.

    Stanton- not enough prospects at every level of the minors combined to make this happen. If he goes anywhere, it will in all likelihood be Boston, they have the most pieces that match the Marlins' needs (granted, when you're that bad you need everything, but when you can start with Ellsbury, Lavarnway, Webster and De Larosa and build from there it's going to be tough to match)

    Young- good choice, but, once again, the Phillies think they can get back in. You don't give up a reasonsably priced veteran who can swing the stick like that.

    Headly- Padres aren't that far out, and they have no reason to move him regardless.

    Willingham/Rios/Hart- all possibilities

    Heyward- he's 23 years old(won't be 24 until August) and has already hit 61 home runs at the ML level. He has options. There is NO WAY the Braves are going to give up on this kid or let him go for nothing.

  3. #3

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    If the Yanks are being conservitative with payroll, Lee isnt coming here.

  4. #4

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    If the Yanks are being conservitative with payroll, Lee isnt coming here.
    Especially if the Phils ask for Eduardo Nunez.


  5. #5

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay View Post
    Okay-

    Lee- he's the only reliable starter the Phillies have. They think they can get back in the race if they get healthy. Not happening. Besides, he didn't come here when the dollars were on the table...he aint' waving a no trade to make it happen.
    I think you're discounting Cole Hamels a bit early. You may be right on the no-trade clause, but Lee might be happy to get out of Philly. I don't think there is a chance the Phillies come close to contending this year. And with both Stanton and Lee, as the biggest names potentially available, you have to ask. I agree they're both long shots.

    Stanton- not enough prospects at every level of the minors combined to make this happen. If he goes anywhere, it will in all likelihood be Boston, they have the most pieces that match the Marlins' needs (granted, when you're that bad you need everything, but when you can start with Ellsbury, Lavarnway, Webster and De Larosa and build from there it's going to be tough to match)
    We have the prospects to land Stanton - whether it would be prudent to ship a good chunk of our farm off for him is another question. Whyyyy would the Marlins want Ellsbury for a half season??

    Young- good choice, but, once again, the Phillies think they can get back in. You don't give up a reasonsably priced veteran who can swing the stick like that.
    I think you're overestimating Young at this point in his career. He's just not very good. He has an OPS+ of 92.

    Headly- Padres aren't that far out, and they have no reason to move him regardless.
    They're six games out in their division, with three teams ahead of them. And the Dodgers are probably better. I doubt they have any playoff aspirations this year. I know they want to build around Headley, but it can't hurt to ask.

    Heyward- he's 23 years old(won't be 24 until August) and has already hit 61 home runs at the ML level. He has options. There is NO WAY the Braves are going to give up on this kid or let him go for nothing.
    There's no way they should give up on him, but I see a few reasons they might. He has struggled for over a year now, he has back problems, they need a spot for Gattis, and Schafer is playing well (granted, he's going to crash hard). Maybe they trade McCann instead. Something has to give over there though. Too many pieces not fitting together.


  6. #6
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I think we got this thread up and running around the same time last year, so let's do it again.
    And I said it last year, so I'll say it again.

    You can't have a Hot Stove thread in June. Hot Stove is what happens in the offseason, when it's cold and people gather round a hot stove. That's why they call it that.

    You could call the thread the "2013 Cold Air Conditioner/Trade Rumors Thread." Or just "2013 Trade Rumors Thread" would do nicely.

  7. #7
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    I said a week or two ago - and agree with jc - that Young would be a very good trade target for this team.

    Has always hit LHP - a sore spot for this team.

    Plays every IF position, allowing for Nix and/or Nunez to be cut loose (and Brignac).

    Is on what was at the start of the season a 1/$6MM after the Rangers' subsidy.

    Didn't cost the Phillies much to acquire.

    Only problem is since then the Phillies have been playing very well. Still, to get to 90 wins they'd have to win 63 of the last 105 games. Doesn't seem likely. But doubt they'd trade him yet.

  8. #8
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoWay View Post
    Okay-

    Lee- he's the only reliable starter the Phillies have. They think they can get back in the race if they get healthy. Not happening. Besides, he didn't come here when the dollars were on the table...he aint' waving a no trade to make it happen.
    That was when he thought the Phillies would actually be good.

  9. #9
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    With the Angels season nearly a lost cause I wonder if they would consider trading Trumbo for pitching?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  10. #10
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    CarGo - I'd definitely be interested in him.

    • 7 years/$80M (2011-17)
      • signed extension with Colorado 1//11/11
      • $3M signing bonus
      • 11:$1M, 12:$5M, 13:$7.5M, 14:$10.5M, 15:$16M, 16:$17M, 17:$20M


    $11M AAV against the cap.


    He's hitting on the road this year as well. I just don't know if the Rockies would trade him yet. Probably not, but I'm sure his name will be mentioned.

  11. #11
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    I'd love to try to buy low on Jason Heyward for sure. I wonder what it would take. I'd like to see what the Braves want for McAnn as well.

  12. #12

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Only problem is since then the Phillies have been playing very well. Still, to get to 90 wins they'd have to win 63 of the last 105 games. Doesn't seem likely. But doubt they'd trade him yet.
    They're probably the 3rd/4th best team in that division, and the WC (maybe both) will probably come out of the Central. If they're pragmatic about the likelihood of making the playoffs, they'll start to consider moving some pieces. I think it will be more apparent closer to the deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    With the Angels season nearly a lost cause I wonder if they would consider trading Trumbo for pitching?
    I wanted to trade for Kendrys Morales before Seattle acquired him, and I still think he'd be a better fit. I'm not sold on Trumbo's walk rate. His career OBP is .309.


  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    With the Angels season nearly a lost cause I wonder if they would consider trading Trumbo for pitching?
    Dalton, maybe.

  14. #14
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    We have the prospects to land Stanton - whether it would be prudent to ship a good chunk of our farm off for him is another question. Whyyyy would the Marlins want Ellsbury for a half season??
    No we don't. Yes, we could put a package together that one could argue would be fair value for Stanton, but there are several teams who could put together a better package, and someone would.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  15. #15

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Dalton, maybe.
    that's (robert) rich.

  16. #16

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    No we don't. Yes, we could put a package together that one could argue would be fair value for Stanton, but there are several teams who could put together a better package, and someone would.
    That's what I was saying. We have enough prospects to get Stanton, and could even probably put together a package that no other team would want to match. But that would just not be smart.


  17. #17

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    That's what I was saying. We have enough prospects to get Stanton, and could even probably put together a package that no other team would want to match. But that would just not be smart.
    In trades like this, the Marlins would never take prospects not close to the majors. They want Major League-ready talent, or players with less than a year or two of service. We simply cannot put together a good offer. All our good prospects are in the lower minors. There is NO WAY we could match a team like Texas or Boston or St. Louis or any team with good to great prospects in the high minors. And it's Stanton, teams will bid.

    Boss added a more likely (and I think better) name in CarGo. I haven't heard any reason the Rockies would move him, but he's got a big price tag, which would rule out some teams not willing to take on the money. It would still cost a lot, but it'd be interesting.

    And please keep Michael Young away. He's awful and I'd rather just play Nix or Youklis. Where would Young fit? I hope you guys don't think SS. He can't play SS or 3B (defense is horrid at those). He would make Jeter look like Ozzie Smith.

    Cliff Lee makes a lot of sense. I like it.

  18. #18

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Michael Young isn't bad.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

  19. #19

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    In trades like this, the Marlins would never take prospects not close to the majors. They want Major League-ready talent, or players with less than a year or two of service. We simply cannot put together a good offer. All our good prospects are in the lower minors. There is NO WAY we could match a team like Texas or Boston or St. Louis or any team with good to great prospects in the high minors. And it's Stanton, teams will bid.
    Fair enough, although I don't know why the Marlins would want MLB players. Other than Fernandez, their top prospects are still a few years away. Yelich, Marisnick, and Conley are all in AA still and guys like Hechavarria, Ozuna, and Brantly were probably brought up too soon (and maybe aren't that good anyway). I'm really not sure what the plan is down there.

    Boss added a more likely (and I think better) name in CarGo. I haven't heard any reason the Rockies would move him, but he's got a big price tag, which would rule out some teams not willing to take on the money. It would still cost a lot, but it'd be interesting.
    I just don't see them wanting to move him, at least not until 2014, after which his annual salary gets a bump.

    And please keep Michael Young away. He's awful and I'd rather just play Nix or Youklis. Where would Young fit? I hope you guys don't think SS. He can't play SS or 3B (defense is horrid at those). He would make Jeter look like Ozzie Smith.
    Yeah, probably not much of an upgrade, although Nix is a terrible defender at SS. Fangraphs has him as an excellent OFer though. Huh.


    Cliff Lee makes a lot of sense. I like it.
    I'd like to have him, but it doesn't seem likely.


  20. #20

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Would love to inquire about McCann. Padres won't trade chase unless they become a complete disaster. Hart and young would be good pieces too.

  21. #21
    Bazinga Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Purely for selfish reasons, the Yankees should go after Carlos Santana so Gomes gets the job full time and I can reap the benefits in fantasy.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

  22. #22

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Purely for selfish reasons, the Yankees should go after Carlos Santana so Gomes gets the job full time and I can reap the benefits in fantasy.
    Santana is a terrible defensively, Girardi would never allow it.

  23. #23

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    I'd love to get someone like Stanton and would have no problem emptying pretty much the entire system for him, but still don't see it happening. In this day and age there's no reason to trade a young cost controlled bat like that unless you're getting another young cost controlled proven player. And with the Yankees system and the way its been going this year you're looking at probably a lower ranked system that has no upper tier talent on the verge of the majors. The only way this type of trade would be feasible is if one of our AA OF's was absolutely mashing right now and could be the centerpiece of the deal. Sanchez and DePaula in A ball is not nearly enough to start the conversation. Williams, Austin, and Heathcott are starting to lose some luster with lackluster starts to their year. I seriously do not think all 5 of those guys would be enough to get Miami to the table.

    I think the Yankees should target some more under the radar guys that are signed beyond this year. Guys like Dejesus and Schierholtz in Chicago or Denorfia in San Diego. Any of these guys would be an upgrade this year and next in either of the corner OF spots. And none has the billing to command a top tier prospects.

    My guess is they'll probably look at guys like Corey Hart (when healthy), Alex Rios, Josh Willingham. I think OF is the most likely trade target for sure, but obviously it depends on how guys recover from their injuries. If Jeter or Cervelli has a setback SS and C immediately become priorities. Otherwise I think Cash will probably stick with what he has there and ride it out.

  24. #24
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    CarGo - I'd definitely be interested in him.

    • 7 years/$80M (2011-17)
      • signed extension with Colorado 1//11/11
      • $3M signing bonus
      • 11:$1M, 12:$5M, 13:$7.5M, 14:$10.5M, 15:$16M, 16:$17M, 17:$20M


    $11M AAV against the cap.


    He's hitting on the road this year as well. I just don't know if the Rockies would trade him yet. Probably not, but I'm sure his name will be mentioned.
    $7.5M for a 1.000+ OPS. What the hell.

    e: They also have Tulo and his 170 OPS+ for $10M.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    EvilEmpireDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Drexel Univ.

    Re: 2013 Hot Stove/ Trade Rumors Thread

    I've been wondering this for a long while? What is our plan?

    The team we currently have (even when 100% healthy) is miles away from #28 offensively. If the goal is still a WS every year then something big needs to be done pretty soon. The pitching isn't bad, the bullpen is pretty good in general but we still have that disappearing act of an offense. Do the FO think we can win it this year? I'm out of market so I can only get but so much info on stuff like that.

    I know money is a touchy thing but the last 2 years have been the first time in a while where I really felt there was no chance of winning it all.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts