+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Girardi is to be commended for his inspired idea to send Jeter and Pettitte out to get Mariano for the last time. It was spontaneous and it turned out to be perhaps the single most emotional moment I've seen in a game, barring perhaps that Game Seven of the 2003 ALCS, when Mo collapsed on the mound ... though to be sure, that was after the game.
    Girardi should be given a lot of credit for everything this season. His respect to Mo last night is great.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Girardi should be given a lot of credit for everything this season. His respect to Mo last night is great.
    He pitched Joba with the season on the line. Unforgivable.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

I wouldn't miss Girardi. I'd love to see the Yankees bring Mattingly back here.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

According to ESPN, the Cubs have fired Dale Sveum as their manager. Next move up to Girardi and the Yankees...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    According to ESPN, the Cubs have fired Dale Sveum as their manager. Next move up to Girardi and the Yankees...
    I really do not think Girardi will take the Chicago job. If he does not come back next season I think it's because he wants to take a break from managing.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

If he does manage, it damn well better be in the Bronx. Yanks better not screw this up.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    If he does manage, it damn well better be in the Bronx. Yanks better not screw this up.
    Agreed. Probably the biggest reason the Yankees stayed above .500 this season.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF MVP

Heyman Tweet from about a minute ago: (bolding mine)
    Jon Heyman ‏‪@JonHeymanCBS‬
    1m
    Girardi goes 85-77 w/ $230M team (not his fault obvs) & is in GREAT bargaining spot. smart $ after many rumors: stays a NYY

Welldamn,
    Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
    #Yankees said to be “decompressing.” Do not plan to act on Girardi or anything else for next few days.

*headsmack* getting away from these guys & their "tweeting"
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Legend

He's very replaceable - I truly don't care either way what happens here. I don't think they should give him a raise. Give him the same contract he just had.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bronxburner View Post
    I wouldn't miss Girardi. I'd love to see the Yankees bring Mattingly back here.
    Why would Mattingly leave LA and their easy division and truly limitless resources for the headache of NY media and AL east?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Why would Mattingly leave LA and their easy division and truly limitless resources for the headache of NY media and AL east?
    Because in his heart, he's a true Yankee with his number retired and a plaque in Monument Park?

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    He's very replaceable - I truly don't care either way what happens here. I don't think they should give him a raise. Give him the same contract he just had.
    ^this.

I like, don't love Girardi. He's probably worth a raise, but nothing crazy, and certainly nothing to get into a waiting game/bidding war.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Welldamn,
    Ken Rosenthal ✔ @Ken_Rosenthal
    #Yankees said to be “decompressing.” Do not plan to act on Girardi or anything else for next few days.
    Yeah. Why act with urgency around anything. the Yanks are running like a well oiled machine. Decompress, take some time off, it is not like they were eliminated over a week ago, relax.

NYYF Legend

I agree and disagree. We KNOW what we have with Girardi. He does a good job with players, good job with the media, deflects attention, etc.

Are there others who can do that? Sure, a few, but a select few. My worries are that the Yanks go out and get the next Bobby V, there are a LOT more of those candidates out there.

Also, with what he got out of this team, and his past years, he merits a raise. It does not have to be off the charts, but don't lose him over what amounts to pennies for the Yanks.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I think Joe is a very good manager, but I wouldn't cry if he left or if we let him walk to a better deal. A new manager would fit the theme of transition well.

NYYF Cy Young

My guess is that Tony Pena would have the inside track, and Mattingly would not want to leave LA, so I'd prefer to have Girardi stay.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    My guess is that Tony Pena would have the inside track, and Mattingly would not want to leave LA, so I'd prefer to have Girardi stay.
    Tony Pena is not an awful choice if Girardi walks.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I get a feeling Joe will not be back, by his choice.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Legend

I still do not understand all the love Girardi gets. Discounting this season where you can't blame him for not making the playoffs. In 5 previous seasons he has made the WS once, missed the playoffs one other year and really looked bad managing in the playoffs in 2010-2012.
    People were sick of Joe Torre after his final 6 seasons as manager when his record was probably better overall than in Girardi's six years as manager.

It's not Joe's fault that the entire team was injured but he still kept sending Joba out there to pitch in close games down the stretch and probably kept Hughes in the rotation way more than he should of.

If Cashman rehires Joe fine but he should not get a raise and maybe only a 2 year deal this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I still do not understand all the love Girardi gets. Discounting this season where you can't blame him for not making the playoffs. In 5 previous seasons he has made the WS once, missed the playoffs one other year and really looked bad managing in the playoffs in 2010-2012.
    People were sick of Joe Torre after his final 6 seasons as manager when his record was probably better overall than in Girardi's six years as manager.

It's not Joe's fault that the entire team was injured but he still kept sending Joba out there to pitch in close games down the stretch and probably kept Hughes in the rotation way more than he should of.

If Cashman rehires Joe fine but he should not get a raise and maybe only a 2 year deal this time.
    Who the hell else was Joe supposed to put in there?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Addicted Member

Cashman: "I'll give Girardi a reason to stay."

They want him back. He has already spoken to Girardi and will talk to his agent tomorrow.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-stay/related/

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Cashman: "I'll give Girardi a reason to stay."

They want him back. He has already spoken to Girardi and will talk to his agent tomorrow.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-stay/related/

Excellent. I think he's a very good manager. What he did with what he had this year was pretty amazing.

I assume that he was talking money, but I really would love it if he meant players, too.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Tony Pena is not an awful choice if Girardi walks.
    Agree.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Bring back Larry Bowa too, dammit.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Bring back Larry Bowa too, dammit.
    Cash already said that if Girardi comes back the entire coaching staff does too. That means more guys out at home by 20 feet and more of Longball Long.
    Let the kids play.

Thread Information