+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1

    Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Nuno, 3 starts @ AAA: 17.2 innings, 10 H, 20 K, 1 BB. Lefty.

    Nova's ERA is over 7 since the all star break last year, with a WHIP well over 1.6 and a OPS against well over .900. Even in his "good" starts, he's teetering on the precipice of disaster. Nuno can't be worse. Even Wang would be a better choice right now (5.1 shutout innings in his first AAA start, 0 BB, 3 K).

    It's time to stop worrying about the long term implications this might have on Nova's ego.

  2. #2
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Nuno, 3 starts @ AAA: 17.2 innings, 10 H, 20 K, 1 BB. Lefty.

    Nova's ERA is over 7 since the all star break last year, with a WHIP well over 1.6 and a OPS against well over .900. Even in his "good" starts, he's teetering on the precipice of disaster. Nuno can't be worse. Even Wang would be a better choice right now (5.1 shutout innings in his first AAA start).

    It's time to stop worrying about the long term implications this might have on Nova's ego.
    but..but..but...He's the best pitcher in baseball according to himself.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  3. #3

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    but..but..but...He's the best pitcher in baseball according to himself.
    I took a time machine into today's post game show. Here's what Nova had to say:

    "I felt good out there. I think I threw the ball pretty well."

  4. #4
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I took a time machine into today's post game show. Here's what Nova had to say:

    "I felt good out there. I think I threw the ball pretty well."


    (probably right)

  5. #5

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Agree completely. Nova has shown nothing now for almost a full year, Phelps is in the wrong role, Warren is wasting away in the pen never getting into a game, and there are guys in AAA who are performing well. A change has to be made.

  6. #6
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    The Yankees seem to have an annoyingly long leash on home grown players who are just terrible. Two of them are currently on this team.

  7. #7

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    Agree completely. Nova has shown nothing now for almost a full year, Phelps is in the wrong role, Warren is wasting away in the pen never getting into a game, and there are guys in AAA who are performing well. A change has to be made.
    I give Cashman some credit for piecing together a team with all the injuries. But Cashman (and the rest of the organization) is clueless when it comes to player usage, player promotion/demotion.

    If they care at all about the team's performance this season, Nova has to go somewhere else. Either trade him if anyone wants him (doubt it), or send him to AAA. Nuno is wasting stellar starts at AAA that could be, at the very least, quality starts in the majors. He should have won the job over Nova out of spring training, really.

  8. #8

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    They could start by demoting Nova to the AAA rotation for some more work on command and developing a legit 3rd pitch, and moving Betances permanently to the bullpen.

  9. #9
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Wait, Warren is still on the team? He's pitched in two games all year, with his last being on the 9th. That's 7 innings all year for a guy who made exactly zero relief appearances in the minors.

    1012 innings/2.81 ERA between two former starters in the mL sitting in the bullpen while a guy with a much inferior track record gets to stink up the joint. This team is retarded.

  10. #10

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    They could start by demoting Nova to the AAA rotation for some more work on command and developing a legit 3rd pitch, and moving Betances permanently to the bullpen.
    Exactly it's not like they have to release him or something. Are they seriously that worried about what it will do to his ego/attitude if he's demoted? It happens. It happened to Cliff Lee at that stage of his career, too.

    He's killing the MLB club. The Yankees are 6-11 in his last 17 starts.

  11. #11

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Does Nova have options left? Can he be sent to the minors without going through waivers?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  12. #12

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Does Nova have options left? Can he be sent to the minors without going through waivers?
    Yes. http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2013/0...-options-left/

  13. #13

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Yes. He's not even arbitration eligible yet.
    Thanks for the info.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  14. #14

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    but..but..but...He's the best pitcher in baseball according to himself.
    He's been garbage ever since i referred to him as "untouchable" when someone on here mentioned him in a potential trade for Giancarlo Stanton last year.

  15. #15

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    He's been garbage ever since i referred to him as "untouchable" when someone on here mentioned him in a potential trade for Giancarlo Stanton last year.
    So it's your fault? Thanks.

  16. #16

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    He's been garbage ever since i referred to him as "untouchable" when someone on here mentioned him in a potential trade for Giancarlo Stanton last year.
    I stand corrected.

    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...le#post7548590

  17. #17

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    So it's your fault? Thanks.
    Sorry.

  18. #18

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Sorry.
    You'll pay for this!!!!!!!111111111111

  19. #19

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Nova's stuff actually looked pretty nasty today, it was just all over the place. He could probably use some time in the minors, but not sure if the Yankees have anyone that is clearly a better option at this point.

    Wang, should be out of the question. Its WAY too early to think about calling him up. Let's remember the guy hasn't pitched well at the ML level in about 5 years. Give him a little more than one AAA start (where he was on a pitch count).

    Phelps has struggled out of the pen and isn't stretched out. Warren hasn't been used so who knows how far he could go in a game and how well he be prepared for the start.

    Nuno is probably the best alternative option right now. That said its bit premature to call him up as the guy has less than 20 innings at AAA.

    I think the Yankees need to send down one of Warren or Phelps, probably Warren since he hasn't been used. Let him get going in the AAA rotation again and give the Yankees some more options.

    For now it seems like we're kind of stuck with Nova for at least another couple starts.

  20. #20

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Nova's stuff actually looked pretty nasty today, it was just all over the place. He could probably use some time in the minors, but not sure if the Yankees have anyone that is clearly a better option at this point.

    Wang, should be out of the question. Its WAY too early to think about calling him up. Let's remember the guy hasn't pitched well at the ML level in about 5 years. Give him a little more than one AAA start (where he was on a pitch count).
    I do think Wang needs to get his endurance up, but he also pitched well in the WBC (0 ER in 12 innings over 2 starts).

    Nuno is probably the best alternative option right now. That said its bit premature to call him up as the guy has less than 20 innings at AAA.
    The way he pitched this spring, combined with his starts at AAA, I'm more than willing to take the risk. The only issue is that he's not on the 40 man roster, but they could easily transfer Jeter to the 60-day DL to fix that.

    For now it seems like we're kind of stuck with Nova for at least another couple starts.
    I wouldn't say we're stuck, because I'd rather see Nuno regardless of his lack of experience, but I don't see the Yankees doing anything.

  21. #21
    NYYF Legend

    Sixty one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Raritan, New Jersey

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    They could start by demoting Nova to the AAA rotation for some more work on command and developing a legit 3rd pitch, and moving Betances permanently to the bullpen.
    Agreed. He again looks like he is over matched in certain situations. Perhaps he is better off as a long reliever.

  22. #22

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by surge511 View Post
    They could start by demoting Nova to the AAA rotation for some more work on command and developing a legit 3rd pitch, and moving Betances permanently to the bullpen.
    This.

    I also agree with the OP. I won't lie, I have always been a fan of Nova. He has a good fastball and nice put away slider/curve. He has major command issues though. And he needs to work on that very badly. I would promote Wang in a heart beat.

  23. #23

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I do think Wang needs to get his endurance up, but he also pitched well in the WBC (0 ER in 12 innings over 2 starts).



    The way he pitched this spring, combined with his starts at AAA, I'm more than willing to take the risk. The only issue is that he's not on the 40 man roster, but they could easily transfer Jeter to the 60-day DL to fix that.



    I wouldn't say we're stuck, because I'd rather see Nuno regardless of his lack of experience, but I don't see the Yankees doing anything.
    Its not just about endurance with Wang the guy hasn't had success in the majors for 5 years. His stuff has to be good and he's got to show consistency with it. Minor league results and what he did in the WBC facing two teams without any ML hitters is not meaningless, but its only a very small piece of the puzzle. If his stuff is not good and/or his command is not consistent he will get killed in the Majors. Its rare to see full comebacks like the one Wang is trying to make. I wish him the best and hope he can do it, but don't get your hopes up too quickly.

    Regarding Nuno as a fan you're willing to take a shot on Nuno. The Yankees as an organization are not so quick to pull the trigger on moves like that. They are much more patient than we as fans are as they know any sort of set back can really derail the progress a prospect is making.

  24. #24

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    He didn't make any excuses
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  25. #25
    NYYF Triple Crown

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Nova is tiresome. Call up Nuno or Wang.

    My guess is Michael Pineda is about a month away from a rehab assignment. I think the wisest thing to do is stick with Nova and hope for a Pineda sighting in June. If Pineda isn't ready, there should be enough of a track record to make a decision on Nova, either way.

    This gives guys like Phelps, Warren, Nuno and even Wang a bit more time to prepare for a possible opportunity.

    Remember, 40% of the rotation (Pettitte & Hughes) have some pretty real health concerns.

    It's way too early to make panic/premature decisions.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts