+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hal's bad judgement thread

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    The Yankees need to part ways with Trost and Levine..... in my opinion.
    I beleive they are making baseball decsions dealing with personell and they should not be doing so.
    There was noise that they were behind the Ichiro 2 year deal- doesn't seem like a Cashman type of move
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    There was noise that they were behind the Ichiro 2 year deal- doesn't seem like a Cashman type of move
    Wouldn't surprise me.
    They're all about the revenue streams and they must've thought the Japanese stream needed a boost.
    I dislike Levine and Trost - and I cannot explain why.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Devoted Member

Wouldn't surprise me.
    They're all about the revenue streams and they must've thought the Japanese stream needed a boost.
    I dislike Levine and Trost - and I cannot explain why.
    The sooner they are gone from the Yankees, the better.

but, other than ichiro, who were they gonna get? the 189 cap seemed at the time to be very imposing.

at this stage ichiro probably isn't a full time of player, though there's still potential for a rebound. the nonmove of getting a big of piece is making the ichiro move look bad, but that's not a necessary connection. you could get ichiro and someone else, though ichiro's contract is oversized for what he is.
    always reasonable

The Yankees need to part ways with Trost and Levine..... in my opinion.
    I beleive they are making baseball decsions dealing with personell and they should not be doing so.
    It doesn't take a genius to realize both Lonn Trost and Randy Levine have hurt the organization more than they have helped it. If Hal chooses to keep one or both remaining in his employ as they continue to alienate paying customers that's his own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    It doesn't take a genius to realize both Lonn Trost and Randy Levine have hurt the organization more than they have helped it. If Hal chooses to keep one or both remaining in his employ as they continue to alienate paying customers that's his own fault.
    Levine played a key part in the new stadium deal that was very favorable to the Yanks ( and screwed the city ). On the money side he's a valuable asset. The problem is when he starts making baseball decisions. Hal has made it clear w/ the push to $189M where his priorities are. He's putting the bottom line ahead of winning and team construction and maintaining the Yankee brand

The empty seats tell the story

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Levine played a key part in the new stadium deal that was very favorable to the Yanks ( and screwed the city ). On the money side he's a valuable asset. The problem is when he starts making baseball decisions. Hal has made it clear w/ the push to $189M where his priorities are. He's putting the bottom line ahead of winning and team construction and maintaining the Yankee brand

I have to imagine that last part also has an impact on his contributions to the bottom line. Now that the deal is done with the city, I question whether he has any more value to add to this team.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

A fair comment, but a contributing reason to the Yankees' significant decline in attendance is a lackluster new ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    I have to imagine that last part also has an impact on his contributions to the bottom line. Now that the deal is done with the city, I question whether he has any more value to add to this team.
    No argument there. He's like the new incarnation of the "Tampa mafia" that had Georges ear. I wasn't touting him ( think he's a snake ) just pointing out that unlike the Tampa group, in some way he was actually useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    A fair comment, but a contributing reason to the Yankees' significant decline in attendance is a lackluster new ballpark.
    I've wondered about that. It was really surprising to me when I saw empty seats for the playoffs last year. Kinda makes it hard to blame the drop this year on the injuries and lowered expectations

The conventional wisdom is a new stadium creates buzz and higher attendance. I've lived outside the city for ages and have only been to the new stadium once. I'm a big fan of tradition, but didn't miss the inconveniences and less than stellar condition of the old stadium at all.

It's clear from watching on TV that there's less buzz as well. For those that have been there often- what do you think are the major factors? Ticket price ( affecting the type of fan attending ), the economy etc?

They were in a hard spot- a complete redo would have been extremely risky. Should they have done a Fenway type piecemeal renovation?

I really think it's just big screen TVs and broadcast technology making the viewing experience at bars, even at homes, much better than it used to be.

It's really at the point we get to see the game better on TV than in person.

PS: Trost and Levine are just doing their jobs. The Ichiro contract isn't even that bad anyway in a world where Jonny Gomez gets 10/2.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    I really think it's just big screen TVs and broadcast technology making the viewing experience at bars, even at homes, much better than it used to be.

PS: Trost and Levine are just doing their jobs. The Ichiro contract isn't even that bad anyway in a world where Jonny Gomez gets 10/2.
    Yeah. I like a lot of this post.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

For me, the inconvenience of going to a game just isn't worth it anymore. It has nothing to do with the new stadium.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Faith is a funny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Yeah. I like a lot of this post.
    Me thirds.

Yes, but I think that's been true for a while- probably since instant replay was invented. The flip side is the pluses of being at the game. Being able to see the whole field at the same time- seeing how the players work as a unit- your vision isn't limited to the pitcher/batter . Being with the crowd- I still remember the roar from the first game I went to ( Mantle HR )- I got goosebumps

You've got a point , but I don't think it explains entirely what's going on specifically with the Yanks

grizy,

Good post, but I respectfully say Trost needs to rethink his approach if his model is alienating the fanbase to the point where the team is losing revenue it otherwise would make.

Yes, but I think that's been true for a while- probably since instant replay was invented. The flip side is the pluses of being at the game. Being able to see the whole field at the same time- seeing how the players work as a unit- your vision isn't limited to the pitcher/batter . Being with the crowd- I still remember the roar from the first game I went to ( Mantle HR )- I got goosebumps

You've got a point , but I don't think it explains entirely what's going on specifically with the Yanks
    This is true for me as well, but by all reports (including my own) the crowd is either much tamer or the acoustics of the new stadium make it feel that way - or both. In fact, maybe it's a compounding effect. If the experience at the stadium is mildly diminished while the home viewing experience is vastly improved, some will question the expenditure/inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    This is true for me as well, but by all reports (including my own) the crowd is either much tamer or the acoustics of the new stadium make it feel that way - or both. In fact, maybe it's a compounding effect. If the experience at the stadium is mildly diminished while the home viewing experience is vastly improved, some will question the expenditure/inconvenience.
    I watched one of the playoff games at Foley's pub on 33rd street last year and seriously think there was more juice in that place than there would have been at the Stadium.

I realize that's a strange comparison, but the point is with tv's the way they are and with much of the core fan base feeling priced out, it's virtually at the point where some venues can even rival the stadium itself for intensity and loudness.

Some things about the Stadium experience will never be replicated, but the differences increasingly aren't worth the cost/time/commitment of going much beyond a couple of times a year, imho.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I live in Dallas and it's a completely different atmosphere going to game. It's a casual thing friends and companies do. Everyone buys a $30 ticket and goes about their way. Food is great and reasonably priced for a ballpark.

Mind you, the stadium is about 30 min from Dallas, proper with no mass transit and it's about 100 degrees for a 7pm game in the summer. It's fun and casual though. Everyone there is there to have a good time and/or a baseball fan. It makes going more fun.

Yankee Stadium just isn't fun- and I was 3 rows behind the Yankee dugout. You're there alone or sitting next to two people who don't know crap about the sport and are sending emails the whole time.

I'd rather watch the Yankees eating a hot dog 20 rows back in Ranger's stadium than sitting in the fancy seats at Yankee stadium with all I can eat steak and lobster.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

I've only been to NYS once while seeing several Yankee games at Camden Yards in recent years. CY is more fun. There are enough Yankee fans to make it friendly territory and they tend to make more noise than you would expect. The rivalry with the O's fans has been friendly in the sections I have sat in and I feel like I am getting a decent value on the concessions. Plus I can drive right up and park for the same price as YS in the 90's.

I'm not in a rush to go back to NYS. Sure, now the bathrooms are nicer. But I still liked the old place better.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

I actually miss the old bathrooms.... There's something charming about open troughs and no dividing walls....added a lot more flavor to the games, IMHO
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    I actually miss the old bathrooms.... There's something charming about open troughs and no dividing walls....added a lot more flavor to the games, IMHO
    Having the guy next to you pee on you while he checks his cell phone is not very charming, but whatever.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Having the guy next to you pee on you while he checks his cell phone is not very charming, but whatever.
    You can have your thoughts on crossing swords, I'll have mine
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post

Yankee Stadium just isn't fun- and I was 3 rows behind the Yankee dugout. You're there alone or sitting next to two people who don't know crap about the sport and are sending emails the whole time.

I'd rather watch the Yankees eating a hot dog 20 rows back in Ranger's stadium than sitting in the fancy seats at Yankee stadium with all I can eat steak and lobster.
    I don't get it. Because you went to one game and sat next to two people who didn't know crap about the game and spent the game emailing, you believe that's the experience throughout Yankee Stadium every single game? I will give you that the many corporate fans in the legends seats are fair-weathered fan, not diehard or there just to entertain. But, I think that applies to most ballparks.

If I went to Rangers Ballpark and happened to sit next to a couple of cowboys who didn't know the inside fly rule from Levi's button fly jeans and kept screaming "Yahoo!!" throughout the game no matter the situation, would that define everyone's and the overall experience at Arlington?

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I don't get it. Because you went to one game and sat next to two people who didn't know crap about the game and spent the game emailing, you believe that's the experience throughout Yankee Stadium every single game? I will give you that the many corporate fans in the legends seats are fair-weathered fan, not diehard or there just to entertain. But, I think that applies to most ballparks.

If I went to Rangers Ballpark and happened to sit next to a couple of cowboys who didn't know the inside fly rule from Levi's button fly jeans and kept screaming "Yahoo!!" throughout the game no matter the situation, would that define everyone's and the overall experience at Arlington?
    I am not familiar with the inside fly rule - is that the rule where, if the fly ball is inside the fence, the fielder is allowed to catch the ball but if the ball is over the fence, the fan is allowed to catch the ball?
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information