+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Yankee Attendance (Or Lack Therof) 2013

What are the reasons attendance is down at The Stadium? ST fan base erroded? SH? Attendance is down at most MLB venues. BTW, the Yankees are winning....... Is attendance down because Jeter, A-Rodm Tex and Granderson are out? Fans want to see stars and not a winning product?

NYYF Cy Young

Re: Yankee Attendance (Or Lack Therof) 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    What are the reasons attendance is down at The Stadium? ST fan base erroded? SH? Attendance is down at most MLB venues. BTW, the Yankees are winning....... Is attendance down because Jeter, A-Rodm Tex and Granderson are out? Fans want to see stars and not a winning product?
    I still feel that the run up to the 52K average in 2008 was the last years in OYS, followed by the opening of the new stadium. And now that the novelty has worn off the attendance will go down to what is was in the late 90's when the Yankees fielded some of the best teams ever. Higher prices overall pushes attendance down further but I feel the Stadium transition was the major reason behind the 50K attendance bump.

I also feel this new stadium does not get as 'loud' as the old one. I'm not sure if it is because of the design or where it is positioned, but there could be 50K fans and on TV it sounds like there is no one there. I remember as a kid getting goosebumps from hearing the chant of a large crowd whenever the Yankees do something spectacular, or a player, etc..

I wish we kept the old stadium.

Oh well

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I also feel this new stadium does not get as 'loud' as the old one. I'm not sure if it is because of the design or where it is positioned, but there could be 50K fans and on TV it sounds like there is no one there. I remember as a kid getting goosebumps from hearing the chant of a large crowd whenever the Yankees do something spectacular, or a player, etc..

Oh well
    Less People+smaller, farther away upper deck+open concourses+securitas = the atmosphere of a mausoleum

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

Oh well
    I agree completely.

Addicted Member

I also think that baseball's popularity in general isn't quite what it was a few years ago. I know personally for me, I've really started to grow out of the sport.

For the Yankees in particular, I think it's a combination of a bunch of things, including what's already been stated. If we all remember back to the run from 96-01, there were many nights where the building was under 30-40k. It really wasn't until the team added A-Rod (and to an extend, Sheffield) and turned into a super team that they started consistently drawing over 50k. Plus when you factor in that the old building was going to close, that was a great boost. Even though the team is winning, there is no more super team draw. Currently no Jeter, Al or Tex. Even CC is now more a crafty pitcher than the power pitcher he was not too long ago. Those early-mid 2000's teams kinda spoiled the fans as they became accustomed to all the big names. But I feel like baseball as a sport has lost a lot of the mainstream cache it had. Part of it could be the aftermath of the steroid era, and that's probably true. But maybe more so because you had a generation of kids (myself included at 25) grow up watching larger than life players who are now watching a pitcher dominated era. That's just not as fun. Even the new stars like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout don't seem to get the same national attention that McGwire, Sosa, Bonds and Griffey did in their heyday.

New York's a star driven town with a ton of things to do. If people are going to devote 3+ hours of their time to one thing, they need a reason other than to watch a game. With the Knicks hot, the Brooklyn Nets in the playoffs (until last night), two local hockey teams in the playoffs, baseball is currently on the back burner and really not getting a lot of buzz or publicity, both locally and nationally. Once the Knicks are eliminated, the other sports really wind down and people turn their attention back to baseball, I expect the attendance to increase (unless the team falls out of contention).

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    I also think that baseball's popularity in general isn't quite what it was a few years ago. I know personally for me, I've really started to grow out of the sport.

For the Yankees in particular, I think it's a combination of a bunch of things, including what's already been stated. If we all remember back to the run from 96-01, there were many nights where the building was under 30-40k. It really wasn't until the team added A-Rod (and to an extend, Sheffield) and turned into a super team that they started consistently drawing over 50k. Plus when you factor in that the old building was going to close, that was a great boost. Even though the team is winning, there is no more super team draw. Currently no Jeter, Al or Tex. Even CC is now more a crafty pitcher than the power pitcher he was not too long ago. Those early-mid 2000's teams kinda spoiled the fans as they became accustomed to all the big names. But I feel like baseball as a sport has lost a lot of the mainstream cache it had. Part of it could be the aftermath of the steroid era, and that's probably true. But maybe more so because you had a generation of kids (myself included at 25) grow up watching larger than life players who are now watching a pitcher dominated era. That's just not as fun. Even the new stars like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout don't seem to get the same national attention that McGwire, Sosa, Bonds and Griffey did in their heyday.

New York's a star driven town with a ton of things to do. If people are going to devote 3+ hours of their time to one thing, they need a reason other than to watch a game. With the Knicks hot, the Brooklyn Nets in the playoffs (until last night), two local hockey teams in the playoffs, baseball is currently on the back burner and really not getting a lot of buzz or publicity, both locally and nationally. Once the Knicks are eliminated, the other sports really wind down and people turn their attention back to baseball, I expect the attendance to increase (unless the team falls out of contention).

/rant
    New York is an event driven town and the Yankees are no longer an event. That's pretty much the way I look at it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I hope that it's not because the star mercenaries (and Jeter) are on the DL. If that's what is driving down attendance, Hal will connect the dots & start bringing in that "star power" to please the spoiled fans. Going back to the mega contracts in order to win/make everyone happy will completely wipe out my interest in this team. It's already on life support but I prefer watching this current team as opposed to one with A-Rod, Tex, and Granderson.

Plus, Yankee Stadium isn't a place where a fan can enjoy a ballgame anymore. I'd only go if I got tickets really cheap & I had nothing better to do.

NYYF Legend

Attendance is down at most ballparks and I think weather is the key factor. Across the country there has been terrible weather. April snow has already disrupted games in Minnesota/Colorado. As for the Yankees attendance being down its a combo of things:

1. The number one reason: losing SH agreement. For whatever reason, people like buying tickets on SH. I dont think its the ease of use cause Yankee Ticket Exchange is just as easy to use as SH.
    2. Kids still in school
    3. Weather
    4. In the offseason everyone thought we'd be a last place team with no offseason moves and all the injuries.

Just like last season, attendance will pick up as the summer draws closer, but the stadium does look emptier this April compared to last April

as for the stadium not being as noisy as the old one I think its just the shape of the stadium. When I was there in 2009 in a sold out ALCS game 6 everyone was cheering towards the 9th inning and it still didnt sound like the old stadium, despite it being a soldout. Remember in the old stadium the upper deck hung lower.
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Watching this team is sometimes like watching paint dry. I know that injuries are a factor but there seems to be something lacking. Also, how many middle class families of four can afford to go to the Stadium? Prices are rediculous, from parking to hotdogs!

NYYF Legend

Upside when you are there; no lines at concessions and easier to leave.
    tougher to get someone to come along 'Hey Overbay jerseys are in the team store now and they just got Chris Nelson from the Rockies."

I bought the media guide and practically none of the team is in it.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Devoted Member

Let's not forget about the ridiculous prices of everything inside the Stadium.

Forum Regular

I don't think the ticket prices are the problem since most tickets sell on the secondary market for less or about the same as they did in the old stadium. I feel the top 2 reasons why attendance is down are:
    1) fans do not like the new stadium and the lack of atmosphere
    2) the high prices of concessions and the cost of getting to the game
    3) HD big screen TV's, 10 years ago most of us had TV's 35 inches or smaller now most houses have big screen TV's of at least 42 inches. These TV's along with new features of telecasts make watching a game at home better then from the stands.

I think there are a lot of reasons for the attendance issues...most of them already noted in here.

But there's one other aspect to it, I think. It used to be that we would go to games, in part, to connect. To connect with other fans and connect to the game in a way that we couldn't on tv.

As recently as 2003, I was there for the Boone game against the Red sox. it's unreal to me to think that I didn't really communicate with anybody besides the three buddies I went with and then with the mass of humanity around me as everybody high fived and hugged and all that.

Fast forward to last fall, and I was watching Ibanez's heroics at home, alone, and yet when he hit his third home run, I remember Facebook exploding, my text messages going crazy and twitter lighting up. In 2003, sure we could have emailed or called each other...but it wasn't the same.

Today, the communal experience of going to a game has been virtualized. I can now virtually watch it with my college roommate who now lives in CA, my high school buddy in New Jersey and the other dozens of yankee fan friends/acquaintances/coworkers I have....and get real time thoughts/reactions from literally millions of strangers if I want.

Not to say this is the main reason...it's not...but it's a contributing factor I think.

NYYF Legend

I think the main reason so far is the number of Yankees on the disabled list. Even know the Yankees W/L record might be the same right now if Jeter, A Rod, Granderson etc were playing people who only attend a few games a year want to see those players. Not Wells, Hafner and Overbay. The seats below the Grandstand level are expensive and the people who buy those seats want to see Jeter and company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I hope that it's not because the star mercenaries (and Jeter) are on the DL. If that's what is driving down attendance, Hal will connect the dots & start bringing in that "star power" to please the spoiled fans. Going back to the mega contracts in order to win/make everyone happy will completely wipe out my interest in this team. It's already on life support but I prefer watching this current team as opposed to one with A-Rod, Tex, and Granderson.

Plus, Yankee Stadium isn't a place where a fan can enjoy a ballgame anymore. I'd only go if I got tickets really cheap & I had nothing better to do.
    Out of curiosity....why has your interest in the team basically dissapeared? I know you've been around this board for many years so I'm surprised to read that.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    1) fans do not like the new stadium and the lack of atmosphere
    This is the main reason in my mind. The Yankees destroyed the Cathedral of Baseball and in doing so killed the atmosphere and awesome sense of history that you had when you went to see a game at OYS. Now we have a McStadium like every other stadium, so why go to a game when you can just watch the game on your big screen tv. The unique experience is gone.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tino's Girl View Post
    This is the main reason in my mind. The Yankees destroyed the Cathedral of Baseball and in doing so killed the atmosphere and awesome sense of history that you had when you went to see a game at OYS. Now we have a McStadium like every other stadium, so why go to a game when you can just watch the game on your big screen tv. The unique experience is gone.
    The Cathedral of Baseball was destroyed back in 70s.

Lack of offensive superstars, virtual connection replacing real connection, widespread HD TVs may all be factors but 95% of the problem is:

1) People are PRICED OUT and dissatisfied with that. I mean not only the actual price of the ticket but also the overpriced concessions. I know every stadium has overpriced food and drinks, but at YS it's just beyond ridiculous. Even more comical was the hype surrounding the "real food" served at the stadium... maybe no one cares about it anymore, but when the stadium opened, does anyone else remember how the food was hyped beyond belief? My friend and I paid like $55 for some cold fries, a cold pizza, and some drinks with virtually no alcohol in them. Anyway, the problem obviously doesn't boil down to cold food, but it's emblematic of the larger problem of the team overcharging for a mediocre ballpark experience. Which leads into #2...

2) The atmosphere of the stadium resembles, as someone said, a mausoleum. This factors into #1, as people might be more willing to part with more of their money for a good experience. I know that I certainly would be willing to pay more for a seat and whatever else if I actually liked the experience of the new stadium. Take a look at the thread about season renewals and notice how many people abandoned their plans. Not that Steinbrenner & Co. actually care as long as they keep filling "the moat" and the luxury boxes.

The Yanks have had a superstar, overpriced, money-grubbing ethos for a long time (sans maybe the mid-to-late 90s), but it never hit you so directly over the head until the atrocious new stadium was built. The fact that everything about the game experience is commercialized to within an inch of its life really exemplifies this point and contributes to the unpleasant gameday experience. I understand that sponsorships etc. are a fact of life but there is a tasteful way to incorporate them...

NYYF Legend

Weather always plays a part

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Weather always plays a part

Andy
    The last two weekends have had beautiful weather and small crowds. I was at the Saturday game against Toronto, where the paid attendance was 40K but the actual crowd couldn't have been more than 30K. I've also been at my office - right down the street from the Stadium - the last two Sundays, and the traffic and parking were very light. Again, beautiful weather all those days.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The last two weekends have had beautiful weather and small crowds. I was at the Saturday game against Toronto, where the paid attendance was 40K but the actual crowd couldn't have been more than 30K. I've also been at my office - right down the street from the Stadium - the last two Sundays, and the traffic and parking were very light. Again, beautiful weather all those days.
    Is the fact that, the Knicks, Rangers and Isles are in the playoffs also a factor?

Also, the end of May should bring in some families with school ending and all.

I haven't been to the new stadium but it definitely seems to generate less noise than the Old stadium did.

Does the Superbowl also have an impact with many fans saving up for the Big Game?
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Yanks View Post
    Lack of offensive superstars, virtual connection replacing real connection, widespread HD TVs may all be factors but 95% of the problem is:

1) People are PRICED OUT and dissatisfied with that. ...

2) The atmosphere of the stadium resembles, as someone said, a mausoleum...

The Yanks have had a superstar, overpriced, money-grubbing ethos for a long time (sans maybe the mid-to-late 90s), but it never hit you so directly over the head until the atrocious new stadium was built. The fact that everything about the game experience is commercialized to within an inch of its life really exemplifies this point and contributes to the unpleasant gameday experience. I understand that sponsorships etc. are a fact of life but there is a tasteful way to incorporate them...
    So now I am thinking that the closing of the OYS and opening of the NYS accounted for about a 10K one-time bump which is now over (so 50k - 10K = 40K) and the bad experience and high prices accounts at NYS accounts for another 10K (40k - 10K = 30K we are seeing).

Management wants to maximize revenue, not attendance. If they can get more money with fewer people in the seats they will do it. This means higher ticket prices in general. They have a formula which tells them what prices to charge to max out revenue and they stick to it.

I knew there would be a problem when I saw a butcher shop inside.

Not a fan of the ballpark. Funny, my buddy and I were just talking about this yesterday and we both agreed it lacked the atmosphere that the old one had. Plus prices are ridiculous. 12.00 for a Blue Moon is crazy.

I bought my tickets off Stub Hub as I could get a seat in the Terrance Level for 25 bucks. Haven't checked to see what the prices are in the Ticket exchange just yet. I doubt they are comparable since the Yankees and Ticketmaster are partners in this.

Mike
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/maniabeatle01/teixiera.png[/img]

Thread Information