+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Re: The "Mariano Rivera Pays Tribute" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I'm sitting here trying to determine Mariano's finest moment as a reliever:

The one I always go back to is game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. Three innings of shut baseball against a fierce Red Sox lineup. That wins it for me every time.
    Yep, mine too. The shot of him down on the mound as Boone rounded the bases is fu... epic.

I was at the game tonight. Didn't really overthink the 8th inning thing to much. There were still a lot of fans at the stadium in the 8th and the moment was just great to watch live with the family. The 9th inning was a ghost town as everyone headed out. Glad to see the louder reaction in the 8th

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Guys I am seriously going to friggin lose it when this guy retires. I know its just baseball blah blah blah...but when he throws his last pitch for us, thats going to be hard to accept.
    That is why I am enjoying this season despite the injuries and the state of our team in general. Last chance to see Mo.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    Only after you quipped about my "conspiracy theory". I merely mentioned what the talk was prior to the game. It doesn't bother me, I watched & enjoyed the tribute to the premier closer on a great All-State game night.
    Agreed, it was a great night. No complaints here.

NYYF Legend

Amazing. On one hand you have so many baseball fans who take pride in not caring about the ASG (usually the SABR guys) and on the other hand you have the fans who are up in arms about which inning Mo pitched in this game. Two extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Amazing. On one hand you have so many baseball fans who take pride in not caring about the ASG (usually the SABR guys) and on the other hand you have the fans who are up in arms about which inning Mo pitched in this game. Two extremes.
    I sort of have mixed feelings about both the ASG and pitching Mo in the 8th.

As far as the ASG, mostly I find it tedious and pointless now while watching...and yet, every year on that Tuesday, I look forward to it almost out of nostalgia or something.

As far as Mo...I see why Leyland wanted to ensure he got in the game...on the other hand, it's an example of sports getting too scripted lately. Part of the thrill of sports is hoping for somethign to happen, not ensuring it happens. If Rivera were saved for the 9th, I would have had something to root for in the bottom of the 8th (for the NL not to take the lead). As it stood, I rooted for nothing all night outside of Mariano mowing them down, of course.

But as soon as he was done, I was out.

NYYF Legend

He'd better be careful with that. It looks like it would be easy to break it!

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregzzy22 View Post
    Guys I am seriously going to friggin lose it when this guy retires. I know its just baseball blah blah blah...but when he throws his last pitch for us, thats going to be hard to accept.
    I was driving in my car the other day and was just THINKING about that last home game at Yankee Stadium and the crowd chanting "Mariano" and I started crying. I don't know what I'm going to do when the moment actually gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I'm sitting here trying to determine Mariano's finest moment as a reliever:

The one I always go back to is game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. Three innings of shut baseball against a fierce Red Sox lineup. That wins it for me every time.
    Yes. I was at that game and was too busy jumping up and down and screaming like an idiot to notice that but when I saw the pictures of Mo crumpled on the mound later, that was really emotional.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

NYYF MVP

Have a ticket to the game as well and the more I think about it, the more I don't want to (even think about it). Didn't dread the anticipation of having dental surgery earlier this year, like this.

It's going to be a verrrrrrry heavy night, for sure.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    As far as Mo...I see why Leyland wanted to ensure he got in the game...on the other hand, it's an example of sports getting too scripted lately. Part of the thrill of sports is hoping for somethign to happen, not ensuring it happens.
    I think it was more a case of them seeing a "Perfect Storm." Baseball is impossible enough to be able to predict, or take any possible outcome for granted. The game was ALL about Mo and the sight of that field totally cleared for him to enter to face his 3 batters ... Wow.

Kudos to everyone involved for recognising this PERFECT (IMO, a la "guaranteed") setting and pouncing on it.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

link?
    Complaining is a choice

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    I remember when there was no award... I'm older.
    I remember when there was no All Star Game -- Muggs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's not only his saves we're looking at.

Name the stat. Mariano is better.
    Just took a look at both on Baseball Reference. Mo is better in every single statistic, most by a lot. Mo pitched a lot more innings and walked a lot less batters. He pitched better at age 43 than Sutter did at age 33. It's such a no contest that I'm doubting the sincerity of the post.

I also watched Gossage his entire career. He was great but he would often have control issues. His fastball could also be flat and travel a long way. Ask George Brett. Mo never had either problem.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

It's kind of ironic that Mo gets a trophy shaped like a bat since I don't think he ever had a hit in his major league career. I hope the Yankees have a statue of Mo after he is elected to the HOF. In fact there should be statues of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle and DiMaggio as well.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    link?
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/wp-conten...07/mariano.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    It's kind of ironic that Mo gets a trophy shaped like a bat since I don't think he ever had a hit in his major league career.
    He has an RBI, though! One!

not mo paying tribute but Kenny Albert tweets this

"Just witnessed great scene in a Boston steakhouse. An ovation for Mariano Rivera from entire restaurant. In Boston!"

https://twitter.com/KennyAlbert

NYYF Legend

Mo did pay tribute to Boston fans and long-time employees before yesterday's game, though. They mentioned it briefly on Fox.

Here's the Yankees.com story:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

The last time Mariano Rivera heard cheers at Fenway Park was Opening Day 2005. The Red Sox had just hoisted their first championship banner in 86 years, advancing to the World Series after toppling Rivera's Yankees in an epic seven-game American League Championship Series.

Rivera laughed off the cheers that day, even doffing his cap to the largely pro-Red Sox crowd. The fans returned the favor in the ninth inning on Saturday, offering the retiring closer a standing ovation as he entered for the ninth inning of the Yankees' 5-2 win over Boston.

"Yesterday, when I was going to the bullpen, they did the same thing," Rivera said. "It's like an appreciation, I guess. It's great, though. They do that, acknowledge you knowing that you've been there for so many years."

"I think it's the class of the fans here," manager Joe Girardi said. "Even though there's been a lot of history between Mo and the Red Sox, a lot of times he's been in games that are extremely important, and I think they understand what Mo has done and what he's meant to the game. And I'm sure Mo is appreciative."

After a period of struggles against the Red Sox that included games at the height of the rivalry, Rivera has straightened out his issues with Boston, striking out two around a bloop single to convert his 12th straight Fenway save opportunity on Saturday -- a streak that dates back to June 3, 2007.

"I always love to pitch here. Always," Rivera said. "Yankee Stadium is home, but when I come here, this is a great game. We play big, big games here. It's always good."

Rivera said that he had "a great day" at Fenway Park on Saturday, and it extended beyond the nine innings on the field. He met with a dozen Red Sox fans and employees in a skybox above the third-base side on Saturday, hearing their inspirational stories as Rivera's "Mo-ment of Thanks" tour continued.

J.P. and Paul Norden, brothers from Stoneham, Mass., who each lost part of their right legs in the Boston Marathon attack, had the chance to interact with Rivera, as did 13-year-old Harry Clark, a Jimmy Fund patient from Wellesley, Mass., who developed an inoperable brain tumor in 2009 but continues to cheer for David Ortiz and his teammates.

Rivera said that he was also touched by his meeting with 19-year-old Fernando Morales, a Jimmy Fund patient from Norwood, Mass., who was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma in 2011 and recently relapsed. Unable to continue playing soccer and running track, Morales has turned his attention to furthering his education.

"It was wonderful," Rivera said. "He's not giving up. He's going and doing different things. That's what it is all about. It was wonderful, beautiful. We had a great time."

NYYF Legend

Good stuff.

NYYF Legend

A little more in-depth on the fan interactions from the other side, Pete Abraham did a nice job with the piece he wrote:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...at_fenway.html
    John Basmanian can’t remember for sure, but he probably was at the game that day. The guy everybody at Fenway calls “Baz” has been working at the park for 46 years selling tickets.

In the years since, surely their paths crossed. If you count the postseason, Rivera has walked into Fenway Park more than any ballpark other than Yankee Stadium. Baz? He’s as much a part of Fenway as the Pesky Pole.

On Saturday, the two career baseball men finally met.

“Pretty special,” Basmanian said. “I’ve got tears in my eyes.”

Basmanian asked Rivera what role religion played in his career. The two then spoke at length about their shared Christian beliefs. Rivera said he credits his faith for his success and tries to stay humble.

“I wish more [players] had that,” Basmanian said.

“I wish that, too,” Rivera responded.

Rivera would have stayed longer, but Zillo prodded him out of the room to get back to the field. But he lingered, shaking hands and leaning in for whispered conversations.

“The man was humble and genuine,” Basmanian said. “I’ve been here 43 years and never talked to a player like that before. That was so sincere. He didn’t have to do that.”

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4trainEddie View Post
    not mo paying tribute but Kenny Albert tweets this

"Just witnessed great scene in a Boston steakhouse. An ovation for Mariano Rivera from entire restaurant. In Boston!"

https://twitter.com/KennyAlbert
    More on the incident of the steakhouse:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...j_nview_latest

As the sun set over Fenway Park on Saturday evening, Mariano Rivera saved a Yankees victory over the Red Sox for the 57th time in his career. A couple of hours later, he sat with his wife and children at a corner table at Abe and Louie's, a famous local steakhouse. And when he stood up to leave, something remarkable happened: People started to clap.

The applause started with a few tables. Then a few more. And by the time Rivera was done posing for photos and chatting with complete strangers, everyone in the restaurant was celebrating an icon of the most hated sports opponent this city has ever known.

"At one point, it finally came to a crescendo," said Fox broadcaster Kenny Albert, who called Saturday's game and was sitting at another table with his wife and a friend. "Basically the entire restaurant was clapping for him."

Do you guys think they'll do some sort of tribute to Mariano during his last game in NY (looks like Thursday, Sept 26)? I assume they will, and that they'll bring him in even in a non-save situation (because why not). I'm toying with the idea of going to that game, but to get there from my home in DC I'd have to take 2 vacation days, and I really don't want to do that if I don't think Mo will play. I sound ridiculous, I know, but I think it would be completely amazing (if sad!) to see his last game.

The chances he'll pitch then are good, though, right?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Do you guys think they'll do some sort of tribute to Mariano during his last game in NY (looks like Thursday, Sept 26)? I assume they will, and that they'll bring him in even in a non-save situation (because why not). I'm toying with the idea of going to that game, but to get there from my home in DC I'd have to take 2 vacation days, and I really don't want to do that if I don't think Mo will play. I sound ridiculous, I know, but I think it would be completely amazing (if sad!) to see his last game.

Yes and yes. This is why I got my tickets for that game right when they went on sale. And with the trajectory the Yankees are on it may be his last game in NY ever.

Absolutely. I had tickets first row in the bullpen and second row in the grandstand behind home plate. I decided to sell the bleachers and stick with the second row grandstands I have in 420A. I want to be as close as I can (in a seat I could afford) for his last pitch in the stadium. I have no doubt there is at least a ceremony of some type for him.

NYYF Legend

Then again, Mariano Rivera bobblehead night is Tuesday, so I hope this isn't a sign of anything.

NYYF Legend

You can also try for his last game in Houston. You can get close to the dugout for about $170 from the Astros

Thread Information