+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Bryce Harper is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    In the first inning, the Nats color guy, F.P., commented that Harper was so strong that he can check his swing and not have an injury, which is very difficult to do. When he checked his swing the next time and bent over double, I could have smacked F.P. for saying that.....and I like him. They replayed him crashing into the wall Tuesday trying to rob Tim Hudson of a HR and Harper is fortunate he didn't do more damage. Maybe now he will think twice about it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    him having a serious injury would be pretty bad. he'll learn his own mortality and not be so reckless with risk
    Having a serious injury would be bad, but the rest would be good. I wouldn't want him to become Pete Reiser.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    In the first inning, the Nats color guy, F.P., commented that Harper was so strong that he can check his swing and not have an injury, which is very difficult to do. When he checked his swing the next time and bent over double, I could have smacked F.P. for saying that.....and I like him. They replayed him crashing into the wall Tuesday trying to rob Tim Hudson of a HR and Harper is fortunate he didn't do more damage. Maybe now he will think twice about it.
    Doubtful. Jim Edmonds never learned. Harper is a full speed kinda guy.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Doubtful. Jim Edmonds never learned. Harper is a full speed kinda guy.
    Just wishful thinking. He wouldn't be the same ballplayer if he worried about stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Just wishful thinking. He wouldn't be the same ballplayer if he worried about stuff like that.
    That's kind of how I feel. He just wouldn't be the same player.

The Cards didn't step up to keep their guy and he got blown away with another offer. Could the Yankees do that? Sure. Will the Nats act the same way? I don't see it. I believe he will get a nice extension and like you say, if he was going to be available it will not be in the prime years.
    I've heard from a die-hard Cardinals fan friend of mine that the general sentiment of Cardinals fans is that they're glad they didn't throw an outrageous contract at Pujols. Instead, they have that money available to fill holes, etc. while the Angels pay prime year money for declining year production (only 8+ more years to go).

My point is that it is likely that the only way the Yankees get Harper would be if Washington decides not to vastly overpay for his decline years while the Yankees do.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan Tavarez View Post
    A-Rod had his last great season the year before his new contract/opt out.
    One of the greatest offensive seasons ever put together by a Yankee ( especially given that hes a RH hitter ) ... ever.

.314 54/156 ... 2007 A-Rod was like a video game.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I've heard from a die-hard Cardinals fan friend of mine that the general sentiment of Cardinals fans is that they're glad they didn't throw an outrageous contract at Pujols. Instead, they have that money available to fill holes, etc. while the Angels pay prime year money for declining year production (only 8+ more years to go).

My point is that it is likely that the only way the Yankees get Harper would be if Washington decides not to vastly overpay for his decline years while the Yankees do.
    Won't Harper be a free agent in 2018 when he will turn 26 years old that October? Even a 10 yr deal will only take him thru age 35. Can't imagine the Nats not ponying up thru age 35.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Won't Harper be a free agent in 2018 when he will turn 26 years old that October? Even a 10 yr deal will only take him thru age 35. Can't imagine the Nats not ponying up thru age 35.
    That's exactly why I don't think they'll let him come close to FA -- he'd theoretically be just entering his prime years. If he stays healthy, I think Washington has to throw some crazy money at him in the next year or two.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

The Cards didn't step up to keep their guy and he got blown away with another offer. Could the Yankees do that? Sure. Will the Nats act the same way? I don't see it. I believe he will get a nice extension and like you say, if he was going to be available it will not be in the prime years.

I do also believe that the trend is slowly going in the opposite direction. If all owners continue to lock up their studs less guys will walk away when it matters. All these guys are coming up early and producing. Who knows it may actually lead to true team/city pride going forward. Spending your career on one team is becoming something people admire more and more. Of course I am not naive, I know money is the biggest motivator. But things are being done more reasonably more often now. I know we've seen Hamilton and Pujols jump ship and do what they did, which is fine. But for every guy that does that there is another who gets locked up. Like Verlander. I like it. Big players repping their teams for most of their careers makes those players a lot more fun to watch in my opinion. I look at Verlander and I see a Tiger. Not just one of the best pitchers in baseball. The same way I see Jeter as a Yankee. Not just Derek Jeter.
    Couldn't agree more....a lot of fans associate their lives with their beloved sports teams and invest a lot of their time, monies and emotions into them. I have no problem with players defecting for more money....But its great to see a player spend their entire career with one organization.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    It never was difficult. Fans get too caught up in this 'immature' nonsense. Who cares what haircut he spots (Not saying you said that but it has been mentioned before).

I hope he constantly speaks his mind and remains himself. He's a great player and I could really care less about all this other trivial nonsense.
    Well, it was more than just running his mouth and getting stupid haircuts (which doesn't really bother me at all, personally). But when your immaturity leads you to go bash a bat in the tunnel between innings, and the bat bounces back and hits you in the face and you have to go out to field with blood running down your face, well, that's more than just immature nonsense. Or getting tossed from a game cause you slammed your helmet after grounding out, that's more than just immature nonsense. Those things can hurt your team by pulling you out of the lineup. Run your mouth all you want, I find it amusing. But don't let your anger pull you out of the game, cause thats just stupid and immature.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey at the Bat View Post
    Well, it was more than just running his mouth and getting stupid haircuts (which doesn't really bother me at all, personally). But when your immaturity leads you to go bash a bat in the tunnel between innings, and the bat bounces back and hits you in the face and you have to go out to field with blood running down your face, well, that's more than just immature nonsense. Or getting tossed from a game cause you slammed your helmet after grounding out, that's more than just immature nonsense. Those things can hurt your team by pulling you out of the lineup. Run your mouth all you want, I find it amusing. But don't let your anger pull you out of the game, cause thats just stupid and immature.
    You have to let him have that fire wherever he needs o have it so he always has it. We all loved Paul O'Neill when he threw the water coolers and had those temper tantrums when he struck or or grounded out. He wasn't discrete he would be screaming at himself all the way to the dugout after an at bat. I agree that having a bat bouncing back at your face is not the smartest idea but this is his personality and it works for him. As long as he's not bullying his opposition or his teammates then let him be him. He has a fire we all respect. People look at Cano and think he's lazy and doesn't care. People want him to show his passion. Why take it from that player who does just that?

You have to let him have that fire wherever he needs o have it so he always has it. We all loved Paul O'Neill when he threw the water coolers and had those temper tantrums when he struck or or grounded out. He wasn't discrete he would be screaming at himself all the way to the dugout after an at bat. I agree that having a bat bouncing back at your face is not the smartest idea but this is his personality and it works for him. As long as he's not bullying his opposition or his teammates then let him be him. He has a fire we all respect. People look at Cano and think he's lazy and doesn't care. People want him to show his passion. Why take it from that player who does just that?
    Fire isn't the problem. Losing fights to baseball bats is.

On the flip side, the two Yankees people always talk about are Jeter and Rivera, because no matter what happens, they always keep their cool. The mantra I hear here is "Act like you've been there before."

Fire isn't the problem. Losing fights to baseball bats is.

On the flip side, the two Yankees people always talk about are Jeter and Rivera, because no matter what happens, they always keep their cool. The mantra I hear here is "Act like you've been there before."
    I agree. But that is also their personality. Harper is a different animal.

We all loved Paul O'Neill when he threw the water coolers and had those temper tantrums when he struck or or grounded out.
    Not all of us.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Harper just ran into a wall at Dodgers Stadium with the Nats up 6.....this dude is insane with his effort!!! He's cut himself as well but can't tell where....his fingers seemed bloody and the pic on the MLB site shows he has some blood on his neck as well....can't tell clearly though.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

NYYF Cy Young

Apparently there is wire covering the scoreboard he run into, and that's what cut him up pretty good. He ran straight into that wall full force, ouch. He seriously needs to take it down a notch out there or he's gonna end up with more DL time than playing time. Gotta love the hustle, but damn.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Apparently there is wire covering the scoreboard he run into, and that's what cut him up pretty good. He ran straight into that wall full force, ouch. He seriously needs to take it down a notch out there or he's gonna end up with more DL time than playing time. Gotta love the hustle, but damn.
    It was the lighted part of the fence according to the Washington Post. He took 11 stitches to close the wound. I agree; he goes all out but he's going to seriously hurt himself if he doesn't exercise some caution.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...7_story_1.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    It was the lighted part of the fence according to the Washington Post. He took 11 stitches to close the wound. I agree; he goes all out but he's going to seriously hurt himself if he doesn't exercise some caution.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...7_story_1.html
    The cut looks like he took a blade to the neck from a skate in the NHL. If it was deeper, I hate to think about what might have happened, considering the location. He's on pace to have an unreal season and a spectabular career. I know this is just the way he plays the game and you have to love it, but he's got to learn that he is not invinceable out there.

I admire it.

NYYF Cy Young

It's easy to second guess that play given the scenario, but I think in the future he'll learn that there is a difference between 1000% effort and trying to make plays that you just can't make.

For example, in a playoff game, I'd rather he try to make a play off the wall than potentially miss a catch and kill himself. Which I think is more about playing smarter baseball than not giving 110%.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

I admire it.
    It may be admirable, but it could also end up seriously compromising or cutting short his career (cf. Reiser, Pete).
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It may be admirable, but it could also end up seriously compromising or cutting short his career (cf. Reiser, Pete).
    He turned a double into a triple on a 6-0 game, hurting himself in the process. Not sure I see how that is admirable.

He turned a double into a triple on a 6-0 game, hurting himself in the process. Not sure I see how that is admirable.
    If he made the play you would. That line you cross where it's all or nothing is when you see the who the player is. In order for you to see "one of the greatest plays I ever saw" a player is usually putting himself at risk. Jeter headbutted a few seats in the stands, but he made the play and that is admirable. Why is Harper's not?

I think posting the obvious that he will injure himself is unnecessary. I have already acknowledged that. But this is the player he is. And I admire it.

If he made the play you would. That line you cross where it's all or nothing is when you see the guts of a player. In order for you to see "one of the greatest plays I ever saw" a player is usually putting himself at risk. Jeter headbutted a few seats in the stands, but he made the play and that is admirable. Why is Harper's not?

I think posting the obvious that he will injure himself is unnecessary. I have already acknowledged that. But this is the player he is. And I admire it.
    Jeters catch was in a close game during the playoffs, and the catch was a huge part of that game. This was a 6-0 game in May against a last-place team. If the game was close, I could see it, even in a May game. But the score was 6-0. Im not sure that is worth 10 stitches. And truthfully, it looks more like he just misplayed the ball than attempted to make a great catch. It looks like the wall surprised him because he never bothered to check himself until it was too late.

Thread Information