+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Due to the injuries which are not Joe's fault there is very little actin on this thread. But it seems no one comments when Joe makes obvious bad choices like continuing to use Joba in close games instead of Claiborne and moves like taking Suzuki out of last nights game.
    Maybe when the team starts playing down to its talent level rather than above it? They're like 5 games better than their pythag. I really haven't found much to comain about. He did PH Wells early and it led to a run.

Due to the injuries which are not Joe's fault there is very little actin on this thread. But it seems no one comments when Joe makes obvious bad choices like continuing to use Joba in close games instead of Claiborne and moves like taking Suzuki out of last nights game.
    Why should others complain about Joe, when we have you to do enough of that for all of us.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

NYYF Legend

While I agree that Joba needs to be phased out, Joe has done a pretty nice job managing this team under the circumstances. And I know that Kay had his panties in a bunch about Girardi removing Ichiro! but the original move (PH'ing Wells for Stewart) actually led to two runs and his spot in the lineup never came up again so it was much ado about nothing.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    While I agree that Joba needs to be phased out, Joe has done a pretty nice job managing this team under the circumstances. And I know that Kay had his panties in a bunch about Girardi removing Ichiro! but the original move (PH'ing Wells for Stewart) actually led to two runs and his spot in the lineup never came up again so it was much ado about nothing.

Nothing wrong with pinch hitting Wells for Stewart. But why not just put Romine in Stewart's spot and keep Suzuki in the game?

Wow, last year at this point we were at thread 100+ by now right?
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

Despite Chamberlain’s recent struggles (four home runs allowed in last seven appearances), Girardi maintained he would not shy away from Chamberlain in pressure situations.

“We’re in a lot of those one run games either way,” Girardi said. “So he’s going to have to pitch and help us and to me it’s getting him on track. I thought he threw pretty well before he got hurt and he just hasn’t gotten on track for us and we’ve got to find a way to do (that). So whatever that means and whatever that takes, we’ll try to do it.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1384664

Not sure if anyone saw this gif yet from riveraveblues.com

http://i.minus.com/ij90sFWMSifKU.gif

NYYF Legend

With what he has had to work with, I would happily vote Girardi for Manager of the Year. He has stayed cool, and done a fine job with the dreck he has for hitters.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Cy Young

Absolutely agree that Joe has done a good job with what he has. I also think that he has to at least SOUND as if he has faith in everyone - if he expressed doubt, than any remaining confidence any of these non-performing guys might have will TOTALLY disappear! Question is, will they now get so far behind that they just throw in the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    Absolutely agree that Joe has done a good job with what he has. I also think that he has to at least SOUND as if he has faith in everyone - if he expressed doubt, than any remaining confidence any of these non-performing guys might have will TOTALLY disappear! Question is, will they now get so far behind that they just throw in the towel.

(Thanks - BRNXBMRS)
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Cy Young

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post

This will be an nyyfans.com fixture for eternity...
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I'm glad Joe thinks Adams is such a good option against lefties that he should play out of position at first base. Didn't cost us anything defensively at all.....

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post

I saw it at the end of the game on Thursday and was going to make a screencap.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hobokenfish View Post
    I'm glad Joe thinks Adams is such a good option against lefties that he should play out of position at first base. Didn't cost us anything defensively at all.....
    Problem is the Yankees do not have a real backup to play first base. Overbay can't play every game. Who would be your pick to be Overbay's backup right now.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Problem is the Yankees do not have a real backup to play first base. Overbay can't play every game. Who would be your pick to be Overbay's backup right now.
    Your comment is a bit of an understatement - as this team is constructed, we do not have a solid backup to:

1) the backup (who is playing) to the backup (Youk, who is injured and probably out for the season) to the regular 1Bman (who just had surgery)
    2) the backup (who is playing) to the backup SS (who is injured) to the regular SS (who may be back soon)
    3) the backup (who is playing) to the backup 3Bman (Youk) to the regular 3Bman (who may or may not be back this season).

The issue with this team is that we are at the third level of our depth chart at three IF positions (1B, SS & 3B) - the injury that has least hurt this team (and it has hurt the team nonetheless, particularly the power numbers) is Granderson, since we had Gardner to move to CF, Ichiro has had a reasonable (albeit less than Ichiroish) season and we have gotten to see Almonte come up.

Given what he has had to work with, I believe that this season may well be Girardi's best ever.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Indeed ^.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    I saw it at the end of the game on Thursday and was going to make a screencap.
    Mucho mixed emotions about young Joe throwin' in the towel.
    I get why he did it, but wish he had not done it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Your comment is a bit of an understatement - as this team is constructed, we do not have a solid backup to:

1) the backup (who is playing) to the backup (Youk, who is injured and probably out for the season) to the regular 1Bman (who just had surgery)
    2) the backup (who is playing) to the backup SS (who is injured) to the regular SS (who may be back soon)
    3) the backup (who is playing) to the backup 3Bman (Youk) to the regular 3Bman (who may or may not be back this season).

The issue with this team is that we are at the third level of our depth chart at three IF positions (1B, SS & 3B) - the injury that has least hurt this team (and it has hurt the team nonetheless, particularly the power numbers) is Granderson, since we had Gardner to move to CF, Ichiro has had a reasonable (albeit less than Ichiroish) season and we have gotten to see Almonte come up.

Given what he has had to work with, I believe that this season may well be Girardi's best ever.
    I agree with you. I was just replying to a poster who was questioning why Adams played 1B on Friday.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Logan v RHH 289 OBP
    Joba v RHH 373 OBP

Why the hell can't Logan face righties especially a weak hitting one in Dozier?

It didnt hurt us now, but it will in the future.

BTW- Mauer hits 359 against lefties including 4-9 against Boone......your method is flawed Joe. Revise your binder.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

You got lucky Joe. Stop bunting!

NYYF Legend

Yeah, hopefully his arbitrary stats encyclopedia says Jim Johnson always completely loses his ................ after intentionally walking someone. Because the 2nd bunt was a dumb call, especially considernig ichiro isnt easy to double up

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yeah, hopefully his arbitrary stats encyclopedia says Jim Johnson always completely loses his ................ after intentionally walking someone. Because the 2nd bunt was a dumb call, especially considernig ichiro isnt easy to double up
    I thought the dumb call was having Ichiro bunt in the first inning.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    You got lucky Joe. Stop bunting!
    Luck when it works.

When it does not.......what, he's the worst manager on earth?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Luck when it works.

When it does not.......what, he's the worst manager on earth?
    For the record I think Joe is a good manager. I just hated the bunt because it took the bat out of Cano's hands.

Thread Information