+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

discussing the hypothetical healthy lineup

If everyone is healthy at once, the line-up will be respectable or better.

I think the last 2 fragile seasons of what we've seen from A-Rod is all we're gona get for the remainder of his contract, even after his hip injury heals............(.270 avg .350 obp 15-20 hrs) he should be hitting in the 2 spot. this will also help him get better pitches to hit, being in front of Cano.

SS Jeter (R)
    DH A-Rod (R)
    2B Cano (L)
    1B Teixeira (S)
    CF Granderson (L)
    3B Youkilis (R)
    RF Wells/Ichiro (R/L)
    LF Gardner (L)
    C Cervelli (R)

and if A-Rod can't play, we'll have Hafner mashing as DH.

this healthy line-up & our solid starting rotation makes us playoff contenders!
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Re: discussing the hypothetical healthy lineup

The key word being hypothetical.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    The key word being hypothetical.
    Yep, not likely we'll ever see it. Also assuming everyone is healthy I think you'd see a lot of full days off for Jeter, ARod, Youkilis and Tex given their injury concerns and Hafner's availability to DH against righties. Ichiro, Gardner, Wells, and Granderson would also likely rotate days off with whomever is hitting the worst taking the most time off.

In short the Yankees only true everyday player would be Cano.

Ugh. Granderson in CF.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Ugh. Granderson in CF.
    It wouldn't be fair to make him learn a new position mid-season.
    -Joe Girardi
    Complaining is a choice

id prefer Gardner in CF but i know they wont do it this season
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

granderson in cf might make a material difference, because of how bad he could be coming off of the dl out there.

learning the position is what rehab is for i thought lol.
    always reasonable

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Young Steinbrenner View Post
    id prefer Gardner in CF but i know they wont do it this season
    Ditto.

A-Rod has generally been more productive than your projected cleanup hitter, in spite of the injuries. If health, I'd prefer Youkilis protect Cano.

Of course, without knowing what you'll get out of Youk/Tex/Granderson/Wells/Hafner, it makes sense to ride the hot hand.

It's amazing how A-Rod gets sht for his "diminished" abilities and Longoria gets hella praised. When, I think from 2010-2012 they played in the same number of games and I think had identical wRC+
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    It's amazing how A-Rod gets sht for his "diminished" abilities and Longoria gets hella praised. When, I think from 2010-2012 they played in the same number of games and I think had identical wRC+
    What? A-Rod played in 358 games in that span, and his wRC+ was 125, 125, and 114. Longoria played in 421 games and his wRC+ was 139, 136, and 146. A-Rod accrued 9.6 WAR and Longoria 16.3 over that time period.

But Tex had wRC+ of 128, 125, and 116 over those three years and 9.9 WAR, almost identical to A-Rod.

Maybe you should give Tex less credit and Longoria much more.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    What? A-Rod played in 358 games in that span, and his wRC+ was 125, 125, and 114. Longoria played in 421 games and his wRC+ was 139, 136, and 146. A-Rod accrued 9.6 WAR and Longoria 16.3 over that time period.

But Tex had wRC+ of 128, 125, and 116 over those three years and 9.9 WAR, almost identical to A-Rod.

Maybe you should give Tex less credit and Longoria much more.
    Must have my years confused. Maybe it was 09-11. I can't remember.

Longoria is a much better player than Arod and has been for a couple of years. It's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Longoria is a much better player than Arod and has been for a couple of years. It's not even close.
    Really? I doubt that. A-Rod hasn't been the A-Rod of old, but he's been plenty good.

Really? I doubt that. A-Rod hasn't been the A-Rod of old, but he's been plenty good.
    From opening day of 2010 until right now, compare the two:

ARod: 358 games, 64 home runs, 67 doubles, .351 obp, 118 OPS+
    Longoria: 385 games, 76 home runs, 90 doubles, .365 obp, 143 OPS+

Arod hasn't done one thing as well as Longoria over 3+ seasons now, and if we shorten this to 2+ seasons, it's even more pronounced.

NYYF Legend

As the stats show, Longoria has been better by a fair amount.

But you are correct, it's not like A-rod is replacement level and he'd be a huge upgrade over Jason Nix ABs at 3B.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

arod and tex are still productive but let's be serious. longoria is mvp level with his offense and defense
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    arod and tex are still productive but let's be serious. longoria is mvp level with his offense and defense
    Since Longoria isn't under a Yankee contract I'm going to go with the premise that

A-Rod >>> Nix
    Tiexiera >>> Overbay
    Granderson >>> Boesh/Francisco

Now granted when everyone is hypotetically healthy there are some interesting choices with the A-rod/Youk/Tiexiera/Hafer 4 guys for 3 spots.

As well as the Granderson/Wells/Gardner/Ichio 4 guys for 3 spots.

And the question of how many day in a row Jeter can play on his ankle once it finally heals.

But frankly those are questions I'd like the Yankees to have this year.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    As the stats show, Longoria has been better by a fair amount.

But you are correct, it's not like A-rod is replacement level and he'd be a huge upgrade over Jason Nix ABs at 3B.
    Honestly, I don't even know what to expect with Arod at this point. He looked close to shot in September and through the playoffs last year. And now he's had another hip surgery, which doctors say is extremely difficult to come back from given he's had two of them now...one on each hip.

On top of all of this, if he is scared off from doing PED's any longer, it's hard to fathom he can come back from this kind of injury and then play clean.

the optomistic view is that the surgery corrects his hip problems and he comes back and hits 15 home runs a year with a reasonable .330-ish type of obp. that would clearly be better than Jason Nix. Kind of doubt that he'll ever be at that level again.

of the guys playing above their late career expected heads, i'd rank overbay as the biggest standout. so tex has a low target to beat. hafner is a beast

i do hope arod can find some new fountain of youth magic though. whatever happened to that german doctor.

edit: apparently overbay is sucking so nvm. he's not even playing above his head.
    always reasonable

of the guys playing above their late career expected heads, i'd rank overbay as the biggest standout. so tex has a low target to beat. hafner is a beast

i do hope arod can find some new fountain of youth magic though. whatever happened to that german doctor.

edit: apparently overbay is sucking so nvm. he's not even playing above his head.
    Overbay is not good....though he has managed to hit 4 home runs at least in April...on pace for something like 24 home runs ,which is about what I'd expect out of Tex for a season at this stage of his career.

Where Overbay really is not good at baseball this year is obp, which has been at .267. Even Tex can do better than that by a considerable amount.

if tex ditches switch hitting he'll be much better
    always reasonable

Gardner-CF
    Jeter-SS
    Cano-2B
    Tex-1B
    Hafner-DH (against RHP), Youk-DH against LHP
    Arod-3B/DH
    Granderson-LF
    Ichiro/Wells-RF
    Cervelli-C

Lets just say Girardi will have serious mixing and matching to do. But that's assuming everyone is actually healthy at the same time. I would love to see that lineup though

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

if tex ditches switch hitting he'll be much better
    I enjoy reading your factpinions.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I enjoy reading your factpinions.
    yea they pretty good
    always reasonable

Thread Information