+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    Sabermats have been saying for a long time the worst hitter should bat 8th
    Yup. It's better to have a decent hitter in the 9 spot.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Joe gave a reasoning of having 3 lefties in a row later in the game.
    I hate, hate, hate planning the lineup for the last three innings - what about the first 6?
    It's just crazy.

Anyway - it worked out last night.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Joe gave a reasoning of having 3 lefties in a row later in the game.
    I hate, hate, hate planning the lineup for the last three innings - what about the first 6?
    It's just crazy.

Anyway - it worked out last night.

It's probably easier to say that than to explain the reasoning of why the 8hole is where you should put your worst hitter.

I think this makes sense, depending on the personnel of course. Where can I find the whole sabermatics analysis of lineup order?

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I think this makes sense, depending on the personnel of course. Where can I find the whole sabermatics analysis of lineup order?
    I think the idea is not to give the last out of the inning away, which is essentially what you're doing by batting a pitcher 9th. So, if you have 2 outs in the third (assuming no one has reached base), your 9 hitter can actually put the ball in play and then your lineup starts over. Your best 3 hitters follow him, so you have a better chance of making something happen.

I fully understand the logic of that, but wow - that's an awful way to anticipate a lineup. No baserunners for 7 batters.
    Of course, it'd all be flawed if the first 3 hitters load the bases and the next two hitters make 3 outs. The 8th hitter is then due for the 3rd out of the 2nd inning.

Again, planning the lineup for exactly ONE scenario seems a bit looney to me.

But it is what it is....

I fully understand the logic of that, but wow - that's an awful way to anticipate a lineup. No baserunners for 7 batters.
    Of course, it'd all be flawed if the first 3 hitters load the bases and the next two hitters make 3 outs. The 8th hitter is then due for the 3rd out of the 2nd inning.

Again, planning the lineup for exactly ONE scenario seems a bit looney to me.

But it is what it is....
    Well, that's why Gardner would bat 9th when Jeter would lead off. Gardner wasn't the worst hitter on the team. Shoot, Girardi always bats the worst hitter 8th.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    It's probably easier to say that than to explain the reasoning of why the 8hole is where you should put your worst hitter.

So why isn't Francisco batting 8th today instead of 5th?

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So why isn't Francisco batting 8th today instead of 5th?
    The question is why CC isn't batting 5th. He may belong there on merit.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

I think the idea is not to give the last out of the inning away, which is essentially what you're doing by batting a pitcher 9th. So, if you have 2 outs in the third (assuming no one has reached base), your 9 hitter can actually put the ball in play and then your lineup starts over. Your best 3 hitters follow him, so you have a better chance of making something happen.
    This is a relatively small part of it.

It's because the 1st to third hitters tend to be significantly better so you want to increase the probability there is a runner for them to drive home.

The differences are tiny though.

PS: Tony LaRussa batted pitchers 8th quite often.

I guess CC is a stronger batter than Stewart.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

It's because the 1st to third hitters tend to be significantly better so you want to increase the probability there is a runner for them to drive home.
    That's what I was trying to say, but in so many more words. And more confusing words.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The question is why CC isn't batting 5th. He may belong there on merit.
    He probably is a better hitter than Francisco but I get worried every time CC has to run something out. Get flashes back to what ruined Wang's career.

NYYF Legend

That's all well and good, but it still doesn't explain why he bats Cano 2nd instead of 3rd.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/201...-shouldnt-they

A lot of statistical data went into this but basically the best 3 hitters should hit, in no particular order, 1, 2 and 4. Then 4th and 5th best shoudl bat 5th and 3rd.

The difference is tiny, 4 runs or so over the course of an entire season, or a little less than half a win.

My guess is Girardi's binder is getting more sophisticated, quite possibly with a computer/stat guy's help.

That and playing to his obsession with L/R/L/R matchups.

NYYF Legend

A lot of statistical data went into this but basically the best 3 hitters should hit, in no particular order, 1, 2 and 4. Then 4th and 5th best shoudl bat 5th and 3rd.

The difference is tiny, 4 runs or so over the course of an entire season, or a little less than half a win.

My guess is Girardi's binder is getting more sophisticated, quite possibly with a computer/stat guy's help.

Good stuff. Thank you.

Mind blowing that Girardi has this team in first place.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    ..why is it mind blowing?

I don't see this as mind blowing at all. Girardi is doing a tremendous job with this cast of players.
    Of course, his pitchers are helping out a little too.

NYYF Legend

PS: Tony LaRussa batted pitchers 8th quite often.
    Apparently, that's where Joe got the idea.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/sp...t-rockies.html

..why is it mind blowing?
    Missing all the starters and playing the backups to the backups.

I don't see this as mind blowing at all. Girardi is doing a tremendous job with this cast of players.
    Of course, his pitchers are helping out a little too.
    He is doing an incredible job with the hand he was dealt with the injury bug.

Thanks for the link. The article is interesting and I can accept most of it. I do think the writer should have recognized the role of contract rewards for relievers. The closer role is a reward for performance now and saves can translate into bigger contracts. It is not just inflexibility and ego that supports the current bullpen hierarchy.

I also would like to understand the numerical analysis that makes the 3 hole a little less important than the one, two and four holes and even the fifth hole.

Finally, I would think the particular players matter somewhat. For instance, I remember when Ricky Henderson batted one and Donnie batted two, in '85 or '86. It was a great RBI slot for Donnie because Ricky often got himself in scoring position after a walk or single. I would think having those two guys in front of you might affect how you should play the next three slots.

NYYF Legend

Missing all the starters and playing the backups to the backups.
    IMO, managers get too much blame when a team is performing poorly and too much credit when a team is playing well. I think Girardi is generally doing a fine job but I'd give more of the credit to the pitching and the surprising offensive production we've gotten from Wells, Overbay, and Cervelli before the injury. Cano has been hot as of late as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Thanks for the link. The article is interesting and I can accept most of it. I do think the writer should have recognized the role of contract rewards for relievers. The closer role is a reward for performance now and saves can translate into bigger contracts. It is not just inflexibility and ego that supports the current bullpen hierarchy.

I also would like to understand the numerical analysis that makes the 3 hole a little less important than the one, two and four holes and even the fifth hole.

Finally, I would think the particular players matter somewhat. For instance, I remember when Ricky Henderson batted one and Donnie batted two, in '85 or '86. It was a great RBI slot for Donnie because Ricky often got himself in scoring position after a walk or single. I would think having those two guys in front of you might affect how you should play the next three slots.
    i didnt read that particular article but the basic analysis is that the 3 hitter rarely gets driven in (3 outs in an inning)---so his OBP shouldnt be that important but he should be a good power guy. like, a curtis granderson type maybe
    like delv, but better

Thread Information