+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Re: Will Jeter ever really play again ?

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    Because he's Derek Jeter, I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt about coming back to play this year, at SS. I do have my doubts about him being as productive as he has in the past. He's been called washed up before, although it wasn't due to an ankle injury. I agree with those who say he will not want to run himself out there when he knows he just cannot get the job done anymore.

It's a crying shame - keep your nose clean, run out every ground ball and be one of the most successful athletes in pro sports......and this happens.
    The way he has played his career all out... is lucky to have not missed much before this. I'm just worried about the age/bone factor for him. Want him to heal well.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post

It's a crying shame - keep your nose clean, run out every ground ball and be one of the most successful athletes in pro sports......and this happens.
    I hate that this injury happened to Jeter, but overall he had 17 extremely healthy years. That's far more than most athletes get. Aside from the dislocated shoulder on opening day in 2003, he hadn't ever had a terrible injury until this ankle thing, correct? He had that calf injury in 2011, but that was almost a blessing in disguise because he fixed his swing in Tampa while rehabbing. He went on a tear for the rest of the season once he came back.

Like I said, it sucks that this happened, but he's been an extremely fortunate athlete as far as health is concerned. He made to age 38 with 17 seasons before suffering an injury that legitimately questioned the future of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by crashingDreams View Post
    its ok. i know that watching these 2013 NY yankees after many years of taking success for granted, is a hard pill to swallow. i forgive you, understand your frustration. the dynasty is gone & the last pillars are coming down, along with your pride. you see the future & you will be cheering a terd for the next few years, & you never signed on for that. just take solace in the fact that many people were bandwagon fans, not just you.

Was that english? I can not even figure out the premise or meaning of this post.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Was that english? I can not even figure out the premise or meaning of this post.
    Terd-- I think it means a seagull.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Cy Young

I am beginning to wonder if Texeira will ever come back. Wouldn't it be something if ARod, Tex and Jeter, three quarters of our infield, never return?
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if Texeira will ever come back. Wouldn't it be something if ARod, Tex and Jeter, three quarters of our infield, never return?
    Beginning? This is what I'm expecting, none of them are going to matter this year, or ever again. The era ends with a whimper. I know it's very unsatisfying .... this ain't a movie script.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiKnows View Post
    Beginning? This is what I'm expecting, none of them are going to matter this year, or ever again. The era ends with a whimper. I know it's very unsatisfying .... this ain't a movie script.
    Why can anybody think Tex is done? They've said from the beginning that wrists are inherently tricky to predict, and it's certainly in the realm of possibility that he could miss the year, but I haven't heard that his wrist problem is a career threatening problem...he could have surgery and rejoin them next year.

Quote Originally Posted by YogiKnows View Post
    out of that trio, I see Tex as the only one that honestly matters. Jeter will sadly fade away in to the sunset, A-Roid is signed for several more years and may get a 50 game suspension.

Tex should come back and play great defense and hit for power while batting .220...not exactly worth his salary but he might hit 25 HR in a full season with few errors and drive in some runs...kind of a slightly above average player above replacement for a ton of money.

We need a SS !

Addicted Member

The team is beginning to resemble a waiting room in a rehab center.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    The team is beginning to resemble a waiting room in a rehab center.
    On the radio, the entire second inning is sponsored by a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I wonder if we should change the nightly in-game injury reports to talk about who IS NOT injured, would save time over going through those who ARE injured..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post
    I hate that this injury happened to Jeter, but overall he had 17 extremely healthy years. That's far more than most athletes get. Aside from the dislocated shoulder on opening day in 2003, he hadn't ever had a terrible injury until this ankle thing, correct? He had that calf injury in 2011, but that was almost a blessing in disguise because he fixed his swing in Tampa while rehabbing. He went on a tear for the rest of the season once he came back.

Like I said, it sucks that this happened, but he's been an extremely fortunate athlete as far as health is concerned. He made to age 38 with 17 seasons before suffering an injury that legitimately questioned the future of his career.
    I doubt his career is over, but the possibility exists.

if so, Jeter will have gone out on top the way very few have. In his final year, he would have led the league in hits and been not too much below his career averages across the board.

He'd be there with Koufax, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and, hopefully Rivera as guys who never saw a sigifnificant dip.

Of course, those others retired on their own and if Jeter's injury forces the issue there's a different feel to it, but still would be a silver lining....

sadly, i think jeter will try to play at the end of the season and realize that it's a no go. he will quietly announce his retirement in the off season.
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    And they do the whole game from the Hurts 24/7 broadcast booth.

Quote Originally Posted by KLJ View Post
    sadly, i think jeter will try to play at the end of the season and realize that it's a no go. he will quietly announce his retirement in the off season.
    maybe but I think he takes his player option for 2014 and tries again next year unless he breaks it again.

There is a reason why very few non-pitchers can play past 40 and a lot of those are the DH types with HR power.

age catches up to everyone

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And they do the whole game from the Hurts 24/7 broadcast booth.
    Nice one.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    maybe but I think he takes his player option for 2014 and tries again next year unless he breaks it again.

There is a reason why very few non-pitchers can play past 40 and a lot of those are the DH types with HR power.

age catches up to everyone
    Jeter is my favorite Yankee so I hope the earlier post on his retirement happens. You hate a decline with your hero. I don't want an extension and he is not going to make the 4,000 club without it (3,300 hits). I think the player option is only 8M with incentives so I hope he retires (making 17M this year). We need a better replacemnet than Nunez for now.

NYYF Cy Young

I don't envision his hitting suffering quite as much as his motion in the field. I think he could still stick around and hit .280 or so for 3 more years, but where the hell is he going to play? You can't have a singles hitting DH, our 1B is taken, and I honestly think he will become a liability/injury risk at literally any other position. This will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaYankFan View Post

nice post.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Why can anybody think Tex is done? They've said from the beginning that wrists are inherently tricky to predict, and it's certainly in the realm of possibility that he could miss the year, but I haven't heard that his wrist problem is a career threatening problem...he could have surgery and rejoin them next year.
    Wrists are extremely tricky things, just ask Nomar. Was never the same after sustaining what really turned out to be a chronic injury. Maybe if Tex was 28 instead of 33 you could have a little more faith, but as it stands...who knows.

I'm a realist, and until I'm shown otherwise I will conclude that the productive portions of DJ and ARod's careers are over...and I honestly wouldn't be terribly surprised if either of them never play again. I'm not going to come out and here and say "...he's DEREK JETER...of COURSE he'll be back!" Father time is undefeated, and a whole lot of guys go out as a result of injuries they can't recover all the way from. Also, let's cease and desist with comparing DJ's situation to Mo's. Mo is a pitcher, a closer. He's not a position player. It's an entirely different animal.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by crashingDreams View Post
    stick a fork in derek jeter.

he will never be back in a form acceptable to him, & will swallow the bitter pill & mail it in. he got too much pride to lay eggs out there just to go on a final season tour.

I am jeters age & believe me, 39 sucks. arthritis starts to set in. knees & joints ache from out of nowhere. I mean, look at pettitte. just 2 starts in & they are pushing him down the schedule for back spasms.

he might stick around to sign 2001 teenbeat magazines, but thats about it.
    Stick a fork in Jeter? Really? Look at your situation. You're only 39 and have arthritis and knee and joint aches? I think you need to fork yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Stick a fork in Jeter? Really? Look at your situation. You're only 39 and have arthritis and knee and joint aches? I think you need to fork yourself.
    Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I don't envision his hitting suffering quite as much as his motion in the field. I think he could still stick around and hit .280 or so for 3 more years, but where the hell is he going to play? You can't have a singles hitting DH, our 1B is taken, and I honestly think he will become a liability/injury risk at literally any other position. This will be interesting...
    Yes, 1st base would seem to be the best place to stick him if possible. I'll be shocked if he can comeback at SS and not get hurt again in a short period of time. However 1st base is kind of full with Youk/Overbay/ Tex already there and there is never a shortage of guys to play DH on this team.

It's almost like Jeter needs to leave the NYY to play next year if that is his intention. That seems unthinkable. He has to reinvent himself somehow to continue much longer.

The state whose symbol is...a pile of rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Yes, 1st base would seem to be the best place to stick him if possible. I'll be shocked if he can comeback at SS and not get hurt again in a short period of time. However 1st base is kind of full with Youk/Overbay/ Tex already there and there is never a shortage of guys to play DH on this team.

It's almost like Jeter needs to leave the NYY to play next year if that is his intention. That seems unthinkable. He has to reinvent himself somehow to continue much longer.
    It's amazing how fast this situation can 'cure itself'. 1. Youk is already showing the back spasms that made him useless the 2nd half of last year, besides when healthy he's been just fine at 3rd. 2. Tex comes back, his wrist isn't right and stays chronically bad and he's ineffective. 3. Overbay isn't even worth commenting on.

Now your problem is convincing Derek to move. My concern is Derek won't even be able to run the bases without re-injuring the ankle.

Thread Information