+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

Girardi is an excellent manager, both in-game and in his handling of the media. I hope he is back.

As far as Mattingly is concerned, I think he would be a downgrade from Girardi and would also probably not to leave what is currently a better situation in Los Angeles to come back to New York.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Cash already said that if Girardi comes back the entire coaching staff does too. That means more guys out at home by 20 feet and more of Longball Long.
    And probably another season out of the playoffs or out in the first round. So glad that a team that has only made it to the WS once in 10 years has A GM, Manager, Coaching staff and player development department that all seem to have lifetime contracts.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    And probably another season out of the playoffs or out in the first round. So glad that a team that has only made it to the WS once in 10 years has A GM, Manager, Coaching staff and player development department that all seem to have lifetime contracts.
    While we do know that the Yankees will not be going to the WS this year, we don't know who will...

So, in the last 10 World Series that have been played the Yanks were there twice (not my main point here). In those 10 Series, there were 12 teams that made it to the dance. What that means is that 18 teams have not had an appearance in the last 10 WS. Actually winning one is a good thing.

Go Yanks.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Cy Young

Why guarantee Robby Thompson and Kevin Long job security they don't deserve?
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF MVP

Why not give Gary Denbo another shot? Judging by Derek's "miracle" transformation in '11, Denbo's apparently honed his instructional skills (or something) since his previous ML tenures with NYY & Toronto.
    If he can get a veteran like Jeter to listen, who knows what he could do for the other hitters!
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ankees-manager

With the assurance from Joe Girardi that he would like to return as New York Yankees manager, general manager Brian Cashman plans on offering him a raise when the time comes to negotiate with Girardi's agent over lunch Wednesday.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    In your opinion which doesn't count in making that decision.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Legend

Not that this is at all surprising. I think we all knew this when they fired Sveum.
    Per Buster Olney:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...bs-sources-say
    Brian Cashman's meeting with Joe Girardi's agent Wednesday comes at a time when the Chicago Cubs have serious interest in hiring the New York Yankees' manager, sources told ESPN.

Chicago fired Dale Sveum on Monday, and sources say that Cubs ownership views Girardi as someone who can help put a jolt into fan interest in the team.

The Cubs' attendance has declined in each of the past five seasons, at a time when the organization is trying to rebuild and probably is at least two or three years away from contending again. Hiring Girardi in anticipation of increased fan interest could be more financially efficient for the Cubs than pursuing big-money free-agent players.

The Cubs' baseball operations department has only begun its search for the next manager and isn't locked into Girardi -- or anyone else -- as its primary option.

But sources say that Cubs ownership wants Girardi, is making a strong internal argument to hire him and intends to make him a serious contract offer, if given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Messerwhitescooter View Post
    Must be that Girardi likes his entire staff and his reward for staying on with the Yanks is to keep all of them. I can plug my nose and deal with Thompson, but Long's influence on the players to pull everything has cost too many batting average points. That approach somewhat works when the table setters are getting on base at a .400 clip, but they have nothing resembling that anymore.
    Let the kids play.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Must be that Girardi likes his entire staff and his reward for staying on with the Yanks is to keep all of them. I can plug my nose and deal with Thompson, but Long's influence on the players to pull everything has cost too many batting average points. That approach somewhat works when the table setters are getting on base at a .400 clip, but they have nothing resembling that anymore.
    There is nothing greater than a Yankee Player hitting a ball the other way to beat the shift. Cano's bunt Double was my favorite play of the year. If only they would have made more attempts.
    Complaining is a choice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    There is nothing greater than a Yankee Player hitting a ball the other way to beat the shift. Cano's bunt Double was my favorite play of the year. If only they would have made more attempts.

I would not expect that to happen again anytime soon. But it did happen once. Which is one more time than we have seen a squeeze play attempted in the 6 years that Joe has been the manager.

I would not expect that to happen again anytime soon. But it did happen once. Which is one more time than we have seen a squeeze play attempted in the 6 years that Joe has been the manager.
    Would you be happy with any manager during a 162 game schedule?
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

Girardi isn't going anywhere but he has all the leverage in the world to squeeze the Yanks for extra years/money

He's the biggest FA manager out there and the Cubs have targeted him and he could also threaten to bolt for The Nats. That's a team that could win a World Series next year and he could say that he wants to win next year since the Yanks won't. That'll get them to pony up more cash.

Giardi is staying. Probably gets 4 years.
    “He's a clown. Guy says he's from the 209, what the ................ is that?

-CC Sabathia on Dallas Braden

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Not that this is at all surprising. I think we all knew this when they fired Sveum.
    Per Buster Olney:
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...bs-sources-say
    Girardi putting a jolt into fan interest? What a joke. An ok manager with a crap team does not change anything.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Would you be happy with any manager during a 162 game schedule?

Yes, I was okay with Joe Torre for most of his tenure as Yankees manager. Although by 2006 I thought it was time for a change.

Maybe I could accept Girardi if he was not so predictable. People on this site joke about his "binder" all the time. He rarely does anything against the grain. Think the other teams do not know that? I do not say the Yankees should try a squeeze play all the time but if you try it sometimes other teams have to think about it and defend against it. Same with the shifts. If Yankees players occasionally tried to hit the other way teams would have to move their fielders closer to 3B.
    Last edited by ymike673; 10-03-13 at 08:33 PM.

NYYF MVP

Joe can't leave! There is a very popular promotional day named after him:

In 2012, on Sunday, September 2 vs. Orioles, 1:05 p.m., there was Student Binder Day presented by Turkey Hill, first 18,000 guests 14 and younger

And again in 2013, AUG 31 was Yankee Binder Day!

All kidding aside, I like Joe and only wanted to slap him upside his head when he'd bring Joba in. Probably would have been better off letting a position player pitch.

He has said Chicago isn't so important anymore since his parents have passed away and he (IMO) does not seem like the type who would haggle and "play" the Yankees for more dough than the raise which it seems they are ready to offer. I think (and hope) he stays.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

121st Street & a On The End Ave.

I hope he gets a nice contract with more than 3-4 years. Deserves it. Decision will either come tomorrow or early next week

Yes, I was okay with Joe Torre for most of his tenure as Yankees manager. Although by 2006 I thought it was time for a change.

Maybe I could accept Girardi if he was not so predictable. People on this site joke about his "binder" all the time. He rarely does anything against the grain. Think the other teams do not know that? I do not say the Yankees should try a squeeze play all the time but if you try it sometimes other teams have to think about it and defend against it. Same with the shifts. If Yankees players occasionally tried to hit the other way teams would have to move their fielders closer to 3B.
    You think Girardi is too predictable, yet were OK with Torre???

IN the one area where a manager can make a difference- bullpen management- Girardi is much better than Torre's rote management style that led to relievers being burned out
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    No doubt a top 10 highlight. Too bad that didn't happen vs. Tampa though..I really want to stick that shift to Madden more than anyone.
    Let the kids play.

I've been fairly indifferent about whether or not Joe comes back... until reading that his entire staff gets rehired with him.

Once again, the Yankees show that they are not prepared to hold people accountable for negative performance. Thompson and Long should be given the axe as soon as possible.

However, let me add that none of these staff members deserve to be fired more than Oppenheimer and Co. The biggest failures in recent Yankee history.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    I've been fairly indifferent about whether or not Joe comes back... until reading that his entire staff gets rehired with him.

Once again, the Yankees show that they are not prepared to hold people accountable for negative performance. Thompson and Long should be given the axe as soon as possible.

However, let me add that none of these staff members deserve to be fired more than Oppenheimer and Co. The biggest failures in recent Yankee history.
    Totally agree. The Yankees are in the shape they are in mostly because of Oppenheimer and co. Yet they are here year after year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    You think Girardi is too predictable, yet were OK with Torre???

IN the one area where a manager can make a difference- bullpen management- Girardi is much better than Torre's rote management style that led to relievers being burned out
    I do agree that Girardi does a better job at not over using relief pitchers than Torre did. But right to the end Joe would still bring Joba into close games with the almost same bad results.

Totally agree. The Yankees are in the shape they are in mostly because of Oppenheimer and co. Yet they are here year after year.
    See - we don't know this.
    Oppenheimer can be doing everything correctly and then Levine and/or Trost could have Hal's ear.....
    Those two maniacs should stick to scheduling off season soccer games and leave the baseball to Stick Michael.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

Joe Girardi was one of the very few bright spots during a dreadful season.

There are very few (if any) managers who could have gotten 85 wins out of a roster cobbled together with retreads, has-beens, never-will-be's, while dealing with a ridiculous amount of injuries.

I don't believe the Yankees can find a better manager for this team - certainly not Don Mattingly.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I hope he gets a nice contract with more than 3-4 years. Deserves it. Decision will either come tomorrow or early next week
    I would not sign a manager to a contract longer than 3-4 years.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information