+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yankees uniform database

Hey everyone, without sounding like a shameless plug I just wanted to let my fellow Yankee fans know that I have just completed work on a visual database of every uniform ever worn by the Yankees. I spent over a year and a half researching and recreating the uniforms and logos of the Yankees from 1903 to today and just compiled them into a blog yesterday. I hope it can become the number one place for Yankee and baseball fans in general to go to find information on the uniforms, logos, and general design of the Yankees. Over time I'll write posts covering all sorts of topics and eventually add all BP, and All-Star Game uniforms as well as jackets/warmup team issued gear.

Not sure if I should have posted this in the history section or not, but I hope you guys take a look around and let me know what you think.

http://yankeesuniformdatabase.blogspot.com/

Re: Yankees uniform database

You might want to rethink the title of your pages for 1903-1912 since they were known as the Highlanders during those years.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    You might want to rethink the title of your pages for 1903-1912 since they were known as the Highlanders during those years.
    I had considered doing that, but for the sake of uniformity, and being that it's the history of the franchise currently known as the Yankees, I decided to just keep it labeled as Yankees. Plus, while the team didn't officially change its name until 1913, there are newspaper records referring to the team as the Yankees dating back as early as 1904. Thanks for checking it out.

Very cool!

Good luck.

Your site was mentioned on uniwatch today.

they were known as the Highlanders during those years.
    "There can be only one!"

Addicted Member

Excellent work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrig39 View Post
    Hey everyone, without sounding like a shameless plug I just wanted to let my fellow Yankee fans know that I have just completed work on a visual database of every uniform ever worn by the Yankees. I spent over a year and a half researching and recreating the uniforms and logos of the Yankees from 1903 to today and just compiled them into a blog yesterday. I hope it can become the number one place for Yankee and baseball fans in general to go to find information on the uniforms, logos, and general design of the Yankees. Over time I'll write posts covering all sorts of topics and eventually add all BP, and All-Star Game uniforms as well as jackets/warmup team issued gear.

Not sure if I should have posted this in the history section or not, but I hope you guys take a look around and let me know what you think.

http://yankeesuniformdatabase.blogspot.com/
    Great work.

Question...before the last game at OYS some old timers (remember Yogi and Stick Michael specificall) wore uniforms that were a different color than the blue pinstripes against the white. They were wearing more a cream colored uniform. I never really knew why, but I'm assuming that the Yanks wore more of a cream colored uni for a long time? The differences were actually pretty stark and it surprised me.

Great work and thanks!

Two things the Yanks need to get rid of - the raglan sleeves and stripes on their away jersey sleeves, both introduced in 1973 along with polyester. So freakin '70s. Oh, and go back to the more subtle, cream-colored home whites instead of the glaring, bright whites. Kinda likes the numbering better prior to 1973 as well. Loved Mickey's #7.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Great work.

Question...before the last game at OYS some old timers (remember Yogi and Stick Michael specificall) wore uniforms that were a different color than the blue pinstripes against the white. They were wearing more a cream colored uniform. I never really knew why, but I'm assuming that the Yanks wore more of a cream colored uni for a long time? The differences were actually pretty stark and it surprised me.
    Funny, I mentioned the cream-colored whites in my above post. I was aware of the difference a while back, from looking at old pics of Mantle, Ford, Berra, Howard, etc. Always thought they looked classier and more subtle. You'll notice that some of the old timers games, Berra, Ford and company trot out in the cream-colored versions. The old unis look so much nicer in comparison when they're standing next to the current version.

I believe the Mets went back to the old school cream-colored unis last year.

NYYF Legend

wow this is very cool, thanks!!
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Great work.

According to my father whose been to a ton of Yankees games from the 50's till today and my grandfather who watched from Ruth till 2002 they Yanks never wore a cream colored uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    According to my father whose been to a ton of Yankees games from the 50's till today and my grandfather who watched from Ruth till 2002 they Yanks never wore a cream colored uniform.
    No disrespect intended, but perhaps they forgot, because it was so long ago. But, the Yanks used to wear off-whites (aka cream-colored or egg white, whatever you want to call it) unis at home. They always weren't the bright whites of today. It changed in 1973. This is something my own father has confirmed a while back in conversation. Maybe someone here who saw the old Yanks can chime in.

Thanks guys!

The difference you're seeing is due to a change in uniform materials. Prior to 1973, the Yankees uniforms were made of wool flannel. The flannel would appear off-white in color simply due to the nature of the material and depending on game use and exposure. In 1973, the Yankees were the last team (what else would you expect) to switch their uniforms to doubleknit polyester. As a synthetic fiber, the polyester is able to achieve a more pure white.

The uniforms at the last game at the stadium were made of polyester and cream colored (though I felt they went slightly overboard with it IMO) to emulate flannel. For old timers day in 2010, the team honored the living members of the 1950 Yankees by having them wear actual flannel uniforms which were manufactured by the Ebbets Field Flannels company in Seattle. I've always thought it would be a nice nod to team history if the Yankees wore throwback uniforms (flannel or polyester) every old timers day - each year picking a different year to honor.

Sounds like a very reasonable explanation, Gehrig 39. I notice in some old color photos, the color of the wool flannels are more cream-colored than others, which probably had to do with the exposure to the elements and game use as you describe. But there is no doubt that the hue changed (for reasons you explained) when they went to the polyester double knits. I also prefer the older style sleeves to the raglan sleeves that the polyesters introduced. Ditto the numbers. As for the away jerseys, I hope they do away with those stripes on the sleeves that so many teams wore throughout the 70s and have since abandoned.

Great stuff. Thanks again!

Don't get me wrong, I do love our current uniforms, but I agree. This year marks the 40th year of the Yankees wearing essentially the same style of doubleknit jerseys. The team should go back to the original set-in sleeves for both jerseys and remove the trim on the aways. I think they would just be afraid of changing the uniforms because of perceived fan backlash. I'm hoping that with my site more fans will become aware of the many different looks we've had in the past and be more accepting of or vocally supportive to any change in the future. I think the throwbacks last year helped break some of that ground already because they were so well received. Perhaps the organization took notice.

Yep, still the greatest, most classic uniform in all of sports, IMO. But, I just happen to prefer the pre-'73 home with set-in sleeves as opposed to raglan, and, the away jerseys, sans the trim - the white border on "New York" and the striped sleeves. I'm surprised they still have the trim on their away uniforms, as most teams that incorporated that look in the 70's have done away with it.

I think most fans would be accepting of these small, yet significant changes, because as you said, they're already familiar with them when the team wears throwbacks. Who doesn't appreciate a nod to the past, especially if some consider it an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    No disrespect intended, but perhaps they forgot, because it was so long ago. But, the Yanks used to wear off-whites (aka cream-colored or egg white, whatever you want to call it) unis at home. They always weren't the bright whites of today. It changed in 1973. This is something my own father has confirmed a while back in conversation. Maybe someone here who saw the old Yanks can chime in.
    The unis may have been an off white or turned an off white due to every player not having a ton of unis like the player of today. The Yanks never wore a deep cream color like the old timers did in the 08 closing ceremonies.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    The unis may have been an off white or turned an off white due to every player not having a ton of unis like the player of today. The Yanks never wore a deep cream color like the old timers did in the 08 closing ceremonies.
    Perhaps, it's a combination of what you guys are saying, and maybe it wasn't a deep cream, but whatever the reason - fabric, usage, etc., they weren't as bright white as they are today; a more "subtle" off-white.

An example:

Yogi back in the day, pre-polyster:

A more recent photo of Yogi in the "new" style uniform:

Here's an example where it's not as off-white as Yogi's (less exposure to the elements?) but certainly not as bright white as the uniform is today:

Faith is a funny thing.

Your site is great! Many thanks.

It's a wool thing....

Wool has a tenancy to yellow or turn cream colored over time, especially after repeated washings. Back in the 60's, white wool sweat socks that yellowed; worn with Chucks were a fashion statement in my old hood.

Great site although with all of the special patches, hats, throwbacks, etc. that the merchandising whores keep coming up with, you will need more bandwidth to post all the variants!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy #1 View Post
    It's a wool thing....

Wool has a tenancy to yellow or turn cream colored over time, especially after repeated washings. Back in the 60's, white wool sweat socks that yellowed; worn with Chucks were a fashion statement in my old hood.

Great site although with all of the special patches, hats, throwbacks, etc. that the merchandising whores keep coming up with, you will need more bandwidth to post all the variants!
    Bingo!!

NYYF Legend

Gotta say this is a really nice site, thanks for your work
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Not to steal any thunder from our NYYFans colleague but for those that were unaware, the Baseball Hall of Fame maintains an online uniform database for all teams (including the Federal League):

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...s/database.htm
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

NYYF Legend

Not to steal any thunder from our NYYFans colleague but for those that were unaware, the Baseball Hall of Fame maintains an online uniform database for all teams (including the Federal League):

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...s/database.htm

true but I like Gehrig39 did in including each variation during the season especially in the early 2000s

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

The NY on the 1905 uniforms was just butt ugly.

I kinda like the RW&B version of the 1916 uniform and the pinstripes on the same year's away uniform.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information