+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Will Jeter ever really play again ?

He's one of my favorite players, but I think he is about done

He won't be able to play SS and doesn't seem to fit well anywhere else...like 1B or LF or DH. I see him maybe getting a few more courtesy at bats ( if possible) as a tribute....

but stick the tines in him, Great career for #2, but time to retire !

NYYF Legend

Re: Will Jeter ever really play again ?

Yes.

Sometime after this awful losing streak ends.

What? No. I doubt he'll be the everyday SS but he's definitely getting at bats. He just came off a 216 hit season. Why would he be done?
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Well he couldn't rehab the ankle from last October, and teased us with Opening day, then May 1st, now after the break means never ( IMO).

Can he use a Segway to field ?

He was never Ozzie defensively, now he is too injured to ever play SS again. He re-injuries himself in some light workouts or whatever, dude is done as a SS.

NYYF Legend

This is what I have come to expect here, more negativity.

A broken ankle heals slowly. Now that they know that he has another small fracture I would imagine they will review all xrays of the ankle from the time of the original injury to see is this newest fracture was there from the beginning amd never fully healed.

Nevertheless I will not count him out till he announces his retirement.
    I refuse to go around in life with a black cloud over my sholdier.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

He will be back, at SS, we just don't know when. At least now we know why he hasn't been able to play as expected.

They will have to cut that uniform off him. He's not about to hang up his spikes yet.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

I'm afraid it's over as we basically know it. I don't think he'll ever play SS on a regular basis again. I see him as a part time player/ DH. That's fine though, I would like to see him in pinstripes for another full season so we all can appreciate a farewell tour like the one we're seeing with Mo this year. With all that being said, given his track record, it wouldn't surprise me to see him prove me entirely wrong and bounce back with another All Star, 200 hit season or two either.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Jeters scouting report from highschool.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

worth noting he has a option for 2014
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Mo didn't quit last year. I find it hard to believe that Jeter will quit this year. (Apart from anything else, it would look bad by comparison!) And I'm not sure I want him to, even as a player who's never been my favorite Yankee.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Bootleg Disney Eeyore.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Bootleg Disney Eeyore.

Thanks for posting the REAL Eeyore.

He'll be back soon enough. Jeter wouldn't go out like this.

If anything, I wouldn't be the most bit surprised if he pulled a Mo and said next season, or two at the most, is his last.

NYYF Legend

I expect to see Derek again, and at SS. He has been losing range, perhaps loses another half step, but he will be serviceable there. I imagine a steady diet of DH.

What I am concerned about is timing of return with his age. I worry about a Kendrys Morales situation, where he does not come back until next spring, which would be awful.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Yankee Fan View Post
    He'll be back soon enough. Jeter wouldn't go out like this.

If anything, I wouldn't be the most bit surprised if he pulled a Mo and said next season, or two at the most, is his last.
    I really can't imagine Jeter playing beyond 2014. He isn't really a DH type since he doesn't have the HR/ RBI potential of a true DH. There is nowhere on the field for an old guy with limited range and his baserunning abilities have to be in decline as well.

If he wants to continue beyond 2014 he will have to buy a team and be a player/manager/ owner. maybe Houston ?

Ah, the 5th annual "Jeter is Toast" thread
    “Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier, the cigars taste better. The trees are greener.”—Billy Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I really can't imagine Jeter playing beyond 2014. He isn't really a DH type since he doesn't have the HR/ RBI potential of a true DH. There is nowhere on the field for an old guy with limited range and his baserunning abilities have to be in decline as well.

If he wants to continue beyond 2014 he will have to buy a team and be a player/manager/ owner. maybe Houston ?
    Actually, I think the evolution of the DH role might actually help keep jeter in the game a little longer than it would have ten or more years ago. He might actually be a fairly useful player past 2014 if he can play 30 to 40 games at SS and 50 games at DH and then be available to PH against left handers in the other games. And who knows, he might be able to learn to play first base in a pinch.

Now, whether he would accept being a role player like that, and whether Tex really needs signficant time off going forward, remains to be seen, but i don't think the DH role is thought of any longer as needing a David Ortiz type (unless you have a David Ortiz type).

Also, there is speculation that the NL might adopt the DH in 2015. If that's the case, it really opens up the opportunities for Jeter in my view.

I think the larger issue (and to some degree might be part of what youare saying) is that a considerable part of Jeter's value has been his endurance and day to day consistency.

But it's a pretty big issue for an opposing manager who would like to bring in a left hander in a big spot in the 7th innig or something when he knows jeter is available...

NYYF Cy Young

He'll play, but I think the real question is will he play well?
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post

Jeters scouting report from highschool.
    Interesting stuff....I wonder whatever became of Gary Green of the Reds.

3,000+ career hits with an "ok" approach to hitting. Imagine if he had a good one.

It's a shame we've gone from "Will Jeter reach 4,000?" and "Can he catch Cobb?" to "Will Jeter ever really play again?"
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

I have serious doubts that he'll ever be back at short. His bat is potentially still very valuable and it's not worth risking just to have him play in the field. That being said it creates a logjam at DH. If he can still produce well he'll play almost every day at DH, and when A-Rod returns along with Granderson and Tex Girardi won't know what to do with Youk and Haffner. Maybe a trade if there's any SS out there available and worth trading for.
    Let the kids play.

Released Outright

Hopefully not.

NYYF Cy Young

Questionable how good he can be as a DH if he can't run. He has had occasional power through the years, but it has declined. 2011 wasn't pretty for Jorge Posada. Love both these guys but aging is very cruel to major leaguers. We'll see. Maybe he can manage in the minors.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

I broke my ankle (with no surgery required) when I was 24. I was an very active tennis and squash player at that time. I broke the ankle in September and the following summer I was pretty much limited to mixed doubles and gentle rallies in singles, no singles games (POOC ready). I was always amazed at the idea Jete could play full bore on Opening Day, especially since he required the surgical repair and is not 24 as I was.

The good news was I was back to normal form the following summer. I think they should just shut him down and see what happens next year.

I still feel the ankle when the weather is about to change (like today).
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I think Jetes should rehab this full year and come back strong next year.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

Thread Information