+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The "Mariano Rivera Pays Tribute" thread

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am wondering if this entire season of Mariano's tributes to the fans and employees of other teams warrants its own thread - so far, he has done Detroit & Cleveland, both times with a very classy act.
    The above was posted in the "Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread" thread. I think it does, and so here it is.

Rivera takes time to talk with veterans at the Trop

ST. PETERSBURG -- Bill Werts spends most of his time at Tropicana Field working in the media dining room or, toward the end of each home game, taking in the final innings from his wheelchair in the press box.

But the 67-year-old Vietnam War veteran, wheelchair-bound because of multiple sclerosis, ventured into the bowels of the stadium early Tuesday evening to join 16 veterans from Tampa's James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital in a small equipment room, where they met with Yankees closer Mariano Rivera for about half an hour. The group included veterans of the Vietnam War, Gulf War, current military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and one man who served in the Army during World War II.

"It's amazing. They're sacrificing," Rivera said. "We go on the field to play. They go on the field to defend us, fight for us, give their life for us. We need more things to be done for these people after they finish. We've seen people that are injured. What gets done for them? We need to get more stuff done."

Rivera talked to the assembled crowd, which also included family members and hospital staffers, then answered questions and took pictures with the veterans. He signed a baseball for each of them, with Tuesday's date below his signature.
    More at the above link.

Re: The "Mariano Rivera Pays Tribute" thread

Good thread idea. Still can not believe it is his final season

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

I just love this guy. Hopefully he has a monster season and goes for another.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

It definitely deserves its own thread. Thanks.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

He's doing something similar at every road city he goes to for the final time -- taking time out to meet some behind-the-scenes people and some fans.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    He's doing something similar at every road city he goes to for the final time -- taking time out to meet some behind-the-scenes people and some fans.
    Dude is such a professional human being. Now that's how you go out in style

NYYF Legend

I'm glad you started the thread -tz. It'll be nice to have all the tributes in one place.

Mo is such a class act.

NYYF Legend

I thought I'd bring over the articles that had already been posted during the Cleveland series.

This was the article originally linked in the 2013 Mariano Rivera Peformance Thread:
    And this was the article originally linked in the Interesting Yankee News Items That Do Not Warrant Their Own Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by StingrayJG View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else here but, just another classy move by a rare breed we can use a lot more of in professional sports....

Mariano Rivera thanks Indians employees on final visit there

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb....ap/index.html

Edited to Add: And here is an article from the Detroit Free Press that tells of those fans with whom Mo met in Detroit:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013040...th-celebrating
    On Saturday afternoon, in a room adjacent to the Yankees clubhouse, Rivera spent time with three Tigers fans, a group picked for symbolic reasons.

He met Eddie Goward, a former groundskeeper at Tiger Stadium; Steven Rollins of Gaylord, a Navy man who has served three combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq; and John O'Neil Sr., who was born in Detroit and has been a season-ticket holder since 1991 in Tiger Stadium.

Rivera posed for pictures and signed autographs for all three.

"I never left a game, like most people, when you came in to pitch," O'Neil said. "Because most people thought it was over when you came in."

"Thank you," Rivera said. "Thank you for being fans."

We need to start a "one more year" chant. He's too good to retire. At this rate, he'll have 40 saves. I truly hope he changes his mind.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeprideU2 View Post
    We need to start a "one more year" chant. He's too good to retire. At this rate, he'll have 40 saves. I truly hope he changes his mind.
    I wish he was going to give it another year too, but I'd be shocked if he changed his mind. He seems to be at peace with his decision and has given a lot of thought to how he would like to thank everyone.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I wish he was going to give it another year too, but I'd be shocked if he changed his mind. He seems to be at peace with his decision and has given a lot of thought to how he would like to thank everyone.
    I have no doubt that what he's doing now is not easy. He's at the age where it takes an extraordinary amount of effort to play at the level of a top tier professional athlete. He just makes it look way, way, way too easy but I think I have a sense of how much the man works at this. He can't keep doing it forever, so IMO he's putting everything he's got into one last successful year

NYYF Legend

He strikes me as a man of his word.

How about a few less paying tributes and a few more not giving up 3 singles in the 9th?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    How about a few less paying tributes and a few more not giving up 3 singles in the 9th?
    He is human.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    He is human.
    I have heard that.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I have heard that.
    Mariano bought a church in New Rochelle. It is being renovated. He will be a minister there. Saving souls...........

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Mariano bought a church in New Rochelle. It is being renovated. He will be a minister there. Saving souls...........
    .......and ballgames.

Where did you see or hear that? I don't doubt it - I'd just like to read about it.

ESPN is airing a special with Mo tonight at 7:00.

.......and ballgames.

Where did you see or hear that? I don't doubt it - I'd just like to read about it.

ESPN is airing a special with Mo tonight at 7:00.
    Her you go Knucke........ http://www.christianpost.com/news/ya...-church-51696/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_Pasqua_Pags View Post
    Muchas gracias.

NYYF Legend

As part of his 'Mo'ment of Thanks farewell tour, Mariano Rivera met with 20 of the Yankees' longest season-ticket holders on Tuesday at Yankee Stadium, conducting a Q&A session. Each participant received a baseball autographed by Rivera.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

NYYF Legend

Wow - what an awesome experience that must have been. I wonder if he's also posing for photos with everybody?

NYYF Legend

Wow - what an awesome experience that must have been. I wonder if he's also posing for photos with everybody?
    While I don't know the answer to that question--although I certainly wouldn't be surprised--I know that you're out of market and don't always get to see YES Network stuff. They've posted a short video of Mo's meeting with the lucky season ticket holders, it was more like a mini press conference. Hearing him speak about the development of the cutter was particularly amusing. You can see it here:
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide..._id=yesnetwork

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    While I don't know the answer to that question--although I certainly wouldn't be surprised--I know that you're out of market and don't always get to see YES Network stuff. They've posted a short video of Mo's meeting with the lucky season ticket holders, it was more like a mini press conference. Hearing him speak about the development of the cutter was particularly amusing. You can see it here:
    http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide..._id=yesnetwork
    I don't know why I don't think to check the YES site. I used to do it a couple of times a week. Thanks for the heads up!

NYYF Legend

Yankees closer spends time with Rockies Employees

Rivera was sitting in an interview room adjacent to the Rockies clubhouse. He was speaking to 12 longtime Rockies employees, something Rivera has been doing in every opposing ballpark in his final season in the game. "I pitched here when we came here in '95, but that's it," Rivera continued, referring to two exhibition games the Yankees and Rockies played that year. "It was freezing, too. I remember Andy Pettitte was pitching. I said, 'Andy, just get them out, because I don't want to pitch.' "

The Rockies employees laughed. Their workday was being spiced up by something highly unusual, something memorable. They were listening to Rivera, the all-time leader in saves, in a small gathering and would leave the room with an autographed baseball and an unexpectedly personal glimpse of a future Hall of Famer.

"It's very unique. I've never heard of anything like this," said Michael Kent, the Rockies' vice president of finance. "I've been in baseball over 30 years. And there's a lot of great players that have retired and they honor them a lot of different ways, but I've never heard of this approach."

Yankees director of communications Jason Zillo explained to the group that Rivera as part of his farewell tour has asked to meet with employees of opposing organizations and thank them for their efforts. Zillo organizes the sessions with help from his counterparts on opposing teams.

"The one thing he told me when he decided to do this," Zillo said, standing next to Rivera before he spoke, "is if you're employees for the Rockies, you're probably not Yankees fans, and that's OK. And you don't have to be a Mariano Rivera fan, particularly, but he wanted to do something different and unique and I think this is pretty unprecedented what he's doing."

Rivera told the employees that he wanted to thank some of the "behind the scenes" people who work in baseball, recognize their contributions and make sure they know they are not taken for granted.

Rivera expressed his thanks to head groundskeeper Mark Razum and two members of his crew for their tireless efforts Tuesday night to keep the field as playable as possible when it rained steadily during the game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

NYYF Triple Crown

Not completely on the tribute topic but thought it was worth sharing....

http://www.mlb.com/cutfour/index.jsp...entId=47151580

edit: just saw this in performance thread, sorry for cross-post...
    Jimmy G. (Seniority 03/28/1994)
    1994-2008: Main Res MVP Sec. 14, Row G
    2009: Section 330, Row 6
    2010: Section 233A, Row 20
    2011: Section 229, Row 16 *All Sunday Plans*
    2012: No longer STH, liberated!

Thread Information