+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Yankee Attendance (Or Lack Therof) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post
    Management wants to maximize revenue, not attendance. If they can get more money with fewer people in the seats they will do it. This means higher ticket prices in general. They have a formula which tells them what prices to charge to max out revenue and they stick to it.
    Familiar scenario... eg: the parking garages...

Nobody's paying the $25 to park! "Well then, we'll raise it to $30!"

(following year) Nobody's paying the $30 to park!! "Well, we'll raise it to $35!"

(following year) "Sorry, we're defaulting on our loans... can't figure out why nobody wants to park"
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    New York is an event driven town and the Yankees are no longer an event. That's pretty much the way I look at it.
    I agree with this statement, but believe it's truth is confined to things that cost a premium. Yankee games are now events because of the cost of entry and experience. Even in old YS in the final years, you could find value. It's almost non-existent now, so they've priced themselves directly into the exclusive crowd....which is event driven.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
    I knew there would be a problem when I saw a butcher shop inside.

Not a fan of the ballpark. Funny, my buddy and I were just talking about this yesterday and we both agreed it lacked the atmosphere that the old one had. Plus prices are ridiculous. 12.00 for a Blue Moon is crazy.

I bought my tickets off Stub Hub as I could get a seat in the Terrance Level for 25 bucks. Haven't checked to see what the prices are in the Ticket exchange just yet. I doubt they are comparable since the Yankees and Ticketmaster are partners in this.

Mike
    I actually think the problem is that not enough things are like the butcher shop. That's the one area I can think of where it's high quality (Lobels) and somewhat unique. Everything else is run of the mill (they have terrible pizza in NY!!!) and a sell out for sponsorship or partnerships. Every great new park has unique items and areas, and has character. NYS has no character or unique items. It was built to serve as a bank for the Yankees, with no realization that they couldn't recreate the old mystique. By not trying to be like everyone else and create a wonderful destination, they created a boring baseball stadium as opposed to a character driven entertainment destination.

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    I don't think the ticket prices are the problem since most tickets sell on the secondary market for less or about the same as they did in the old stadium. I feel the top 2 reasons why attendance is down are:
    1) fans do not like the new stadium and the lack of atmosphere
    2) the high prices of concessions and the cost of getting to the game
    3) HD big screen TV's, 10 years ago most of us had TV's 35 inches or smaller now most houses have big screen TV's of at least 42 inches. These TV's along with new features of telecasts make watching a game at home better then from the stands.
    Here is another opinion / observation of a Central Jersey fan. I was at Saturday's game. Announced crowd of 40+ is pretty close. Not all in their seats; about 30% of crowd out of seats at any given time; concession / kiosk lines, merchandise stores, bathrooms, up & down stairways /ramps, in the clubs - Audi, Jim Beam, Mohigan, Legends, or just taking a stroll around the inside of the stadium. PLUSES WITH NYS: The bathrooms, and the fact you can walk around the stadium and still see much of the game. Did not want to leave your seat at the OYS because of long lines, ratty bathrooms, and the inability to quickly turn & see what everyone was cheering about if you were walking "the hallways" not near an opening (section 5 upper deck). PUSHES WITH NYS: The seat prices are in line depending on where you are willing to sit. You get what you pay for. In fact, stubhub made buying a good seat rather cheap. The food prices are not much higher than other East Coast venues. You can now feed 5 kids on $20. Use your Mastercard and get a bucket of fries (the good ones, not the soggy Nathan's fries, 5 chicken sliders, & a liter of Pepsi for $20! Beer can stay high, who needs a drunk at the game or driving home? MINUSES: (Not in control of the Yankees) HIGH TRANSPORTATION COSTS! You can ride 295 toll free then cross over into PA. for $5 via Walt Whitman & $15 to park in Citizen Bank Park (and that was when the Phillies were still winning!). To get to NYS you pay $30 in tolls (NJ Turnpike & GWB) and then $35 to park. IMO THAT $45 IS A BIG DIFFERENCE! Now I have to drink 5 less beers. (Gas is a push).

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Familiar scenario... eg: the parking garages...

Nobody's paying the $25 to park! "Well then, we'll raise it to $30!"

(following year) Nobody's paying the $30 to park!! "Well, we'll raise it to $35!"

(following year) "Sorry, we're defaulting on our loans... can't figure out why nobody wants to park"
    Metro North killed the parking of the car (sung to the tune of "Video Killed The Radio Star").

I take the subway on my unlimited Metro Card and live about 10 minutes away on the 4 train, so transportation is not an issue for me. Ticket prices are.

Mike
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/maniabeatle01/teixiera.png[/img]

NYYF Legend

That lounge lizard section in front of the jim beam section is the stupidest thing ever.
    ive seen eight people in in at the three games that I've been to and the staff is bored to tears.

I don't see any of my old crew anymore.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

That's what happens when you put a baseball field inside of a mall.
    "It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long....."

Exactly, Sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bxboy View Post
    Management wants to maximize revenue, not attendance. If they can get more money with fewer people in the seats they will do it. This means higher ticket prices in general. They have a formula which tells them what prices to charge to max out revenue and they stick to it.
    Yes, exactly. Management doesn't care about the atmosphere of the stadium - which completely suffers when real fans (most of whom can't afford tickets in "the moat") don't attend the game. It's disgusting. Never was this "f everyone who isn't filthy rich" attitude so apparent as has been since the new stadium opened.

Until 1998 the Yankees didn't draw 3 million fans a year. I suspect the cycle is on the wane and while the new stadium might have something to do with it that's not the sole reason. Yankees games just aren't the event that they were during the high attendance years and even if they were still playing across the street I believe the attendance numbers would now be less.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Until 1998 the Yankees didn't draw 3 million fans a year. I suspect the cycle is on the wane and while the new stadium might have something to do with it that's not the sole reason. Yankees games just aren't the event that they were during the high attendance years and even if they were still playing across the street I believe the attendance numbers would now be less.
    HDTV, cost and time are the reasons IMO and not just the Yankees, but with all sports. Example: I am a Met Fan living near Bedminster, NJ. For me to go to a Met game it is $2 on the NJTPKE, $13 on the GWB, $7.50 each way on the RFK Bridge. Then $20 to park the car. That's $50 before I even walk through the turnstile. I am not counting gas, food or the overpriced tickets as they are in most sports. You do the math. The exercise of going to a Met game also costs me alot of time with the traffic and the distance where conversely I can see the beads of sweat on the players in my LazyBoy on my HDTV. I will still go to games for the shear fun of it but not as much as in the past. I would argue most people today feel that way. That is why the attendance is down. And $35 to park the damn car at YS is just insane! MetLife for the Jets and Giants is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    HDTV, cost and time are the reasons IMO and not just the Yankees, but with all sports. Example: I am a Met Fan living near Bedminster, NJ. For me to go to a Met game it is $2 on the NJTPKE, $13 on the GWB, $7.50 each way on the RFK Bridge. Then $20 to park the car. That's $50 before I even walk through the turnstile. I am not counting gas, food or the overpriced tickets as they are in most sports. You do the math. The exercise of going to a Met game also costs me alot of time with the traffic and the distance where conversely I can see the beads of sweat on the players in my LazyBoy on my HDTV. I will still go to games for the shear fun of it but not as much as in the past. I would argue most people today feel that way. And $35 to park the damn car at YS is just insane! MetLife for the Jets and Giants is even worse.
    I don't disagree with that at all. HDTV is a big factor.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    ... HD big screen TV's, 10 years ago most of us had TV's 35 inches or smaller now most houses have big screen TV's of at least 42 inches. These TV's along with new features of telecasts make watching a game at home better then from the stands.
    This is the biggest reason I'm not inclined to take the 150 mile trip. If I want a decent couple of seats I'm going to spend about $350 for the day. Considering the quality of the TVs right now, you get the best seat right at home. Many years ago the cost of going to see a game was relatively much less than it is now and the TVs were small and grainy.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This is the biggest reason I'm not inclined to take the 150 mile trip. If I want a decent couple of seats I'm going to spend about $350 for the day. Considering the quality of the TVs right now, you get the best seat right at home. Many years ago the cost of going to see a game was relatively much less than it is now and the TVs were small and grainy.
    The vast decline in the cost of quality electronics cannot be dismissed as a big factor in all this. Not the entire cause but in my opinion a big contributor indeed.

When you can actually buy a decent quality 40" or larger HDTV and watch the whole season of games for the same price as what it would cost 4 people to go to just one game, park, and each get a beer and a hot dob (sic), you can't blame anyone for seriously re-thinking where they'd rather watch the game from.

This was the real-world scenario that I was up against during the 2011-2012 off-season when I decided not to renew. My four seats for 2012 would've been $80.00x4=$320.00 total, $25 to park (at the time), figure $5.00 for one hot dob and $10.00 for one beer each....

.... or for the same money you could watch every game on this...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Philips+...&skuId=3538036

Seems like more and more often, people are making this choice, hear it quite frequently.
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    The vast decline in the cost of quality electronics cannot be dismissed as a big factor in all this. Not the entire cause but in my opinion a big contributor indeed.

When you can actually buy a decent quality 40" or larger HDTV and watch the whole season of games for the same price as what it would cost 4 people to go to just one game, park, and each get a beer and a hot dob (sic), you can't blame anyone for seriously re-thinking where they'd rather watch the game from.

This was the real-world scenario that I was up against during the 2011-2012 off-season when I decided not to renew. My four seats for 2012 would've been $80.00x4=$320.00 total, $25 to park (at the time), figure $5.00 for one hot dob and $10.00 for one beer each....

.... or for the same money you could watch every game on this...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Philips+...&skuId=3538036

Seems like more and more often, people are making this choice, hear it quite frequently.
    So if I have my math right it cost you a total of $32,805 for ST with all the add-ons you mentioned. I can't understand why you gave up your tickets...

NYYF Triple Crown

Last year the Yankees were second in MLB in average home attendance and got 3,542,406 fans. This year the Yankees are sixth in MLB in average home attendance and are on pace to get 3,030,538 fans for a decrease of 14.4%.

There are several things to keep in mind:

1. Every year in April and May everyone talks about lack of attendance but then in June July and August it picks up and then drops off again in September.

2. The stadium is not new anymore and people are fed up with prices of concessions. Even if you have free tickets it's still an expense.

3. Technology. I can now watch on tv, drink a 6 pack of good beer (Heineken, Corona, etc.) for the cost of one Miller Lite draft. Heck I can have a few friends over, order in 4 pizza pies and a case of beer and still have it cheaper than going to a game for myself.

4. The Knicks and Rangers are both in the playoffs.

5. Every team in the tri state area has gotten a new stadium in the past several years.

It's not the ticket prices because nobody buys tickets from the Yankee box office anymore. The tickets on SH been at minor league stadium prices. Fans want the hottest ticket, fans are paying $100s to see the Knicks, Rangers, Nets and even the Islanders these past weeks. I am sure once baseball is the only game in town, the weather will be warmer and the attendance will rise but the Yankees don't have the same product at the stadium anymore. Everyone on here knows...Even at $30 to park, these past few weeks you could get two field level seats to a game for $25 ech and bring your own food in and spend $80 including parking to see a Yankee game at field level or get upper deck seats for $5ech and see them for $40inc parking. I'm enjoying the empty stadium/low prices on SH and empty lots actually. I've been at the new stadium when its packed and these empty April games the noise is not a big difference. The stadium will just fill with fair weather fans on their phones all game in June-August.

Im not a fan of the new stadium, security chasing you around if you cheer, or advertisements to go buy over priced stuff with your Mastercard between every inning.
    All that aside I feel that the yankees own success is contributing to the lack of interest. SF is cold and gloomy but I was watching the games vs LA, not only is the stadium sold out but EVERYONE is hanging on the edge of the seats screaming and going nuts through the game. Thats similar to the environment we had in OYS after years of crappy baseball. Nobody has had a run of playoff appearances like the Yankees have had since 95 so theres not much to compare to but I think for a lot of fans they would rather just spend the time and $$ to see a prime game instead of a game vs the Astro, etc. Even in the playoffs nobody seemed to care, if they make it to the WS then its time to watch, if not then whatever they always get here......Citi field is usually a ghost town but last seasons when they start to play well the fans start to fill in until they go back to playing like the regular Mets. Is it because the fans believe theyre contenders or just because its exciting to see them play well for a change. For us yankees fans playing well has become the norm and lacks the excitement.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The last two weekends have had beautiful weather and small crowds. I was at the Saturday game against Toronto, where the paid attendance was 40K but the actual crowd couldn't have been more than 30K. I've also been at my office - right down the street from the Stadium - the last two Sundays, and the traffic and parking were very light. Again, beautiful weather all those days.

I was specifically speaking about the miserable weather at the start of the season
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Yanks View Post
    Exactly, Sparky.

Yes, exactly. Management doesn't care about the atmosphere of the stadium - which completely suffers when real fans (most of whom can't afford tickets in "the moat") don't attend the game. It's disgusting. Never was this "f everyone who isn't filthy rich" attitude so apparent as has been since the new stadium opened.
    This exactly what I do not get. How does management expect to survive without the real fans? Have they forgotten already what has gotten them the success they now enjoy? If the OYS had catered to the wealthy, how many of them would have come to a ballpark that was in need of repair, crowded almost every game and no gourmet menu? Even with the successful run the team had, the attendance would have suffered if the prices made it impossible for the average, loyal fan to go. This year so far the team is doing a lot better than predicted. If they begin to fade, how many of those who can really afford it will continue to go?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I agree with what everyone is saying here in concerns with the prices. I used to be able to justify spending 50 bucks on a ticket and close to 50.00 for 3 blue moons and a Philly Cheese Steak by telling myself I am paying for the experience and atmosphere of being at Yankee Stadium. Last season, there was no atmosphere.

Plus, a lot of the fans who come to the ball park are real jerks. Last year, I am sitting upstairs and I notice sunflower seeds on my friend. I ask him about it and he tells me he sees the same on me. I look up and see a guy of about 22, 23 spitting them out at us. I walk upstairs and told the kid to knock it off. He played innocent and I told him I saw him do it and if he did it again, I when I came back up I would not be this nice. I mentioned this to a security guard as I went back to my seat. Darn it if the idiot didnt do it again as soon as I sat back down. I got up and 5 guards appeared from out of nowhere and told me they would handle it and escorted the moron and his friend out while our section chanted 'a%#h*&%e at him.

Point is, you can't even enjoy a game without someone acting like a jerk. It's everywhere in the ballpark now. If I am spending top dollar to watch a game, I will be dammed if someone is going to ruin it for me.

Mike
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/maniabeatle01/teixiera.png[/img]

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    So if I have my math right it cost you a total of $32,805 for ST with all the add-ons you mentioned. I can't understand why you gave up your tickets...
    No, I only had the Sunday+ Plan. But for me even that was expensive enough.

NYYF Triple Crown

Looks like the Yankees are realizing that for yet another season, it's 'look out below' with the attendance again.

Release the groupons!!!

In Inevitable Move, New York Yankees Offer Groupons

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/inevita...130700256.html

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

It's a great article now if they'd only have a meeting and have someone with balls explain why people are going to YS anymore - they need to list the many reasons which most of, are noted in this thread.

Thread Information