Currently leads the majors in wOBA, wRC+, and SLG%

..and turns 21 in October

Re: Bryce Harper is really good.

the man. plain and simple.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

He played his 162nd game Yesterday and his career stats are MVP caliber.

future yankee

modern mickey mantle
    always reasonable

He has literally carried my fantasy team.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

to think that he was a catcher not too long ago
    like delv, but better

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

I hope the future Yankee part is true.....With current trends it seems highly unlikley that Washington would allow that.

Having said that, hopefully the free agent market opens up by then instead of teams depending on trading away big contracts.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

I was at the game on Saturday, when he absolutely crushed a homer off Mike Leake.

I honestly feel like I have never seen a more impressive baseball player in person than him.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

I'm glad I can watch him play every game. He has made adjustments from last year that usually take players that age a lot longer to impliment. He not only recognizes what's been done in the past, he knows how to correct it. They were getting him out on off speed stuff a whole lot more last season. Pettitte really made him look lost during that series in DC. Now he's making pitchers pay.

The only area I see where he's weak, is judegment from the OF on whether to hit the cut-off man or let it rip. He's got a cannon, but it gets in the way sometimes.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    The only area I see where he's weak, is judegment from the OF on whether to hit the cut-off man or let it rip. He's got a cannon, but it gets in the way sometimes.
    If that's his only weakness, I'll take that every time. A friend of mine told me about Harper when he (Harper) was in high school. He has so far lived up to the hype.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    I honestly feel like I have never seen a more impressive baseball player in person than him.
    Ditto. I live in the DC area and have been lucky enough to see him play a half-dozen times, and the only one who I've seen dominate as completely as Harper is Mariano (completely different sphere of the game, but same certainty about greatness).

The rate at which he adjusts/adapts is also just incredible. The guy barely played college ball, then barely played in the minors, and yet managed to adjust to ML pitching with remarkably few hiccups. Anybody should have growing pains at 19. He's managed to avoid them almost entirely.

I said last year that Harper was and would be better than Trout, and people scoffed. I might still be wrong, but for now I feel vindicated.

Getting rid of the mohawk would be an improvement, though.

Addicted Member

Only thing that worries me about Harper is whether we should sign him or Trout. I know Harper grew up a Yankee fan.

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    Only thing that worries me about Harper is whether we should sign him or Trout. I know Harper grew up a Yankee fan.
    Yankee fans really need to drop this attitude and likewise stop relying on things like this happening anymore. Teams are paying their players. Unless a stud player is on Tampa or Miami 9 times out of 10 they aren't hitting the free agent market in their prime years.

Yankee fans really need to drop this attitude and likewise stop relying on things like this happening anymore. Teams are paying their players. Unless a stud player is on Tampa or Miami 9 times out of 10 they aren't hitting the free agent market in their prime years.
    I wish I could quote this a million times. Harper was a Yankee fan as a kid. Now he's a National and will make like $400 million playing 20 years for them.

Agreed. And I hope Harper stays in DC. That's halfway because I love the Nats, but halfway because I love it when great players can be lifers. You think Cal Ripken, or even the great Derek Jeter, would be as beloved or as special if he had switched teams halfway through his career? Obviously not everyone needs to or can stay with one team for his whole career. But if the really, really special players can-- like Ripken, or Jeter, or Harper-- that's good for baseball, and certainly good for a Nats franchise which is still very new. Opposite example: Albert Pujols. He could have been a Cardinals legend, or even if he had started to decline last year in St. Louis, he could have been beloved by a whole generation like a Jeter or a Ripken is. It's a shame that he's in Anaheim (and sort of a shame for the Angels too, haha).

Addicted Member

I am all for this provided we can develop some prospects like Jeter and Rivera.

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    I am all for this provided we can develop some prospects like Jeter and Rivera.
    I doesn't matter what you are for. It is the new reality.

But the attitude that the Yankees can just scoop up every good young star from other orginizations is even sillier (and entitled sounding) now than it was ten years ago because it simply does it happen as often anymore.

NYYF Cy Young

I would be shocked if Strasburg or Harper ever left DC to be honest.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Ditto. I live in the DC area and have been lucky enough to see him play a half-dozen times, and the only one who I've seen dominate as completely as Harper is Mariano (completely different sphere of the game, but same certainty about greatness).

The rate at which he adjusts/adapts is also just incredible. The guy barely played college ball, then barely played in the minors, and yet managed to adjust to ML pitching with remarkably few hiccups. Anybody should have growing pains at 19. He's managed to avoid them almost entirely.

I said last year that Harper was and would be better than Trout, and people scoffed. I might still be wrong, but for now I feel vindicated.

Getting rid of the mohawk would be an improvement, though.
    It looks like he did, but whatever the heck he's sporting now looks just as bizarre. He said in an interview he was looking for a barber who could give him the "rockabilly" look. I have no idea what that means. He's trimmed the beard back too. He was giving Werth a run for his money in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    It looks like he did, but whatever the heck he's sporting now looks just as bizarre. He said in an interview he was looking for a barber who could give him the "rockabilly" look. I have no idea what that means. He's trimmed the beard back too. He was giving Werth a run for his money in that category.
    I would think the "rockabilly" look would be a D.A.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    future yankee

modern mickey mantle
    No way. Doesn't drink nearly enough to be the Mick's league. In fact, as a mormon I don't think he drinks at all.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I would think the "rockabilly" look would be a D.A.
    Well, they say every style comes back around if you wait long enough.

The worst thing about cooking a great cut of hanger steak is the 5 minutes of torture waiting for the meat to rest.

You can see the juices just glistening on the surface, smell the the slightly charred meat, and see the meat oxidize (turn red).

But you gotta wait.

This is how I feel about Bryce Harper. We'll get him in FA soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I would be shocked if Strasburg or Harper ever left DC to be honest.
    It's still remarkable how they managed to get those two in back-to-back drafts. Doubtful we'll see anything like that anytime soon.

harper's not born and raised in dc so i don't see this idea of a home team holding much attachment.

for fans who value it, get real. unless you want to celebrate the reserve system for producing loyalty or some such bull................
    always reasonable

Thread Information