+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    You don't have to convince me that a baseball manager is the single least significant position in the 4 major professional sports. When a team underachieves three years in a row, it's hard to justify giving him a raise and another 4 years on top of it.
    Here is your corrected statement. Now, it demonstrates how contradictory it is.
    Last edited by RogerNatural; 10-09-13 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

when you have a 200 million roster, an additional 5m to make the 200m perform is not that bad. but when you look at the team's other staff with the same logic, lel
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Needed from Joe going forward.

1) Don't look in that binder everytime. Use your guts once in a while.

2) Play the kids.
    The Yankees have kids?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    Here is your corrected statement. Now, it demonstrates how contradictory it is.
    Least significant doesn't mean non important. And I can't justify giving a manager who's team has underachieved three years in a row a raise and another 4 years on top of it. I would have accepted a one year deal with a club option for a second. Girardi's new contract only puts further emphasises and focus on the fact that Cashman will most likely be extended by this time next year as well.

Joe Torre was in the world series in 2003 and gone 5 years later. The Yankees wanted him to take a pay cut the next year probably because they wanted to fire him without actually having to fire him. Joe T's Yankees won the division three of five seasons.

Just to correct you, the Yankees lost the division to Tampa in 2010 (Girardi had a lot to do with that). The two teams they beat in the playoffs since 2010 were Minnesota, who hasn't won a post season game since October 5th, 2004 and the Baltimore Orioles, who hadn't played post season baseball since 1997.

The Yankees didn't spend millions upon millions to build a championship calibre roster for 2009 so they could win once, but so they could win multiple pennants/Championships.

I was alright giving Joe a one year extension with a club option for a second at the same pay scale, but not a raise and another 4 years guaranteed.
    The thing you claim to be correcting is included in an edit that you quoted in your post, so you're not really correcting anything.

Joe Torre was bad at managing baseball games. His specialty was blowing out the arms of relievers. He just happened to have some of the best rosters of the last 20+ years and, as a result, won a lot. If you think the roster's Girardi has had are as good as the ones Torre had, I don't know what to tell you. Girardi is a much better manager than Torre.

Least significant doesn't mean non important. And I can't justify giving a manager who's team has underachieved three years in a row a raise and another 4 years on top of it. I would have accepted a one year deal with a club option for a second. Girardi's new contract only puts further emphasises and focus on the fact that Cashman will most likely be extended by this time next year as well.
    You just figuring that out? I think many of us have realized that despite our concerns, Cashman is going to get the opportunity to rebuild this ball club back into a WS contender.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The Yankees have kids?
    Yeah. How many games did Chris Stewart start?
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

. I hope that contract isn't fully guaranteed.
    It is 100% guaranteed.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

So he's going to be the second highest paid manager in baseball because he had the privilege of managing a triple-A team for 4 months of the season? We'll excuse the fact that his team has underperformed three straight post seasons in a row (last year in epic fashion) or when injured players did come back healthy and trade/acquisitions were made/acquired for the stretch drive, the team went just 29-26 over the final two months. I hope that contract isn't fully guaranteed.
    There are contracts in MLB that are not fully guaranteed? News to me.

Addicted Member

Glad Girardi is coming back and hope he makes as much as he can get! I'll bet
    he already made the decision, just wanted to make the greatest sports
    club in the world wait on him!!

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    The thing you claim to be correcting is included in an edit that you quoted in your post, so you're not really correcting anything.

Joe Torre was bad at managing baseball games. His specialty was blowing out the arms of relievers. He just happened to have some of the best rosters of the last 20+ years and, as a result, won a lot. If you think the roster's Girardi has had are as good as the ones Torre had, I don't know what to tell you. Girardi is a much better manager than Torre.
    David Wells, is that you? And what are you suppose to do with talent? WIN.... 4 rings, 5 pennants, 10 division titles and 12/12 post season playoff berths. He was weak at bullpen management because he had a tendency to overuse the same pitchers whom he placed great trust in. Girardi is not without fault though. From Torre's overuse of the bullpen to Girardi's inexplicable addiction to over manage and mismanage. It's all relative.

Girardi's overuse of Gaudin and Mitre in high leverage situations down the stretch cost the Yankees the division in 2010.

Forget many of the 2011regular season gasser's Girardi was involved in, pitching an ineffective CC in the 5th inning of game 5 of the ALCS, Chavez pinch hitting for Gardner, and leaving Martin up in a key situation late in the game with Montero sitting on the bench were all head scratching.

He follows the unwritten rule of Lefty/Righty and Righty/Lefty pitcher verses batter match ups to a fault. Joe has no "feel" for the game. It's all about statistics and numbers. Doesn't he realize that the downfall of playing for the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings is that you first have to play innings 1-6?

I won't waste my time posting all of Girardi's regular season clunkers, but I'm pretty sure you can find them plastered all over the internet if you need reminders.

Both Joe's have/had their faults. At this point, I'm not willing to put one Joe ahead of the other just because one had more talent to work with.

Edit: But I suppose I have 4 years to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    There are contracts in MLB that are not fully guaranteed? News to me.
    That was a joke False! I thought you knew me better than that.

glad to have him back

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

This year's team actually overachieved, considering all the injuries and the crummy roster that Cashman cobbled together.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post

You could not be more correct. And, as much as I've criticized Girardi, I've accepted his plusses outweigh his minuses.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Legend

I am happy that Girardi will be back managing the Yanks but I think he will have a tremendous task in getting this team back in the playoffs. Unless, Cashman and the owners know something that the rest of the baseball world don't know, I don't see how they are going to compete next year. I wonder what their organization meetings must be like? Where do you start? Farm system, aging stars, payroll, signing free agents......what comes first?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I am happy that Girardi will be back managing the Yanks but I think he will have a tremendous task in getting this team back in the playoffs. Unless, Cashman and the owners know something that the rest of the baseball world don't know, I don't see how they are going to compete next year. I wonder what their organization meetings must be like? Where do you start? Farm system, aging stars, payroll, signing free agents......what comes first?
    We'll see how the offseason plays out, but I think as Yankee fans we've lost a bit of perspective around the word "compete". After this crazy 20 year run, we were able to write them into the playoffs in April in ink each season. Just because we can't even write that same prediction in pencil in November this year doesn't mean it takes a wild stretch of the imagination that they'll have a competitive team next season.

They were competitive last year, in spite of EVERYTHING breaking wrong and everything going right for Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    We'll see how the offseason plays out, but I think as Yankee fans we've lost a bit of perspective around the word "compete". After this crazy 20 year run, we were able to write them into the playoffs in April in ink each season. Just because we can't even write that same prediction in pencil in November this year doesn't mean it takes a wild stretch of the imagination that they'll have a competitive team next season.

They were competitive last year, in spite of EVERYTHING breaking wrong and everything going right for Boston.

Great point

With one less injury- say to Granderson or Teixeira there's a chance they make the playoffs ( to be eliminated first round, but still ) . That's amazing when you think about all that went wrong- especially CC sucking- totally unexpected.

That's why Girardi deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team focused
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Addicted Member

Girardi placed 4th in the 2013 AL MOY voting finishing behind Francona, Farrell and Melvin. He did a great job considering what he didn't have to work with all season long.

NYYF Legend

In case the managing thing doesn't work out ...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...98291175032338

Meet Joe Girardi, app developer.

Girardi is the idea man behind a new mobile app scheduled to launch in the first quarter of 2014, a game that he designed in conjunction with app developer Appetizer Mobile.

"It's a different side of me, because I think people are always used to seeing me at the ballpark, and not having this type of creativity," Girardi said. "It's not something that I do a lot of, but when I do put my heart and soul into something, it's important to me."

This is not some branded application that added Girardi's name at the last minute to lend some baseball street cred. To the contrary: Girardi decided one day that he wanted to build an app, and has spent the past year making it happen, hoping to build a game that parents and children could play together.

"I see my children on apps, and ordering apps, on many occasions," Girardi said. "And I just thought it would be kind of fun to create an app that I felt was appropriate for them. I think that's what you worry about all the time, for me, as a parent with kids."
    (Thanks to LoHud, which linked to the article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/11/1...ted-be-posted/)

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    In case the managing thing doesn't work out ...

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...98291175032338

(Thanks to LoHud, which linked to the article: http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2013/11/1...ted-be-posted/)
    It's called "Appie."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Maybe a little less App developing and a little more managing the team you're paid millions to manage and the Yankees might not have been playing golf in October.

Sickening.
    Pardon, for us.

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Maybe a little less App developing and a little more managing the team you're paid millions to manage and the Yankees might not have been playing golf in October.

Sickening.
    Please tell me you're kidding, otherwise that's one of the most ridiculous and irresponsible comments I've ever seen on these boards...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Please tell me you're kidding, otherwise that's one of the most ridiculous and irresponsible comments I've ever seen on these boards...
    I think you've got Zimmer's Helmet on too tight.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

So, Joe's Binder will be replaced by a tablet and the MyBinder app.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information