+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Yankee Attendance (Or Lack Therof) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    That overstates the decrease a bit, because attendance is almost always lower in the early part of the season, so the average attendance thus far is probably lower than it will be over the whole season. Compared to the same period last year, attendance is down 8.1%. Of course, the team was competitive last year, and if the early start doesn't hold, that gap may indeed widen as the season goes on.
    Well, it certainly is describing the amount of tickets sold in advance in terms of plan and full season buys.

Since plans spread their games throughout the season, it shows that there are fewer people buying plans in advance.

And as long as there is inventory in the secondary market, you won't see a spike during high summer.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    Last edited by dstoffa; 05-13-13 at 08:45 AM. Reason: grammar

I also think the lack of "star power" in the current lineup makes a big difference. People take their kids to see Jeter and other all stars, and while Cano is their best player he doesn't engender that type of "I need to go see Robbie" as Jeter does.

Going to YS these days is going to a mall to see a baseball game. Nothing "must see" about it, nothing that has your kids begging to go. So value plays a huge part, and there is no value in YS. If there's no star power in a MLB game, kids will typically have a better time at a MiLB game.

NYYF Cy Young

I think the real test will be when we have Jeter, Granderson, and Tex all back in the lineup (maybe ARod) and we're still hovering around 1st place.

Too many factors right now: School, a lineup of scrubs, weather, and basketball/hockey playoffs with a bunch of NY teams.

NYYF Legend

My take on things is that baseball is on the decline. Not a permanent decline, but a decline from the steroid era where slugging was hugely hyped up and people had to watch. Now that they squeezed the juice, it's back to a more traditional type of game which is boring for a lot of the bandwagon instant gratification viewing population. For those people that need to be stimulated constantly, they've turned to the NFL/NBA/NHL.

You often see season attendance spikes at various ballparks, but those usually follow big signings and sudden influxes of payroll or new facilities. The Yankees have already had their boost from the free agent signings and new stadium. It's nice - but it's not a new car anymore, we're just paying the 39th monthly car payment when the guy next door just bought a different model.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    My take on things is that baseball is on the decline. Not a permanent decline, but a decline from the steroid era where slugging was hugely hyped up and people had to watch. Now that they squeezed the juice, it's back to a more traditional type of game which is boring for a lot of the bandwagon instant gratification viewing population. For those people that need to be stimulated constantly, they've turned to the NFL/NBA/NHL.

You often see season attendance spikes at various ballparks, but those usually follow big signings and sudden influxes of payroll or new facilities. The Yankees have already had their boost from the free agent signings and new stadium. It's nice - but it's not a new car anymore, we're just paying the 39th monthly car payment when the guy next door just bought a different model.
    The NFL is actually down too, the league has removed premium seats form sell out counts to keep blackouts form happening, and outside of our area the NBA attendance in many spots is in a freefall. HD TV, time changes (flex scheduling and ESPN Sunday Nights) , high concession prices and parking and just technology that make it less desirable to sit in a stadium/arena for 3 hours is really an issue these teams will need to resolve. The NHL benefits from a loyal arena fan base, but of course no eyeballs on the sets.

These leagues need to step in before they become a studio sport

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    The NFL is actually down too, the league has removed premium seats form sell out counts to keep blackouts form happening, and outside of our area the NBA attendance in many spots is in a freefall. HD TV, time changes (flex scheduling and ESPN Sunday Nights) , high concession prices and parking and just technology that make it less desirable to sit in a stadium/arena for 3 hours is really an issue these teams will need to resolve. The NHL benefits from a loyal arena fan base, but of course no eyeballs on the sets.

These leagues need to step in before they become a studio sport
    Yes on the NFL stadium attendance, but the TV numbers keep going way up. Don't forget we've moved beyond the "people are watching the Yankees on YES instead of the Stadium" because YES viewership is way down too. BTW the NHL had all time record TV ratings this year

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Yes on the NFL stadium attendance, but the TV numbers keep going way up. Don't forget we've moved beyond the "people are watching the Yankees on YES instead of the Stadium" because YES viewership is way down too. BTW the NHL had all time record TV ratings this year
    The NHL did but how much of that is canning the first half of a season that tends to drag (the half played during MLB post season and football weekends too)

The YES ratings I did not know about, point taken.

The NFL TV ratings I know are through the roof, sorry if my point got lost in the post, it was that the HD/technology experience on NFL gameday is so good now, people actually miss out when going to games. The league needs to combat that as does MLB

Devoted Member

The league needs to combat that as does MLB
    But, do the leagues really need to combat that if they are making tons of money from the TV contracts?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    But, do the leagues really need to combat that if they are making tons of money from the TV contracts?
    I guess it depends on how much of a studio audience they want to have.

Tonight's matchup of CC vs King Felix and great weather --you can't ask for a better game. Interesting to see if this game is close to sold out.

Two years ago on this date the attendance was 48,000 but it was a Saturday. The closest Tuesday in 2011 the attendance was 42,000.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

The NHL did but how much of that is canning the first half of a season that tends to drag (the half played during MLB post season and football weekends too)

The YES ratings I did not know about, point taken.

The NFL TV ratings I know are through the roof, sorry if my point got lost in the post, it was that the HD/technology experience on NFL gameday is so good now, people actually miss out when going to games. The league needs to combat that as does MLB
    TV Ratings are not the only metric that count in Audience Measurement nowadays. The digital forum also has a huge role to play nowadays in North America. Ppl need to realize the changes occuring in the way fans consume their sports nowadays.

EDIT http://www.pinstripedbible.com/2013/...bubble-for-mlb
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Tonight's matchup of CC vs King Felix and great weather --you can't ask for a better game. Interesting to see if this game is close to sold out.

Two years ago on this date the attendance was 48,000 but it was a Saturday. The closest Tuesday in 2011 the attendance was 42,000.
    41,267 for two of the best pitchers in baseball and Granderson back. And that's paid attendance. Who knows how many people actually went through the turnstiles?

NYYF Legend

was at the stadium, 41,267 was the paid attendance but it looked more like 34,000-37,000 (just a guess) in seats so they're are a bunch of sold tickets that people are eating on the secondary market or people with tickets deciding not to go (colder weather, Mariners aren't a marquee team, Knicks/Rangers in playoffs etc...)
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Still 7,000 more than they had last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    was at the stadium, 41,267 was the paid attendance but it looked more like 34,000-37,000 (just a guess) in seats so they're are a bunch of sold tickets that people are eating on the secondary market or people with tickets deciding not to go (colder weather, Mariners aren't a marquee team, Knicks/Rangers in playoffs etc...)
    I think people need to realize we just lived through the real golden age of Yankees baseball (99-09) and come to grips that the tickets will never gain approach those levels. A crowd of 35,000 on a weeknight in May at any point in yankee history before 1999 would have been unheard of except in the rarest of circumstances. The 98 yankees were not popular at the gate at all. A random date: A 37-13 team on June 1 drew 19,000 to the Bronx. A 103-41 team on Sept 10 of that year packed in 24,000.

I think people need to realize we just lived through the real golden age of Yankees baseball (99-09) and come to grips that the tickets will never gain approach those levels. A crowd of 35,000 on a weeknight in May at any point in yankee history before 1999 would have been unheard of except in the rarest of circumstances. The 98 yankees were not popular at the gate at all. A random date: A 37-13 team on June 1 drew 19,000 to the Bronx. A 103-41 team on Sept 10 of that year packed in 24,000.
    totally agree with this. The run from 99 through 09 was an abberation due to a lot of factors....it won't continue on...demographics, economy, technology are all different now and a return to more normal levels is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    totally agree with this. The run from 99 through 09 was an abberation due to a lot of factors....it won't continue on...demographics, economy, technology are all different now and a return to more normal levels is inevitable.
    I've been traveling on business all week so I didn't get to see any of the TV broadcasts, but it looked like the Mets games were pretty empty on TV and I saw a camera pan on ESPN that showed the section full of Mets fans. Was it really that empty? The 7Line's twitter feed was on fire during the game they went to.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by superyan View Post
    I've been traveling on business all week so I didn't get to see any of the TV broadcasts, but it looked like the Mets games were pretty empty on TV and I saw a camera pan on ESPN that showed the section full of Mets fans. Was it really that empty? The 7Line's twitter feed was on fire during the game they went to.
    I was at the Wedesday game, attendance was 43,681 and it looked like it, though it was clearly less than 2012 subway series game I've been too and yes there were a lot of Mets fans. 7 Line bought out an entire section in the terrace level.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF MVP

By pricing people out of the stadium and/or undercutting their own fans, the Yanks have finally broken the fan base. Its not that important to have season tickets or go to games anymore.

Welcome to the new Yankee apathy.

NYYF Legend

I am sure the walk-up crowd is a lot worse this season also. No Jeter, Tex, Granderson and A Rod has to make people not want to go to the games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Yet, the stadium was built and deals were probably cut with the city based on numbers from 1999 forward. It's a bad deal all the way around.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

NYYF Triple Crown

Seems like its been a few weeks since they have had a weekend day game. I know it's really hot out but I'm a little annoyed its another weekend evening game today.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Seems like its been a few weeks since they have had a weekend day game. I know it's really hot out but I'm a little annoyed its another weekend evening game today.
    It's not later because of the heat it's later because it's a FOX game.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

The 98 yankees were not popular at the gate at all. A random date: A 37-13 team on June 1 drew 19,000 to the Bronx. A 103-41 team on Sept 10 of that year packed in 24,000.
    Excuse me? The 1998 Yankees drew 2,955,193 -- the highest total attendance in Yankees history (to that point). It was an increase of 375,000 fans from 1997 and an increase of 700,000 from 1996.

And their average of 38,527 this year, while down 5,000 a game vs last year, is still the best in the American League.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Selig acknowledges drop in attendance across league:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Thread Information