+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 664
  1. #176

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    IMO, managers get too much blame when a team is performing poorly and too much credit when a team is playing well. I think Girardi is generally doing a fine job but I'd give more of the credit to the pitching and the surprising offensive production we've gotten from Wells, Overbay, and Cervelli before the injury. Cano has been hot as of late as well.
    I agree, with the exception of the bullpen. I think a manager's worth rests almost completely on how he handles a pitching staff. Girardi's strength as a Yankee manager has been his ability to utilize a pen well. We don't always like his moves, but he has a very good pen year after year. Yes, Mo helps a ton there, but I can't recall one instance where a reliever petered out down the stretch because of overuse, etc., and I think he generally puts them in spots best suited to their abilities.

  2. #177

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    It's not even a hard/fast rule. In many scenarios the very best should actually hit 3rd.

    What they basically did is use computers to run millions of simulations and found the batting order that performs best with how they ranked the hitters.

    If you take any roster, there is a high probability the optimal order is something a little different.

    As long as you're not intentionally screwing it up (like batting pitcher 1st or cleanup), the differences are very small, 5 runs or so over the course of an entire season. At that point, IMO, managing egoes might be a little more productive.

  3. #178

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Girardi was just on Francesa's show and hinted that Granderson will play different OF positions after being called up, depending on the situation

  4. #179
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I agree, with the exception of the bullpen. I think a manager's worth rests almost completely on how he handles a pitching staff. Girardi's strength as a Yankee manager has been his ability to utilize a pen well. We don't always like his moves, but he has a very good pen year after year. Yes, Mo helps a ton there, but I can't recall one instance where a reliever petered out down the stretch because of overuse, etc., and I think he generally puts them in spots best suited to their abilities.
    Young Joe didn't have Mo last year.
    Still did an outstanding job employing the relief corp.

  5. #180
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Still no Nunez and I guess Stewart catches every game

    Brett Gardner CF
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Vernon Wells LF
    Travis Hafner DH
    Ichiro Suzuki RF
    Jayson Nix SS
    Lyle Overbay 1B
    Chris Nelson 3B
    Chris Stewart C
    LHP Andy Pettitte


    per LOHUD
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  6. #181
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Has it gotten to the point, that when Nunez is not in the lineup it's a bad thing?
    Does he not have more potential than Nix and Nelson?

  7. #182
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Has it gotten to the point, that when Nunez is not in the lineup it's a bad thing?
    Does he not have more potential than Nix and Nelson?
    At what point do we stop looking at perpetually unrealized potential as an asset?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  8. #183

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    i think joe would appear less bad if we had more competent utility guys/backups. criticizing his decisions can get really fun because BinderSays, but that's not to say he should be replaced. just don't do the low hanging fruit bad things like batting ben francisco's .200 obp 2nd ahead of your best hitters
    always reasonable

  9. #184
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Turn my headphones up

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    What they basically did is use computers
    Whoa, hold on there

  10. #185
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    yep -- Stewart catches every single game:
    Familiar lineup for K.C. finale

    Brett Gardner CF
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Vernon Wells LF
    Travis Hafner DH
    Ichiro Suzuki RF
    Jayson Nix SS
    Lyle Overbay 1B
    Chris Nelson 3B
    Chris Stewart C
    RHP Hiroki Kuroda
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  11. #186
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    seriously Joe, are you are NEVER going to play Romine?
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  12. #187

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    seriously Joe, are you are NEVER going to play Romine?
    I get it, and agree with your sentiment. Stewart needs some relief and why bother having Romine up here if he isn't going to play? But, maybe Joe is seeing even more flaws in his game than I do as a spectator.

    I think that the next time Romine frames a pitch will be his first.


  13. #188

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    seriously Joe, are you are NEVER going to play Romine?
    I know Stewart is going to need a day off but I don't really see Romine as being an upgrade.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  14. #189
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I get it, and agree with your sentiment. Stewart needs some relief and why bother having Romine up here if he isn't going to play? But, maybe Joe is seeing even more flaws in his game than I do as a spectator.

    I think that the next time Romine frames a pitch will be his first.
    I guess if they feel that way they should pick up a scrap-heap catcher so Stewart doesn't catch every game.

    I heard so much about Romine's defense. It is a shame if it were all a sham.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  15. #190
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I know Stewart is going to need a day off but I don't really see Romine as being an upgrade.
    He isn't an upgrade but Stewart can't catch every game. If Romine can not be trusted to catch a single game, why is he here? Bring back Gus Molina or Jake Gibbs.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  16. #191

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    He isn't an upgrade but Stewart can't catch every game. If Romine can not be trusted to catch a single game, why is he here? Bring back Gus Molina or Jake Gibbs.
    I assume the pitchers want Stewart. Yeah, he can't catch everyday but if they thought Romine was an upgrade he would be playing. That's the way I look it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  17. #192
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I assume the pitchers want Stewart. Yeah, he can't catch everyday but if they thought Romine was an upgrade he would be playing. That's the way I look it.
    Again he doesn't need to be an upgrade; that's why he is the back-up. But if he is not competent to play once a week then he needs to be sent packing.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  18. #193
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I guess if they feel that way they should pick up a scrap-heap catcher so Stewart doesn't catch every game.

    I heard so much about Romine's defense. It is a shame if it were all a sham.
    I agree. If Romine is so awful that he can't spell Stewart in a day game following a night game then they need to pick up a another catcher.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  19. #194
    NYYF Legend

    theDurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Basking Ridge, NJ

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I agree. If Romine is so awful that he can't spell Stewart in a day game following a night game then they need to pick up a another catcher.
    They are both going to play tomorrow, I assume, so I can see Joe preferring to play Stewart twice in two days rather than Romine.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

  20. #195
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    They are both going to play tomorrow, I assume, so I can see Joe preferring to play Stewart twice in two days rather than Romine.
    That's a fair point, but their apparent lack of confidence in Romine is disconcerting nonetheless.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  21. #196
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    So like Youkilis they kept Nunez on the team the entire week and now they are talking about putting him on the DL. I know they have been winning but they can't keep playing with one less infielder on the roster.

  22. #197
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So like Youkilis they kept Nunez on the team the entire week and now they are talking about putting him on the DL. I know they have been winning but they can't keep playing with one less infielder on the roster.
    I will defer to the team and their management in making these decisions.

    In order to replace Nunez on the roster, the team has had to:
    • Put Nunez on the DL
    • Move Texiera to the 60 day DL
    • Add Gonzalez to the 40 man

    Keeping Nunez on the roster and playing a man short at least opened the possibility that he could return May 20.

    In addition, the team will now have to expose Gonzalez to waivers when either adding Adams or bringing Nunez back. While there is likely minimal possibility that the Yankees would lose him in such a move, if I am not mistaken he would have the right to refuse assignment and become a free agent. Gonzalez was acquired to give us some SS depth at AAA, so losing him would be a step back.

    I understand your concern, but in neither case has this practice cost this team a game due to the lack of a bench person. The worst that has happened is that Vernon Wells has had to play one inning at 3B - and acquitted himself quite well in doing so.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  23. #198

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Ladies & gentlemen i present to you the best manager in baseball.

  24. #199
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    If not the best, he's one of the best. Here's to number 500, by the way.

  25. #200
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Ladies & gentlemen i present to you the best manager in baseball.
    The job he's doing this year is heroic. If Managers had WAR values he'd be light years ahead of the field.

    I know it is still early, and no matter what happens the rest of the year he'll never get credit because it's the Yankees with their 85 gazillion dollar payroll, but as of this point Joe is the manager of the year, and I don't even think there is much argument. Maybe Francona in Cleveland but no one else.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts