+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Today We Spell Boss- George nyybronxbomber73's Avatar

MLB Investigating Connection Between Robinson Cano Associate and Biogenesis

The spokeswoman for Robinson Cano's foundation is listed as having been a client of the Biogenesis clinic last summer, although she denies having received anything from the clinic and says Cano "definitely never did."

Major League Baseball, however, has possession of a Biogenesis client roster that lists the spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, and is investigating whether Cano had any relationship to the clinic, sources familiar with MLB's investigation told "Outside the Lines."

Cano has denied knowing clinic founder Tony Bosch or having ever used performance-enhancing drugs. But as his best friend, Melky Cabrera, his mentor, Alex Rodriguez, and now his spokeswoman have all been connected to clinic documents, MLB wants to know whether any relationship between Cano and the clinic exists.

Cruz, 31, says she was never a client of the Miami-area clinic at the heart of an ongoing performance-enhancing drug scandal, but records obtained by "Outside the Lines" list her as owing $300 in both July and August of last year. The records indicate that she paid the full balance in July, but the August records do not mention any payment.

Two former Bosch associates said the $300 monthly tab was consistent with a weight-loss regimen, not performance-enhancing drugs.

It was not clear whether the documents obtained by "Outside the Lines" were the same as the documents recently obtained by MLB.

When initially contacted by "Outside the Lines" last month, Cruz said she could not speak about the clinic and said, "I need to talk to Scott," referring to Cano's agent at the time, Scott Boras. Boras has since been replaced by agents at the Creative Artists Agency, but at the time said Cano had no connection to the clinic.

When reached again on her mobile phone Monday, Cruz denied having ever been a Biogenesis client.

"I met with a nurse who works for the clinic, but I met her outside the clinic just to talk to her about a diet program they have for women," she said. "I never went through with it once she explained what it was. I thought it was just a diet/nutritional thing, but it was diet, nutrition, pills and stuff."

Cruz said she was introduced to the nurse "by another person" and said she never followed up to find out what sort of pills the nurse was recommending. She said she could not remember the nurse's name.

A man described by several sources as Cruz's boyfriend, Orlando Dager, is also listed as a client in the July and August records. He is listed as having owed $300 each month, but having paid $100 and $150. Dager could not be reached for comment, and Cruz declined to describe their relationship or anything about him.

"I can't speak on his behalf," she said.

The clinic, which closed in September after Bosch had a financial dispute with some of his associates, offered weight-loss services, often involving the use of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) and human growth hormone, both of which are illegal without a prescription and banned by Major League Baseball. Bosch, who is not a licensed physician, is the subject of a Florida Department of Health investigation into whether he illegally practiced medicine, sources have said.

So far almost 30 major and minor league baseball players have been connected to the clinic, including Rodriguez, Cabrera, Ryan Braun, Nelson Cruz and Francisco Cervelli. Cabrera, who served a 50-game suspension after a positive PED test last season, has declined comment, while the others have denied receiving or using PEDs. MLB has not interviewed Cano or any of the players but has been in talks with the MLB Players Association to set up interviews with any players connected to the clinic.

Major League Baseball has had several members of its investigations department in Florida over the past several months, attempting to gather evidence that could be used to suspend any players who used or received banned substances. Sources told "Outside the Lines" that at least three former Bosch associates have cooperated with MLB investigators, although they were not aware if the associates had provided information that would justify a suspension in lieu of a positive drug test. As The New York Times first reported, MLB paid for some Biogenesis documents, but the documents themselves are unlikely to be enough for a suspension unless someone who had a direct connection to the documents is willing to swear out an affidavit to their legitimacy and accuracy.
    Link to the Story: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...is-sources-say

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Re: MLB Investigating Connection Between Robinson Cano Associate and Biogenesis

This sucks. Please don't be involved Robbie.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Oh great.

Watch that prick Scott Boras try and spin this to sound like the Cano's spokesperson, Sonia, tried contacting him to deny anything he hears about Cano and this biogenesis clinic. After all, Boras is probably still salty after Cano left him for another agent.

I just hope they find nothing on Cano. As for A-rod, who gives a damn. Maybe it will allow us to terminate his contract, or receive 100% insurance on it.

It'll be a shame watching the entire forum turn on him viciously without any actual evidence coming out... oh wait, this isn't A-Rod? Never mind. We support you Robbie!

I know there's no smoking gun or proof with Cano, but at some point, there's a helluva lot of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    It'll be a shame watching the entire forum turn on him viciously without any actual evidence coming out... oh wait, this isn't A-Rod? Never mind. We support you Robbie!
    Exactly. I'm glad that you're on our side, then.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Exactly. I'm glad that you're on our side, then.
    I mean, maybe if A-Rod had some good playoff series like Cano did last year, I'd be a little more forgiving. He's not a True Yankee like Robbie.

NYYF Legend

Innocent until proven guilty and I'll continue to support him as long as he is wearing a Yankee uniform but honestly, nothing would shock me at this point. And if it turns out there is a link to PED use, better it come out now than after we hand him $200 million.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty and I'll continue to support him as long as he is wearing a Yankee uniform but honestly, nothing would shock me at this point. And if it turns out there is a link to PED use, better it come out now than after we hand him $200 million.

Excellent point.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

lol who gives a fukc. let's get some better suppliers for robbie
    always reasonable

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed on all counts. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

NYYF Legend

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...sEnabled=false
    Following a Major League Baseball probe into the ties between the spokeswoman for Cano’s foundation to Anthony Bosch and his Biogenesis clinic, sources told the Daily News Monday that the Yankee superstar does not appear to be linked to the clinic and that his name does not appear on MLB’s list of players who allegedly obtained performance-enhancing drugs from Bosch.

Addicted Member

Remind me never to get involved with scheisters from Florida.

NYYF Legend

Well, here we go again. The media rushes to get the Breaking News credit and look what happens.

I expect there to be more about this, if for no other reason than it's Robinson Cano - and the Yankees.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Well, here we go again. The media rushes to get the Breaking News credit and look what happens.

I expect there to be more about this, if for no other reason than it's Robinson Cano - and the Yankees.
    I suspect your're right ... even if the "more" is there isn't any "more" they'll keep repeating it as long as they can for the meer fact that the Yankees are involved. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though I really hope Robbie is innocent in this ...

This chick digs the long ball

It would be a miracle if he's clean...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

It's a weak link (to Cano) at best but just to play devil's advocate, of all the weight loss regimens this woman could have possibly pursued, she somehow ended up at this random clinic in Miami that just so happens to be a PED supplier for MLB players around the country? Not that this in any way proves anything about Cano (again, it's a very weak link), but it does raise questions.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Unbelievable. Never ends.
    Boo for trading Prado.

NYYF Legend

Maybe we need a "Random PED-Related Stories That Do Not Deserve Their Own Thread" thread.

The resentment towards A-Rod is more of a result of him apparently being a second time offender than anything else. This guy had to nerve to come out four years ago "spilling his guts" and asking for forgiveness only to go right ahead and keep on doping. There was a lot of good will and support thrown his way by fans and teammates, good will he (once again, apparently) spit on like it meant nothing at all.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    The resentment towards A-Rod is more of a result of him apparently being a second time offender than anything else.
    I call BS.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    The resentment towards A-Rod is more of a result of him apparently being a second time offender than anything else. This guy had to nerve to come out four years ago "spilling his guts" and asking for forgiveness only to go right ahead and keep on doping. There was a lot of good will and support thrown his way by fans and teammates, good will he (once again, apparently) spit on like it meant nothing at all.
    The resentment towards ARod is a result of him not playing up to expectations, and then his contract.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    It would be a miracle if he's clean...
    unfortunately, this is how I feel about every major leaguer out there. it's a little disenheartening.
    "If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

Quote Originally Posted by Bozidar View Post
    unfortunately, this is how I feel about every major leaguer out there. it's a little disenheartening.
    Last night Kay and O'Neill gave a "scouting report" on Edwin Encarnacion which pointed out that between 2011 and 2012 his homer total increased by 25 and his average home run distance increased by 15 feet or whatever. And they said it with a straight face, as though everyone hearing it isn't immediately thinking PEDs.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information