Re: Yankees to run MLS's 20th franchise

Very cool.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post

Ugh. Focus on baseball for Gods sake.
    I don't understand this guy's infatuation with soccer, it's like he's bored with the Yankees. And look at the name he's giving to the new team: "New York City Football Club" - huh? Real creative, and it's called soccer on this side of the ocean, Euro-boy.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I don't understand this guy's infatuation with soccer, it's like he's bored with the Yankees. And look at the name he's giving to the new team: "New York City Football Club" - huh? Real creative, and it's called soccer on this side of the ocean, Euro-boy.
    You play the ignorant American role perfectly. Bravo. Steinbrenner's are business men, this is a great business opportunity to join a sports league that is hitting its stride.

Should just be New York F.C.

New York City Football Club is just a mouthful.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Should just be New York F.C.

New York City Football Club is just a mouthful.
    Eh. I like NYC F.C. better than NY F.C.

NYYF Legend

Scranton Wilkes-Barre FC.

I just dislike the Manchester City partnership. If it didn't make me want to puke, I'd force myself to vomit.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

I think it's all a highly creative subterfuge to move A-Rod to the ASL and get his contract off the books, thereby giving Hal his chance at the $189 million payroll
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Devoted Member

I'd go with Yankees F.C.

Is Euro-Boy supposed to be an insult or something? This is the only country in the world (except maybe Canada) that doesn't call it Football.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Is Euro-Boy supposed to be an insult or something? This is the only country in the world (except maybe Canada) that doesn't call it Football.
    And football (the real one) is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>American football.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I dont like soccer
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

//exits the room quietly while the hooligans look away

Soccer bores me and men in skinny jeans are repulsive, regardless of what the rest of the world thinks. There are some things that Americans do a lot better and American football is one of them.
    Last edited by ArodEra; 05-22-13 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    //exits the room quietly while the hooligans look away

LOL !

We already have a team with a great official name : New York Football Giants Inc.

New York City Football Club ???? Please. The only team name that worked even for a few years was the COSMOS.

Addicted Member

A little worried that Hal is spending his money on futbol and not baseball. But other than that I could care less. Man City is my favorite futbol team in the world and now the Yankees are starting a City franchise in the US. Yes!

City! City! Greatest team in all the world!!

Man U fans suck it!!

NYYF Cy Young

I wonder what the Red Bulls think about this - I am surprised they don't have some kind of territory rights for the NYC area.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I wonder what the Red Bulls think about this - I am surprised they don't have some kind of territory rights for the NYC area.
    There's actually a lot of background on this. They call themselves the New York Red Bull and in the past have always publicly said they would welcome a new NYC team for the rivalry. But as expansion in NYC became more serious, they changed their tune and tried to block it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    A little worried that Hal is spending his money on futbol and not baseball. But other than that I could care less. Man City is my favorite futbol team in the world and now the Yankees are starting a City franchise in the US. Yes!

City! City! Greatest team in all the world!!

Man U fans suck it!!
    Tout the Yankees winning the World Series, and City finishing up as runners up in the league and FA Cup.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    Tout the Yankees winning the World Series, and City finishing up as runners up in the league and FA Cup.

Aguero!! Aguero!! Aguero!! Still hurts doesn't it.

I wonder where they are going to play...

They should play at NYS, probably would draw more then the Yankees have been

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sorianoNY12 View Post
    I wonder where they are going to play...

They should play at NYS, probably would draw more then the Yankees have been
    Nobody is saying anything, but it's got to be addressed. If they play at Yankee Stadium there will be issues because the MLS season overlaps with the MLB season.

I have no idea what they're going to do, this is a big problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they played at the meadowlands for a couple years while they build a park in corona. Would they consider expanding the Columbia field in Inwood?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    Aguero!! Aguero!! Aguero!! Still hurts doesn't it.
    Not at all. Pictures of Sir Alex holding some hardware, Rio pointing to the back of Van Persie's jersey, while Evra smiles and chews on a toy arm's hand makes me feel way better. Can't wait for the Community Shield.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

The next and far larger task will be to find a new home for the team, which expects to begin playing in 2015 at Yankee Stadium, Citi Field or another temporary home. M.L.S. and the mayor say that a roughly 10-acre area in the eastern end of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park is an ideal site for a stadium because it is near public transportation and a concentration of soccer fans, and would pour tens of millions of dollars into a heavily used but underfinanced park.

As compensation for receiving the land to build a stadium, Manchester City has pledged to spend about $90 million to buy replacement parkland, replace soccer fields and make other improvements to the park, which the mayor said is sorely needed.

The project, though, faces opposition from parks and community activists as well as skeptical community boards that see the stadium as an encroachment on public land and essentially a giveaway to a foreign billionaire. These increasingly vocal skeptics are a reason Manchester City partnered with the Yankees, who have political muscle and practical experience building stadiums in New York.

Randy Levine, the president of the Yankees, promised to have a new stadium built despite opposition. “As we embark for a new stadium here, all of us know that the usual suspects will be out there again,” he said. “But the Yankees, Manchester City, M.L.S. are committed.”

Levine said that the Yankees and Manchester City would assess the proposed site for the stadium in Queens, but look elsewhere if needed, including at locations not previously considered and at private property. Levine added that the Mets, who have demanded a hefty share of parking revenue for use of the lots at Citi Field, are not an impediment to reaching a deal for a stadium.

“They’re big boys, they have their own interests,” he said. “Like everything, it’s a negotiation.”

After saying that Flushing Meadows-Corona Park was an ideal location for a stadium, the mayor struck a more conciliatory tone, suggesting that the new soccer team could end up elsewhere in the city.

“Nobody should think they have got a lock on this,” he said. “There are lots of different places you can build a stadium. I just want to make sure it’s in New York City and we get it done.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/23/sp...perations.html

Thread Information