+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

2013 Preston Claiborne Performance Thread

He got promoted to MLB. http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=502011 has his minor league statistics.

According to baseball-reference, there have been two players named Claiborne before but neither used that name. Claiborne Henry Bryant, who played from 1935 to 1940, called himself Clay. Active pitcher Daniel Hudson, who is injured, has the middle name Claiborne.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 Preston Claiborne Performance Thread

How many "Prestons" have there been, EvanJ? ???

I actually checked that. There have been quite a few. I'm on my phone and don't have the list in front of me, but Preston Wilson and Preston Gomez come to mind.

Edit: Preston Hanna was another name I knew. Looking back at the list, most of them didn't go by the name Preston: Elburt Preston "Elbie" Fletcher, Colby Preston Lewis, Claude Preston "Lefty" Williams, Rudolph Preston "Rudy" York.
    Last edited by JL25and3; 05-04-13 at 03:16 PM.

NYYF Legend

Gomez was on the Adams Family.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Gomez was on the Adams Family.
    He was the first manager of the San Diego Padres, and later managed the Astros and Cubs. In seven seasons (including partial seasons), six of his teams finished in last place.

He would have done much better to stay home with Morticia, Pugsley and Wednesday.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

9 Yankees have worn Curve by Liz Claiborne. True story.

NYYF Legend

enjoy your conversations in the pen, kid... because you'll never see the light of day on the mound
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    9 Yankees have worn Curve by Liz Claiborne. True story.
    Is Liz's as good as Preston's curve?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Is Liz's as good as Preston's curve?
    Good one!

NYYF Triple Crown

He pitched two perfect innings.

Looks like he has good stuff, good movement on the fastball, decent off-speed pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He pitched two perfect innings.
    He appears to be the first "Preston" to accomplish that since Preston Hanna, pitching for the Braves, did it against the Cardinals on August 22, 1980.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Great debut. Hopefully he stays and Kelly goes when Joba comes back.

NYYF Legend

Was at the game and had no idea who he was when he came in the game. Of course I ave no idea who anyone is other than Cano and Gardner.

he pitched really well.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Got the job done again last night, great to see him actually get used.

NYYF Legend

He did everything to earn his stay. He is going to have a future with the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

I would have thought his thread might have had a bump tonight ... I'm just watching that seventh inning on Yankees Encore. He came in as the fourth pitcher in the inning, with two on, two runs already in, and no outs ... and retired the side without giving up another run. Then he pitched a scoreless eighth.

NYYF Legend

Considering how effective Preston has been he should have been the first pitcher after Nuno was taken out. Using him with the Yankees down 3-1 for two innings seemed like a bad move at the time to me since it means he won't be used on Sunday. It turned out okay since the Yankees came back to win but if Preston had been brought in first maybe the Yankees never fall behind 3-1.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Considering how effective Preston has been he should have been the first pitcher after Nuno was taken out. Using him with the Yankees down 3-1 for two innings seemed like a bad move at the time to me since it means he won't be used on Sunday. It turned out okay since the Yankees came back to win but if Preston had been brought in first maybe the Yankees never fall behind 3-1.
    That's a lot of hindsight and not really fair to Girardi.

Nuno was pitching great and he was left in to face the lefty leading off. Right move, didn't work out. Then Kelly came in and this kid has been fantastic, with a video game K rate. Certainly a reasonable move that would be hard to question in real time. That didn't work out either.

I could see questioning the obsession with going to Logan and burning Kelly so quickly, but going to Kelly over Claiborne wasn't really that big of a deal.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He did everything to earn his stay. He is going to have a future with the Yankees.
    I know I don't follow the minors very closely, but it's amazing to me how often the guys with all the buzz (like the killer B's or even our pal Montero) don't pan out and unheralded guys (Phelps, Nuno, Claiborne, Kelly, etc.) are able to make a real contribution. Even Cano wasn't really hyped and look what he's become.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I know I don't follow the minors very closely, but it's amazing to me how often the guys with all the buzz (like the killer B's or even our pal Montero) don't pan out and unheralded guys (Phelps, Nuno, Claiborne, Kelly, etc.) are able to make a real contribution. Even Cano wasn't really hyped and look what he's become.
    I'll grant you the point in general, but Kelley isn't a kid up from the minors. He's 29, and they picked him up from the Mariners before this season. He'd been pitching there since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I'll grant you the point in general, but Kelley isn't a kid up from the minors. He's 29, and they picked him up from the Mariners before this season. He'd been pitching there since 2009.
    OK, thanks for the clarification.

I do follow the farm system closely, probably more so then I follow the big league club over the past few years. This is just speculation on my part from what I've noticed, but it seems like the Yankees overthink on how to manage their higher end pitching prospects to the point where it's bad for their long-term development like with Joba & Hughes. It's almost like they don't expect much out of the lesser touted guys so instead of tinkering with them excessively, the Yankees just let them pitch. Since they just get allowed to pitch, they get to hone their craft & improve where they need to so they are more ML ready when called upon.

Again, just my two cents & nothing I'm stating as fact.

My memory is that Cano was hyped to some extent, certainly nothing like Montero but I definitely knew who he was before he got here, and I'm kind of like you in that I only keep a toe in the water with the minors. Torre was comparing him to Rod Carew pretty much his first week in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I do follow the farm system closely, probably more so then I follow the big league club over the past few years. This is just speculation on my part from what I've noticed, but it seems like the Yankees overthink on how to manage their higher end pitching prospects to the point where it's bad for their long-term development like with Joba & Hughes. It's almost like they don't expect much out of the lesser touted guys so instead of tinkering with them excessively, the Yankees just let them pitch. Since they just get allowed to pitch, they get to hone their craft & improve where they need to so they are more ML ready when called upon.

Again, just my two cents & nothing I'm stating as fact.
    Interesting. will never forget how they made Hughes change his delivery for a while. That killer curve he had in 2007 hasn't been seen since. don't know if the delivery change caused it or all the injuries but I sure do miss it.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Interesting. will never forget how they made Hughes change his delivery for a while. That killer curve he had in 2007 hasn't been seen since. don't know if the delivery change caused it or all the injuries but I sure do miss it.
    I felt at the time, and still do, that they should have sent Hughes back down for further development. Clearly they were tinkering with him, while at the same time working with the theory that he had nothing left to prove in the minors. I dunno. Just seems like if they were tinkering so much with a young pitcher, the place to do it would be in Scranton, not the big leagues.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information