+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: Will Jeter ever really play again ?

Jeter in the dugout three days in a row, Yanks get their first sweep of the year. Coincidence? We think not.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by YogiKnows View Post
    It's amazing how fast this situation can 'cure itself'. 1. Youk is already showing the back spasms that made him useless the 2nd half of last year, besides when healthy he's been just fine at 3rd. 2. Tex comes back, his wrist isn't right and stays chronically bad and he's ineffective. 3. Overbay isn't even worth commenting on.

Now your problem is convincing Derek to move. My concern is Derek won't even be able to run the bases without re-injuring the ankle.
    This is the big thing right here. Without naming names, I seem to remember a couple posters who believe that he'll come back and put up a couple more 175-200 hit seasons...in the age range of 40+. There may never be a full recovery from this now twice fractured ankle. Even if he was 10 years younger I'd have my concerns.

Jeter will come back and be ON FIRE like last season and he'll be in the top 10 of the hits leaders ever.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by PDBowden View Post
    Jeter will come back and be ON FIRE like last season and he'll be in the top 10 of the hits leaders ever.
    I'll have what she's drinking.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I'll have what she's drinking.
    Well, cracking the top 10 in hits is a pretty low bar, even with being out until the break. And with the old hotfoot due for a comeback, being on fire really isn't much of an accomplishment either.

A guy does not go from a .316 batting average and most hits in the entire league to being done and out. Jeter could be hitting .270 and he would still be an asset to this team.

You pay all this money to see Nunez play? I don't think so. Jeter has an opt year next year, and I think Yankees will sign him through 2016, if he comes back strong the 2nd half of this year, and has an at least above average year next season.

I hope the critics, and haters keep it up with the negativity, because it just gives Jeter another hurdle to jump over and another challenge for him to meet, and you know how much he loves the challenges.

I'm not stressing about him when he comes back. He just came off a 200 hit season. Of course a drop in production is always a possibility and eventually imminent. But until it happens I would never count him out or done. I would be very shocked if he was done.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm not stressing about him when he comes back. He just came off a 200 hit season. Of course a drop in production is always a possibility and eventually imminent. But until it happens I would never count him out or done. I would be very shocked if he was done.
    Really? I wouldn't be shocked if he's able to return and play decently. But I also wouldn't be even slightly surprised if a 39-year-old shortstop wasn't able to come back from a broken and re-broken ankle.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Really? I wouldn't be shocked if he's able to return and play decently. But I also wouldn't be even slightly surprised if a 39-year-old shortstop wasn't able to come back from a broken and re-broken ankle.
    I don't expect him to be what he was but I definitely believe he will produce enough to bat at the top of the lineup again. As a SS I think his days are numbered.

I don't expect him to be what he was but I definitely believe he will produce enough to bat at the top of the lineup again. As a SS I think his days are numbered.
    But that's the issue. Does he hit enough to be a DH? At this stage of his career I can't see him transitioning to another position. I'm not even sure he's so inclined to change positions.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Let's see him not be able to play when he's healthy again before we take SS away. I know his days are numbered but I don't believe they are done.

Let's see him not be able to play when he's healthy again before we take SS away. I know his days are numbered but I don't believe they are done.
    Again, they might not be, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they are.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

I didn't think Mussina was going to retire after such a fine season, but he did because it was time. With Jeter coming off a significant ankle break in what will be pretty close to a year later if he can come back at all, I wouldn't be surprised a bit if he called it a career.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

It'll be tough to play next year at 40 if nothing positive happens in 2013.

2014 has to be the end.

I don't get this.

Broken bones heal. He re-fractured it... I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how or why that happened, but it could have been a fluke, really. Maybe he was favoring it because the muscles in his ankle weren't fully strengthened yet from all that down-time in a cast. But broken bones aren't career enders. Torn ligaments, cartilage problems, tendon problems, back problems... those are the injuries that can end a career. Not broken bones. Broken bones heal stronger than they were before.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    But that's the issue. Does he hit enough to be a DH? At this stage of his career I can't see him transitioning to another position. I'm not even sure he's so inclined to change positions.
    He had a .941 OPS against LHP last year. If nothing else, he'd be a hell of a RH half of a DH platoon.

He also batted .388 (.963 OPS) from the DH slot in 2012 (103 AB). Maybe not playing in the field is something that's good for him, even if he doesn't like it.

NYYF Cy Young

I was at the game yesterday, and I kept using my binoculars to watch the dugout. I noticed the Captain sitting there with his boot on, and clapping and high fiving his teammates, notably Ichiro and Stewart. He had a big smile on his face the whole time. I think you have to get something from that positive attitude.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I don't get this.

Broken bones heal. He re-fractured it... I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how or why that happened, but it could have been a fluke, really. Maybe he was favoring it because the muscles in his ankle weren't fully strengthened yet from all that down-time in a cast. But broken bones aren't career enders. Torn ligaments, cartilage problems, tendon problems, back problems... those are the injuries that can end a career. Not broken bones. Broken bones heal stronger than they were before.
    Not sure its a question of broken bones healing well enough, although for an athlete at his age you have to take that into account. I think it's more a question of what happens with his contract. Does he come back next year at the paltry $8M player option, or does the team buy him out? At this crossroad, I really believe it may be good for both parties to call it a historic career.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Not sure its a question of broken bones healing well enough, although for an athlete at his age you have to take that into account. I think it's more a question of what happens with his contract. Does he come back next year at the paltry $8M player option, or does the team buy him out? At this crossroad, I really believe it may be good for both parties to call it a historic career.
    His paltry player option for next year is $9.5M - it got upped for his 2102 Silver Slugger award.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Even if he's relegated to a platoon role, or part time DH role, or whatever, I think Jeter will be around in 2014 if he wants to be.

Just because he fractured his ankle again doesn't mean he's finished. He was outstanding last year. Even a decline off of that and he's still a decently productive bat, especially against LHP (our team's weakness) and compared to a vast amount of middle infielders in the AL. In 2012, he led all AL shortstops in batting average, OBP, Slugging, and OPS. He was 2nd only to Ian Desmond in MLB SS OPS.

Even with declined defense, his offense was plenty to make him serviceable overall.

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    I don't get this.

They don't actually heal stronger. When all goes well, the bone is fully healed and it's been used over some time, the best-case (and likely) scenario seems to be that it won't be any weaker, but it won't be stronger, either.

In Jeter's case, the fact that he re-broke the healed bone can't be a good sign. I wouldn't be so cavalier in dismissing the possibility of some structural weakness, but it may well be that he/they just rushed the rehab, putting too much weight on it too fast. If nothing else, it suggests that they have to be extremely conservative in the rehab, waiting until they're sure that the entire area is strong enough to take a pounding. He's getting to the age where things don't heal as quickly as they used to, and, unfortunately, he's just the guy who's likely to push it.

Also, bone strength is separate from flexibility and range of motion, which could be affected. I'd think that would show up more at shortstop than at the plate, but once he's ready to come back, he's likely to spend a good long time at short before any idea of moving is brought up.

I know how well he did last year, and it would be nice to think that he's immune to the effects of time. But at his age, with or without injury, there's always a strong possibility of collapse regardless of most recent performance. If he misses most of a season and has an ankle that doesn't move as well as it used to, plus he's already a 39-year-old shortstop - again, it wouldn't shock me if there turned out to be very little left. It also wouldn't shock me if he's able to make it through 2014 just fine, maybe not as a star but as a reasonably productive player. Just no way to know.

http://www.sunstoneonline.com/are-br...fter-they-heal

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...=dmtHMSContent
    - Barry Manilow

They don't actually heal stronger. When all goes well, the bone is fully healed and it's been used over some time, the best-case (and likely) scenario seems to be that it won't be any weaker, but it won't be stronger, either.
    Thanks for those links.

In Jeter's case, the fact that he re-broke the healed bone can't be a good sign.
    But it's not necessarily a bad sign. In fact, it might mean nothing at all, other than the fact that he pushed himself too hard, before that area had fully restrengthened.

It also wouldn't shock me if he's able to make it through 2014 just fine, maybe not as a star but as a reasonably productive player. Just no way to know.
    I'm definitely not suggesting that I know anything more than anyone else about his chances, I just think that he's always been a physically fit guy who works hard, and the bone itself being fractured a 2nd time doesn't worry me as much as the other things you pointed out (weakness in the ankle structure). However, speculation about weakness in the area is just that - speculation. We don't know if there are any such weaknesses that could linger for extended periods of time.

Like you say, though, there's no way to know. I'm inclined to believe that he'll come back strong enough to not be a black hole at SS and/or in the lineup. But of course we can only wait and see.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

In Jeter's case, the fact that he re-broke the healed bone can't be a good sign. I wouldn't be so cavalier in dismissing the possibility of some structural weakness, but it may well be that he/they just rushed the rehab, putting too much weight on it too fast. If nothing else, it suggests that they have to be extremely conservative in the rehab, waiting until they're sure that the entire area is strong enough to take a pounding. He's getting to the age where things don't heal as quickly as they used to, and, unfortunately, he's just the guy who's likely to push it.

Also, bone strength is separate from flexibility and range of motion, which could be affected. I'd think that would show up more at shortstop than at the plate, but once he's ready to come back, he's likely to spend a good long time at short before any idea of moving is brought up.

I know how well he did last year, and it would be nice to think that he's immune to the effects of time. But at his age, with or without injury, there's always a strong possibility of collapse regardless of most recent performance. If he misses most of a season and has an ankle that doesn't move as well as it used to, plus he's already a 39-year-old shortstop - again, it wouldn't shock me if there turned out to be very little left. It also wouldn't shock me if he's able to make it through 2014 just fine, maybe not as a star but as a reasonably productive player. Just no way to know.

http://www.sunstoneonline.com/are-br...fter-they-heal

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...=dmtHMSContent
    Although the bone may have healed sufficiently for Jeter to resume physical activity, it generally takes up to 18 months before a bone fracture is fully healed. A setback, particularly in the case of an athlete who puts unnatural pressures on the bone, is not unexpected.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    sadly, i think jeter will try to play at the end of the season and realize that it's a no go. he will quietly announce his retirement in the off season.
    yes, i'm quoting myself. sadly, jeter has played his last mlb game.
    Kyle

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    yes, i'm quoting myself. sadly, jeter has played his last mlb game.
    While I wouldn't be shocked if he did retire, I am guessing he won't want to go out this way; he'll play in 2014, and unless he's back to being "Jeter," retire at the end of the 2014 season.

Thread Information