+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Austin Romine Era to Begin...

Will be on the team by tomorrow.

Anyone else excited? It's sad to see Cervelli get hurt, too bad it wasn't Stewart, but I'm happy to see Romine get a shot

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: Austin Romine Era to Begin...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

Anyone else excited? It's sad to see Cervelli get hurt, too bad it wasn't Stewart, but I'm happy to see Romine get a shot
    Romine needs to relax, hit ninth and understand that right now his role is to provide defense, not offense.

My fear is that he trys to hard and ends up with a Mendozaish slash line which results in a demotion again.

My hope is that he settles into a .250/.300/.400 slash line and bridges the gap until Cervi returns.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I know Girardi loves his scrub veterans and is loathe to start young players, but I hope he realizes that you don't bring up a top prospect like Romine to sit the bench behind Chris Stewart. Stewart should remain the backup and give Romine his chance as a starter.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post

At this point, I rather not see anyone get hurt but it is exciting to see what Romine could do.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    I know Girardi loves his scrub veterans and is loathe to start young players, but I hope he realizes that you don't bring up a top prospect like Romine to sit the bench behind Chris Stewart. Stewart should remain the backup and give Romine his chance as a starter.
    I wouldn't bet on that happening. I expect Stewart to start.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

Yep. I really don't like Steward even as a backup. He is not a Molina. I am in agreement with earlier post and alternate Romine and see what happens. Sitting on the bench is not good. I don't know how Romine was doing but I am worried. I do like him better than Steward. We know what Steward will bring and it's not going to improve.

Which Molina? Because both are very good catchers.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Romine needs to relax, hit ninth and understand that right now his role is to provide defense, not offense.

My fear is that he trys to hard and ends up with a Mendozaish slash line which results in a demotion again.

My hope is that he settles into a .250/.300/.400 slash line and bridges the gap until Cervi returns.
    The Yankees have, like, 6 nine spot hitters.
    Complaining is a choice

I thought in the AL you put your worst guy in the 8th and a second leadoff in the 9th.

NYYF Legend

Stewie can play some D behind the plate and seems to call a good game.
    At least I haven't heard of any pitchers complaining about him.
    Just as recent as last night he was 2 for 2 throwing attempted base stealers out.

This doesn't mean he's the greatest defensive catcher out there, however he is very serviceable. I'm not sweating when he is behind the plate.
    Don't expect much when he is on the right side of the plate, but for his career he is above the Mendoza line.
    35% of baserunners throwen out over his career. A plus side DWAR albeit a fraction above 0.0...........at least it's not minus.

Looks like he doesn't take any gruff off of Joba either. He gave Joba a WTF look after he crossed him on a pitch and went to the mound to give Joba a little wake up call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Agreed. But you know Girardi will start Stewart today with CC on the mound. I hope Romine gets to catch more games than Warren has been alowed to pitch in so far.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    At this point, I rather not see anyone get hurt but it is exciting to see what Romine could do.
    Agreed. Sucks to lose Cervelli given how well he has been playing this year but it will be interesting to see how Romine responds to the opportunity.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I feel sad for Cervelli. He finally got his shot and was doing a really good job. Plus we're actually running out of players now. Hope he heals quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post

Why? He's a better player than Cervelli, only reason he's still in the minors is because he's missed a lot of time due to injuries.

A few garbage time innings here and there and by week two he might even be allowed to catch a full nine innings.

Austin was drafted almost 6 years ago and hopefully is ready for his chance. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Which Molina? Because both are very good catchers.
    I thought "molina" was just the Spanish word for "backup catcher."

I thought "molina" was just the Spanish word for "backup catcher."
    So does "yadier" mean "exception to the rule"?

NYYF Legend

Sadly Girardi is almost as much of a prospect killer as Torre was and will only let Romaine catch once a week.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Why? He's a better player than Cervelli, only reason he's still in the minors is because he's missed a lot of time due to injuries.
    Not that Cervelli is crazy amazing, but do we really know this for sure? Their minor league numbers arent THAT different, with Romine having more power and Cervelli having a better OBP. Maybe Romine would have better numbers if he hadn't lost so much development time, but I don't think there is an obvious upgrade just based on the stats

I'm not judging catching defense/receiving at all, because Cervelli has been so all over the map and I dont know enough about how Romine is now (I know he's been highly regarded before)

I haven't really been paying much attention to the minors so far this year... has there been any more issues with Romine's back?

To me, the biggest question is how good Romine is at framing pitches.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Not that Cervelli is crazy amazing, but do we really know this for sure? Their minor league numbers arent THAT different, with Romine having more power and Cervelli having a better OBP. Maybe Romine would have better numbers if he hadn't lost so much development time, but I don't think there is an obvious upgrade just based on the stats

I'm not judging catching defense/receiving at all, because Cervelli has been so all over the map and I dont know enough about how Romine is now (I know he's been highly regarded before)
    Romine's always been the better prospect. I'm really not a fan of Cervelli so my opinion is a bit skewed here.

NYYF Legend

the positive here is that if romine performs, we have another trade chip at the deadline in cervelli... they've been trying to deal him forever
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Romine's always been the better prospect.
    Sure, but thats pretty nebulous. I'm trying to quantify that, because their offensive stats aren't really that different

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Sure, but thats pretty nebulous. I'm trying to quantify that, because their offensive stats aren't really that different
    Cervelli only had one season in the mL where he had more than 160PA. Romine's first three seasons (430+ PA) were fairly good for a young catcher.

Thread Information