+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Will Jeter ever really play again ?

One will have to drag Derek out out of baseball. He must be going through hell. He lives for baseball and most likely put his personal relationships on hold so that they wouldn't interfere.
    Think back to his pursuit of 3000 hits and the pressure, I think that he knew that a serious injury could stop his pursuit at anytime. Good luck Derek, I full expect you to play shortstop in this year's fall classic.

NYYF Legend

What a stupid question. Of course Jeter will play again. He might not be an everyday SS but I'm sure he will get his AB's. And once his ankle is 100% healed what's to stop Jeter from getting 175-200 hits next season?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Interesting stuff....I wonder whatever became of Gary Green of the Reds.

3,000+ career hits with an "ok" approach to hitting. Imagine if he had a good one.

It's a shame we've gone from "Will Jeter reach 4,000?" and "Can he catch Cobb?" to "Will Jeter ever really play again?"
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=greenga01

Funny that the scouting report for Jeter is from the Colorado Rockies in 1992- a year before they officially came into existence.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Ah, the 5th annual "Jeter is Toast" thread
    Yes, because this is just like the prior threads.....except he broke his ankle last year, and is still not close to being back. (minor difference)
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=greenga01

Funny that the scouting report for Jeter is from the Colorado Rockies in 1992- a year before they officially came into existence.

Technically, the Rockies came into existence on July 5, 1991.

And, there were a lot of things going on in 1992 for the Colorado Rockies...

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/.../timeline2.jsp

February 14 - KOA Radio (850 AM) signs a five-year agreement to become the team's flagship station.
    March 2 - Ownership chooses Tucson, Ariz., as the Rockies spring training home. The agreement between the Rockies and the Pima County Sports Authority calls for the club to play its spring training games at Hi Corbett Field, the former Cactus League home of the Cleveland Indians.
    March 19 - The club announces its 1993 ticket prices, seating locations, and season-ticket packages. The Colorado Rockies Foundation commits to providing at least 150,000 tickets in '93 to the less fortunate.
    April 16 - KWGN-TV (Channel 2) in Denver signs a five-year agreement to become the Rockies' exclusive over-the-air television broadcaster.
    June 1 - John Burke, a pitcher from the University of Florida and a native of Englewood, Colo., is selected by the Rockies in the first round of the MLB June Draft, the club's first-ever draft selection. The 6-4, 220-pound righthander, the 27th player selected overall in the draft, signs a contract with the Rockies.
    June 6 - The Rockies conduct a tryout camp at the University of Denver baseball field.
    June 16 - Bend, Ore., hosts the first game in organization history, a Single-A Northwest League contest between the Bend Rockies and Boise Hawks. With the Rockies trailing 4-1 in the bottom of the eighth, catcher Will Scalzitti hits a grand slam to give his club a dramatic 6-4 win.
    July 4 - The Rockies unveil their traditional 1993 uniforms (home, away, and Sunday alternate) at a Team USA-Team Cuba baseball game at Mile High Stadium before 61,165 fans. Included on the home uniform is purple pinstripes, making the Rockies the first team in Major League history to feature purple stripes. The club's road uniform is gray and the alternate is black. Also, the team improves its logo.
    September 2 - Jerry McMorris, Oren Benton and Charles Monfort acquire all of the interests previously owned by non-Coloradoans. The local trio assumes control of the team. October 16 - Club officials, civic leaders and other dignitaries break ground on the future site of Coors Field.
    October 27 - The Rockies name Don Baylor their first manager.
    November 9 - The Colorado Baseball Partnership completes its acquisition of the franchise by paying the $95 million franchise fee. Shortly thereafter, the Rockies acquire pitcher Travis Buckley from the Montreal Expos in exchange for a player-to-be-named (Matt Connolly) in the club's first trade.
    November 16 - The club signs free-agent first baseman Andres Galarraga. November 17 - The Rockies select David Nied from the Atlanta Braves to open the MLB Expansion Draft in New York City. At the same time, more than 20,000 fans fill Denver's Currigan Hall to watch the historic event. After the draft, Colorado trades Kevin Reimer and Jody Reed for Dante Bichette and Rudy Seanez, respectively.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I'm sure that if NYYFans had been around in 1951, there would have been several threads about how that kid in Center Field was done....toast....after blowing out his knee in the Series. Mickey Something-or-another. I wonder whatever happened to that kid?

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    I'm sure that if NYYFans had been around in 1951, there would have been several threads about how that kid in Center Field was done....toast....after blowing out his knee in the Series. Mickey Something-or-another. I wonder whatever happened to that kid?
    Actually he played right field his rookie year because Joe was still in center...but you're right, that kid ain't going nowhere.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Possibly, but don't you think concern about a soon to be 39 year old SS who already had diminished range before he broke his ankle is justified?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Honestly, I am torn about this question. There are innumerable questions to be answered regarding the situation.

Will Jeter recognize that the end is near and decide that this year is an appropriate year to end his career, going out the door with Mariano Rivera, so that the two of them can be in the same class elected to the BWAAHOF?

Is Jeter too proud to have his exit from the game determined by an injury, particularly if this setback keeps him out all season?

Jeter has ALWAYS been a team player - will this injury and its resultant limitations finally lead him to the conclusion that the team would be best served by a position change?

It will be extremely interesting to see how these events all play out.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Jeter is going to rehab strong and come back fine late July

NYYF Legend

This extended rest is gonna do him good. He'll come back extra fresh.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I still feel the ankle when the weather is about to change (like today).
    Jeter will be back at a new position: Official Team Weather Forecaster!

No more sitting around waiting for the picture on the radar map to clarify. If Jeter's ankle says rain, postpone it. If it doesn't, play.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    This extended rest is gonna do him good. He'll come back extra fresh.
    Mentally and physically, yes. However I have to wonder if his ankle is permanently weak and will crack again if he tries to play short, and not because of the bone itself but because he'll favor it and as a result step awkwardly moving left and right to field balls.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Mentally and physically, yes. However I have to wonder if his ankle is permanently weak and will crack again if he tries to play short, and not because of the bone itself but because he'll favor it and as a result step awkwardly moving left and right to field balls.
    He's going to start moving left to field balls?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

I'm going with blind faith and the fact that it is Derek Jeter we are talking about.

However, hardly can blame anyone for their concern.

I broke my left ankle about 10 years at about age 39, never been the same since. If a big dog was chasing me, I wouldn't be able to run for shvt.

Jeter won't last long after a return until he reinjures it (IMO). He would also have no range whatsoever.

I think he might be able to play first base since he is like 6' 4" ....but that position is taken. DH is of course a possibility....but we have a lot of guys for that spot once the injured come back.

What a drag it is getting old.....

Addicted Member

IMO he has this year and at least one more year at short, and I would thnk at least a year as part time position/dh..it will be interesting to see if he announces a "fair well tour" as mo did. First lets hope he has the opportunity to.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

I think he will most likely take his 2014 option and make that his farewell tour....unless something bad happens in 2013 if/when he returns. I really can't see a place for him after 2014....unless 2014 is like 2012 in production.

NYYF Legend

Miss my Ryan, Kristin and Steve. Miss seeing my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    He's one of my favorite players, but I think he is about done

He won't be able to play SS and doesn't seem to fit well anywhere else...like 1B or LF or DH. I see him maybe getting a few more courtesy at bats ( if possible) as a tribute....

but stick the tines in him, Great career for #2, but time to retire !

I sure hope he will play on! Hope he has enough at-bats to close-in on Yaz in hits to finish the year. Would then be cool for Yankee fans to see him then pass Yastrzemski's career hit total in a game played in Boston next season. Jeter deserves to be the all-time American League career hit leader -- I'm talking about the career record for hits by a guy playing his whole career with just one club.

Hope he still has enough in the tank to then pass Musial in later days ahead -- for the All-Time career hit leader for a guy playing with a single club in a career.

Jeter has been amazing. Needs 116 hits to pass Yaz -- 327 hits to pass Stan the Man.
    Just a Sox Fan with a Yankee Wife in tow... and with one little Red Sox fan now welcoming her new baby Yankee fan sister into "our" Yankees/Red Sox World.

Daddy Loves His Baby Angels

Addicted Member

I don't think it would be difficult for him to adapt to a corner outfield spot, 3B, and 1B. He's a great athlete and even if his mobility is diminished, he'd still be adequate in those slots. His instincts might be a little off at first but we're not talking about a guy with even average game sense. Let's say he takes on a back up SS role, he could still find 130+ games:

SS: 30
    DH: 50
    1B: 20
    3B: 15
    LF: 15

Shortstop is the hardest position to field in the infield (probably second behind CF, disregarding catcher). He has the arm strength to play anywhere and a solid glove. Even if he can't move as well, he'll find his games and ABs. Maybe just not all the time at SS. I don't think the ankle will keep him down. Look how often we play Jayson Nix, he can easily fill that role plus more.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by DaBliz View Post
    I don't think it would be difficult for him to adapt to a corner outfield spot, 3B, and 1B. He's a great athlete and even if his mobility is diminished, he'd still be adequate in those slots. His instincts might be a little off at first but we're not talking about a guy with even average game sense. Let's say he takes on a back up SS role, he could still find 130+ games:

SS: 30
    DH: 50
    1B: 20
    3B: 15
    LF: 15

Shortstop is the hardest position to field in the infield (probably second behind CF, disregarding catcher). He has the arm strength to play anywhere and a solid glove. Even if he can't move as well, he'll find his games and ABs. Maybe just not all the time at SS. I don't think the ankle will keep him down. Look how often we play Jayson Nix, he can easily fill that role plus more.
    Essentially, you are suggesting that Jeter become a utility player, albeit an everyday utility player.

I can't see that happening - IF Jeter accepts a position change (a big if, given his ego with regards to being a SS), then I believe he would want to change position permanently and work his backside off to be the best he can be at that position.

For many years, it has been suggested that the logical move is to a corner OF spot - perhaps he will consider that now.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I broke my left ankle about 10 years at about age 39, never been the same since. If a big dog was chasing me, I wouldn't be able to run for shvt.

Jeter won't last long after a return until he reinjures it (IMO). He would also have no range whatsoever.

I think he might be able to play first base since he is like 6' 4" ....but that position is taken. DH is of course a possibility....but we have a lot of guys for that spot once the injured come back.

What a drag it is getting old.....
    Very good post. Like the Stones reference at the end.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    He's going to start moving left to field balls?

You were already warned in the Margaret Thacher thread, werent you?

NYYF MVP

Wouldn't put anything past Jeter.

Not predicitng he'll win the batting title, but have learned to never underestimate, especially when it comes to someone defying Odds...
    Odds were created to be beaten

With that said, oh yeah, definately worried, but wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up exceeding expectations.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Very good post. Like the Stones reference at the end.
    Me too.

Thread Information