+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Yankee Attendance (Or Lack Therof) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    This exactly what I do not get. How does management expect to survive without the real fans? Have they forgotten already what has gotten them the success they now enjoy? If the OYS had catered to the wealthy, how many of them would have come to a ballpark that was in need of repair, crowded almost every game and no gourmet menu? Even with the successful run the team had, the attendance would have suffered if the prices made it impossible for the average, loyal fan to go. This year so far the team is doing a lot better than predicted. If they begin to fade, how many of those who can really afford it will continue to go?
    It's sort of like selling receivables for upfront cash. Over the long run, you're better to collect the money but you can monetize it all now.

Their model is kind of like that, except I somehow doubt they realize that they are going to be paying a long term price for it.

I'm lucky to make a really nice living, but with kids and stuff can't justify spending $500 to $1,000 at a baseball game...which is what it takes to buy good seats for a family along with a souvenir and food for the kids. so, basically, they are taking somebody like me largely out of the equation...and my kids go with me. Too bad as my memories of the stadium as kid in large part contributed to my fandom today.

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Metro North killed the parking of the car (sung to the tune of "Video Killed The Radio Star").
    Put the Parking back down to $10-$15 and Metro North isn't the value leader anymore. People want to come and go at THEIR convenience. 4 people parking for $15 instead of the cost of RT trip for those 4 and driving is cheaper again. AND the lots are full and probably making money...
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    It's a great article now if they'd only have a meeting and have someone with balls explain why people are going to YS anymore - they need to list the many reasons which most of, are noted in this thread.
    This would be nice but pointless if the higher ups don't/won't listen.

I work with stubborn/ignorant people like this, unfortunately.

They'd rather watch everything crumble around them than admit they were wrong.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Last year the Yankees were second in MLB in average home attendance and got 3,542,406 fans. This year the Yankees are sixth in MLB in average home attendance and are on pace to get 3,030,538 fans for a decrease of 14.4%.
    That overstates the decrease a bit, because attendance is almost always lower in the early part of the season, so the average attendance thus far is probably lower than it will be over the whole season. Compared to the same period last year, attendance is down 8.1%. Of course, the team was competitive last year, and if the early start doesn't hold, that gap may indeed widen as the season goes on.

Devoted Member

This exactly what I do not get. How does management expect to survive without the real fans?
    Wow, I didn't realize the franchise was in that much trouble financially. After all these years, the New York Yankees are in danger of not surviving?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Wow, I didn't realize the franchise was in that much trouble financially. After all these years, the New York Yankees are in danger of not surviving?
    One thing that is different is they have stadium debt to pay . . .

The profitability ratios for the Yankees suck with just napkin math with publicly available information, even if you were to include more of YES revenues in the calculations. They are profitable in absolute terms but they are only a breath away from losing money.

I think things have sunk to a pathetic new low. Last night the new Yankee Stadium was practically empty for the game. Something has to be done.

Maybe shoot T Shirts into the stands. No. That won't work, the stands are too far away.

I got nothing.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I think things have sunk to a pathetic new low. Last night the new Yankee Stadium was practically empty for the game. Something has to be done.

Maybe shoot T Shirts into the stands. No. That won't work, the stands are too far away.

I got nothing.
    "practically"?... I would hope "totally", since they were in Colorado...
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    "practically"?... I would hope "totally", since they were in Colorado...
    That brings another element to the equation - road games. Some franchises can count on making a killing when the Yankees are in town. You have the hometown fans who want to see them get beat (and also see guys like Mo, Jeter and Sabbathia in person) and there are NY fans all over the country. After this year, you can take Mo off the list. Without being able to put a competitive team on the field, the away game attendance is going to suffer also.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Boys are on Groupon discounts

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-new-york-yankees-2012

$22 to see Chris Nelson and Ben Francisco.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

That brings another element to the equation - road games. Some franchises can count on making a killing when the Yankees are in town. You have the hometown fans who want to see them get beat (and also see guys like Mo, Jeter and Sabbathia in person) and there are NY fans all over the country. After this year, you can take Mo off the list. Without being able to put a competitive team on the field, the away game attendance is going to suffer also.

Bud hurts the Yankees financially and, in turn hurts all of Baseball. Whattacommish!
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

The biggest reason, I think, for the drop in attendance is the drop in season ticket holders.

Wasn't it as recently as two years ago they had over 30,000 in ST equivalents? Which means they couldn't possibly have announced under 30K, since that's how many tickets were already sold for every game.

Now, who knows how far they've fallen from that number, but the 30K is now everyone -- ST holders, individual tickets, and walk-ups.

Should tell you the damage the Yankees have done to their season-ticket base.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    The biggest reason, I think, for the drop in attendance is the drop in season ticket holders.

Wasn't it as recently as two years ago they had over 30,000 in ST equivalents? Which means they couldn't possibly have announced under 30K, since that's how many tickets were already sold for every game.

Now, who knows how far they've fallen from that number, but the 30K is now everyone -- ST holders, individual tickets, and walk-ups.

Should tell you the damage the Yankees have done to their season-ticket base.
    very true. I'd say in 2011 and 2012 there were still partial and full season ticket holders hanging on which inflated the announced attendance.
    "The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    The vast decline in the cost of quality electronics cannot be dismissed as a big factor in all this. Not the entire cause but in my opinion a big contributor indeed.

When you can actually buy a decent quality 40" or larger HDTV and watch the whole season of games for the same price as what it would cost 4 people to go to just one game, park, and each get a beer and a hot dob (sic), you can't blame anyone for seriously re-thinking where they'd rather watch the game from.
    I just upgraded our TV to a 60 inch plasma and it's like looking out a non-pane window. I'll see how the 3D looks if they experiment with that again, but right now seeing a game in person is an overall disadvantage compared to the closeness and picture quality this set produces.
    Let the kids play.

A team's performance in the previous season is a factor that helps to explain the percent increase, or decrease, in attendance the following year.

A test to the attendance will be when the Yanks play the Mets and Red Sox in June. If those games are not sold out, you know either A) prices are too high or B) people are uninterested (which is likely inaccurate cause this team is playing with a lot of heart and winning).

So much for the excuse of lower attendance being everyone is staying home and watching on their big flat screen tv's.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1341409

Eyes migrate from YES Network as Yankees' stars are rehabbing down in Florida

Through 28 games aired on the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network (five games aired on other outlets), the Bombersí TV household rating was down 39% compared to the same 28 game span in 2012.

Two factors:

For the premium seats, New York is a star driven town, plain and simple. The attendance did not zoom up to 50,000 a night after winning three titles in a row, it hit that number after the Yankees decided to bring in mega stars like AROD, Giambi, Matsui and Randy Johnson to go along with Jeter and Clemens. Star power fills the expensive seats in NY and this team has none. We all love Mo, but he is not someone people who are not die hard baseball fans will pay to go see.

The other factor effecting the empty upper deck and bleachers is the internet. In the old days, anyone who wanted to go to a game used the box office, walk ups in the mid thousands for a big game probably were not uncommon. Now people who want to go to a single game, by and large, go to people who already bought the tickets that can't make the game, whether it is Stub Hub or another resell site. That was evident in the ALCS when the upper deck outfield was empty

There are a lot of factors in YS attendance, but what about the ARod factor? Yanks undoubtedly drew a lot more because of Arod from 2004...and more notably 2005 forward.

Now that he's unpopular and been exposed, the uplift they got from him is gone and they go back to what they once were (again due to many other factors too).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post
    So much for the excuse of lower attendance being everyone is staying home and watching on their big flat screen tv's.

Through 28 games aired on the Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network (five games aired on other outlets), the Bombersí TV household rating was down 39% compared to the same 28 game span in 2012.
    that and the fact the Knicks (and Nets) are still alive in the NBA Playoffs
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    that and the fact the Knicks (and Nets) are still alive in the NBA Playoffs
    and no one really likes listening to Michael Kay
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    There are a lot of factors in YS attendance, but what about the ARod factor? Yanks undoubtedly drew a lot more because of Arod from 2004...and more notably 2005 forward.

Now that he's unpopular and been exposed, the uplift they got from him is gone and they go back to what they once were (again due to many other factors too).
    Much as I hate to admit it , as most of us are sick of him, I agree with you. He , for whatever reason, brought in the casual fan. Also, Jeter getting older actually hurt too. He is no longer the matinee idol, who can forget the squeals when he used to be introduced from 98-2002 or so.

Every article that talks about how much the Yankees owe AROD really only tell half the story. They made a ton of money of him too, including a 27th title they do not win without him. Sure, I wish he would go away too , but not acknowledging the impact he had at the box office and team is a tad unfair as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post

I for one find this to be very facinating on many levels including the recent sale of X% of YES.

Thread Information