Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

2013 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Hoping to see this Gentle Giant begin his rehab assignment soon and join the big club. He was removed from his latest start do to a split fingernail, but all is well. Should be joining a minor league affiliate shortly.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Re: 2013 Michael Pineda Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Hoping to see this Gentle Giant begin his rehab assignment soon and join the big club. He was removed from his latest start do to a split fingernail, but all is well. Should be joining a minor league affiliate shortly.
    Agreed. A resurgent Pineda would be HUGE for this year and more importantly the next few years.

If i'm not mistaken hes pitching in his last EST game today and will then begin his rehab assignment.

Cant wait to see how his stuff looks against live hitters in the minors, especially his off speed stuff.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Excited to see what he can do. He'll benefit from reduced expectations as well, after not only the injuries but also Montero's complete downward spiral with Seattle. For the record, I think Montero's better than he's been playing, but so far Pineda doesn't have to do much to make that trade a good one.

NYYF Legend

Why have we heard nothing about his EXT start? After the last one we even had an average velo reading. This one is complete silence outside of that nebulous Hal comment.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Why have we heard nothing about his EXT start? After the last one we even had an average velo reading. This one is complete silence outside of that nebulous Hal comment.
    This is all I've seen:

Via Dan Martin & Brian Lewis: Right-hander Michael Pineda will begin an official 30-day minor league rehab assignment with High-A Tampa on Saturday. He came through yesterday’s 65-pitch Extended Spring Training outing just fine after cracking a fingernail last week. There have been no issues with his surgically repaired shoulder.
    Link

It cannot be understated how important Pineda's rehab and further development is to this organization. Pitchers with his upside just don't become available on the open market and the Yankees still have him under control for 4 plus years.

I won't expect much from him in terms of performance this season but I still have hopes that he can be what he thought he would be for this team going into 2012.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Legend

Michael Pineda (shoulder) will begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with High-A Tampa.

Pineda was given the go-ahead after he threw 65 pitches in an extended spring game Monday without incident. His cracked fingernail is no longer an issue and his surgically-repaired shoulder feels good. The Yankees will likely use the entire 30-day rehab window to evaluate his readiness. There's a chance that he'll be optioned to the minors at the end of the rehab assignment if there's no obvious fit for him at the major league level. Still, he figures to make an impact at some point during the second half.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    It cannot be understated how important Pineda's rehab and further development is to this organization. Pitchers with his upside just don't become available on the open market and the Yankees still have him under control for 4 plus years.

I won't expect much from him in terms of performance this season but I still have hopes that he can be what he thought he would be for this team going into 2012.
    Agreed - I am very excited to see what he can bring to the table. I don't expect results right away, but I hope we can see some of his dynamite stuff on display.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Completely agree. With Pettitte, Kuroda and Hughes's Yankee futures uncertain, and Phelps and Nova established as back end starters, his recovery holds a big key to their performance in the next few years.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

This is also huge -

Brian Cashman has indicated the team will use all 30 days of the rehab assignment — so five or six starts, basically — before deciding whether the 24-year-old Pineda will be put into the big league rotation or sent to Triple-A for further fine-tuning. That decision will depend as much on the state of the rotation as it will his readiness, I think. It’s worth noting that if the Yankees send Pineda for Triple-A for roughly two weeks — after the rehab is over, it has to be an official optional assignment — they will delay his free agency by a year. That will essentially “buy back” the 2012 season they lost to injury.

http://riveraveblues.com/

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This is also huge -

Brian Cashman has indicated the team will use all 30 days of the rehab assignment — so five or six starts, basically — before deciding whether the 24-year-old Pineda will be put into the big league rotation or sent to Triple-A for further fine-tuning. That decision will depend as much on the state of the rotation as it will his readiness, I think. It’s worth noting that if the Yankees send Pineda for Triple-A for roughly two weeks — after the rehab is over, it has to be an official optional assignment — they will delay his free agency by a year. That will essentially “buy back” the 2012 season they lost to injury.

http://riveraveblues.com/
    Awesome. It really won't hurt to have him pitch 6 weeks total in the minors since he has been out of action for so long. That and a full extra year of control will be worth it.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

Gentle giant?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Awesome. It really won't hurt to have him pitch 6 weeks total in the minors since he has been out of action for so long. That and a full extra year of control will be worth it.
    I'd be really surprised if they didn't hold him back and take the extra year. He can still earn megabucks through arb eventually, but the opportunity to get that year back is too significant to pass up.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Agreed - I am very excited to see what he can bring to the table. I don't expect results right away, but I hope we can see some of his dynamite stuff on display.
    I say this without a hint of hyperbole: Pineda potentially coming back is the thing I am most excited for as a Yankees fan this year, and everything else - including the wins and losses on the field at the ML level - is a very distant second.

Pineda - between his talent, physical size, and ML production - is just intoxicating to me as a fan.

NYYF Cy Young

This is probably a dumb question, but does "official optional assignment" mean as in "options", as opposed to it being optional for Pineda - i.e.he can refuse?

I say this without a hint of hyperbole: Pineda potentially coming back is the thing I am most excited for as a Yankees fan this year, and everything else - including the wins and losses on the field at the ML level - is a very distant second.

Pineda - between his talent, physical size, and ML production - is just intoxicating to me as a fan.
    I'm glad to hear you say this, since I've been viewing this as the Yankees adding a potential 1/2 type starter at some point this year. Especially with the early reports of his velocity.

It has the chance to have enormous impact, yet he's rarely mentioned in talks about injured players returning.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

I feel the exact same way. I recall that post you made last year which showed the historical significance of what he accomplished as a rookie.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm glad to hear you say this, since I've been viewing this as the Yankees adding a potential 1/2 type starter at some point this year. Especially with the early reports of his velocity.
    That'd be awesome, but he doesn't even have to be a 1/2 this year for me. Just as long as he shows progression and that he has the same/similar potential we saw prior to the injury, I'll be in fan heaven.

I feel the exact same way. I recall that post you made last year which showed the historical significance of what he accomplished as a rookie.
    Yeah, it's just such a truly unique opportunity our favorite team has. What if he's legitimately dominant again and the Yankees are locked into his prime years for minimal money?!

feels like it will be similar to Joba Chamberlain in 2007, minus the bullpen. I'm sure the kid gloves will come into play, but i doubt they will mess with Pineda like they have with other pitching prospects in the past.

Let the kid pitch and see what happens ... cannot stress that enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post

It has the chance to have enormous impact, yet he's rarely mentioned in talks about injured players returning.
    Agreed all around.

They'd better not try to jam him in the bullpen later this season though.

Yeah, it's just such a truly unique opportunity our favorite team has. What if he's legitimately dominant again and the Yankees are locked into his prime years for minimal money?!
    i agree!!

i still care about the Yankees win-loss record, so i'm not quite at the point you're at, but I'm excited by Pineda.

He is a potential ace, who has already shown he can do it. It's all about the shoulder now... pray for the shoulder....if the shoulder is ok, i have a feeling he's going to deliver...prime years for minimal money!!!

Michael is locked in for Minimal Monies...

:-)

was his velocity really seen to be 95 or is that a rumor?
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Agreed all around.
    Add me to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    feels like it will be similar to Joba Chamberlain in 2007, minus the bullpen. I'm sure the kid gloves will come into play, but i doubt they will mess with Pineda like they have with other pitching prospects in the past.

Let the kid pitch and see what happens ... cannot stress that enough.
    Yep, hope they live and learn.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Gentle giant?
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Thread Information