+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

He pushed all the right buttons last night!!

Re: 2013 Joe Girardi performance thread:

This thread got created over something positive? Kill me now, it will not get any better than this.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    This thread got created over something positive? Kill me now, it will not get any better than this.
    Amazing isnt it.

Deserves a lot of credit over this small sample so far. He didn't panic when they were 1-4 and the team's 8-5 record has them on a firm footing to start the season. He's integrated the new guys, set each of them up to succeed, and gotten good results. This now looks like a team that's going to be quite strong when the guys on the DL return.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

That's one thing I like about how Joe manages the team, he puts guys in their best places to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Deserves a lot of credit over this small sample so far. He didn't panic when they were 1-4 and the team's 8-5 record has them on a firm footing to start the season. He's integrated the new guys, set each of them up to succeed, and gotten good results. This now looks like a team that's going to be quite strong when the guys on the DL return.
    All they have to do is to stay close till the calvary returns.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    All they have to do is to stay close till the calvary returns.
    Looking forward to Jete's return.

ARod, not so much. (I like Youklis-- a lot. )
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Looking forward to Jete's return.

ARod, not so much. (I like Youklis-- a lot. )
    I hope Arod never comes back!

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    That's one thing I like about how Joe manages the team, he puts guys in their best places to succeed.
    Agreed. He's good at team-building and confidence-building.

NYYF MVP

I'm back to being very unhappy with Joe's managing, as the bad habit of not knowing when to pull a relief pitcher out continues to be an ongoing problem for Joe. It seems like since he's been managing we can't win an extra inning game..

Also I get the feeling that Joe doesn't like Cervelli and that his personal feelings get in the way of him making the right player choice at times.. But his late inning managing in extra inning close games has been so bad, that I am baffled by his lack of moves when a reliever is getting hammered.

Ex. when one of his top relievers is pitching there are times when I feel that they could go another batter or two depending on how well they're pitching. And just the opposite goes for a reliever that looks bad or is struggling, he'll leave them in showing trust while giving the game away.

It's too bad because I do like Joe, but I really do think that he is sometimes the cause of the team losing, he seems to have a lack of gut feel or not being able to sense when a reliever must be lifted before it's too late.. He stays with failing relievers to a fault..

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I'm back to being very unhappy with Joe's managing, as the bad habit of not knowing when to pull a relief pitcher out continues to be an ongoing problem for Joe. It seems like since he's been managing we can't win an extra inning game..

Also I get the feeling that Joe doesn't like Cervelli and that his personal feelings get in the way of him making the right player choice at times.. But his late inning managing in extra inning close games has been so bad, that I am baffled by his lack of moves when a reliever is getting hammered.

Ex. when one of his top relievers is pitching there are times when I feel that they could go another batter or two depending on how well they're pitching. And just the opposite goes for a reliever that looks bad or is struggling, he'll leave them in showing trust while giving the game away.

It's too bad because I do like Joe, but I really do think that he is sometimes the cause of the team losing, he seems to have a lack of gut feel or not being able to sense when a reliever must be lifted before it's too late.. He stays with failing relievers to a fault..
    Phelps is the long reliever. The game was in extra innings, and Joba, Logan and Robertson had already all been used. I mean, I suppose he could have burned Warren, who in recent SSS has looked good. Other than that, it was Kelley or Eppley right? They're in a string of 16 games without a day off, including upcoming series against the Rays and Jays. What did you want him to do?

NYYF Legend

Since I assume Mo was not available Joe brought in the right pitchers. Phelps pitched great in long relief last week. Once Robertson had pitched his inning Phelps was guy I wanted to see out there. And if not for the catchers's interference call maybe he pitches out of the jam in the 12th inning.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Since I assume Mo was not available Joe brought in the right pitchers. Phelps pitched great in long relief last week. Once Robertson had pitched his inning Phelps was guy I wanted to see out there. And if not for the catchers's interference call maybe he pitches out of the jam in the 12th inning.
    First of all now it's Cervelli's fault, who we both know has no history of interfering, And we hardly ever use Robertson why not two innings as the game was tied?

Also Mo is making a ton of cash, being that that seems to be the main topic lately.. He (Mo) probably wanted to pitch, To win these extra inning games we need a total team effort..

Honestly to use the amount of pitchers we did and then fall short in the end as he usually does becomes predictable. Winning those extra inning games is what draws teams closer, just take a look at last seasons Baltimore team it was winning those close and extra inning games that was so exciting..

Also to bring up Phelps's one good outing, look at the rest of his work, it's this very thing that gives teams hope when they play us.. Don't forget we've had a steady diet of losing extra inning games since Joes been our manager.. Other teams work their relievers in and out while beating us and using who they have to.

For me these extra inning losses hurt more then most losses do, and it's the same trend losing by multiple runs... More then losing it's how we lose.. But lets not blame Cervelli when Phelps got creamed, it was like batting practice! The real joke was that Chavez got player of the game...

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Phelps is the long reliever. The game was in extra innings, and Joba, Logan and Robertson had already all been used. I mean, I suppose he could have burned Warren, who in recent SSS has looked good. Other than that, it was Kelley or Eppley right? They're in a string of 16 games without a day off, including upcoming series against the Rays and Jays. What did you want him to do?
    Hey What up? Anyway why not empty the tank, use everybody lets not just roll over... He threw in the towel, anyone that was watching new we were doomed watching Phelps get hammered like a drum. Joe gave that one away, we were the home team.. Hey 4 runs!! Really?? Lets fight like we want to win, that's all i'm saying...

Hey What up? Anyway why not empty the tank, use everybody lets not just roll over... He threw in the towel, anyone that was watching new we were doomed watching Phelps get hammered like a drum. Joe gave that one away, we were the home team.. Hey 4 runs!! Really?? Lets fight like we want to win, that's all i'm saying...
    This was not a game worth emptying the tank for. They'd won the first two game of the series, the offense was looking thoroughly anemic, there was nobody left on the bench, and the bullpen was being fried with a heavy schedule coming up. Yes, wins in April count as much as wins in September, but this wasn't the game to burn out the team for.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

phelps was being used properly.
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    This was not a game worth emptying the tank for. They'd won the first two game of the series, the offense was looking thoroughly anemic, there was nobody left on the bench, and the bullpen was being fried with a heavy schedule coming up. Yes, wins in April count as much as wins in September, but this wasn't the game to burn out the team for.
    Burn out the team?? You're kidding right, they used more pitchers then we did, and they also only scored two runs also.. So just let them have it? Sorry but we had just as much a chance of winning that game as they did and more, we were home!!

Not only that we almost never win an extra inning game, every time we play one there's another excuse! Did we owe them something, or did we feel sorry for them?? I really hope not, because you're talking like we should have been satisfied or like we would have been wasting another pitcher, I disagree...

Burn out the team?? You're kidding right, they used more pitchers then we did, and they also only scored two runs also.. So just let them have it? Sorry but we had just as much a chance of winning that game as they did and more, we were home!!

Not only that we almost never win an extra inning game, every time we play one there's another excuse! Did we owe them something, or did we feel sorry for them?? I really hope not, because you're talking like we should have been satisfied or like we would have been wasting another pitcher, I disagree...
    To tell you the truth, I don't think nearly as much of the Yankees' chance of winning that game as you do. Bringing in Mariano really wasn't a good idea, and I don't see how bringing in Warren or Kelly greatly increases their odds.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    phelps was being used properly.
    He got rocked, he took a beating while we helplessly watched.. After his first two batters in that final inning we all knew that joe was giving up, but we shouldn't be surprised this has been going on since he took over..

I wonder how the players felt about losing by 4 runs at home after fighting their way back in the game and not even using Mo?? Oh, by the way hello...

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    To tell you the truth, I don't think nearly as much of the Yankees' chance of winning that game as you do. Bringing in Mariano really wasn't a good idea, and I don't see how bringing in Warren or Kelly greatly increases their odds.
    I'm not saying that we would have won! I'm just saying that we should try until they beat us, I can except a loss.. But to throw in the towel, roll over because we won two. I guess only teams like Baltimore who fight for every win can sweep or win in extra innings!!

He got rocked, he took a beating while we helplessly watched.. After his first two batters in that final inning we all knew that joe was giving up, but we shouldn't be surprised this has been going on since he took over..

I wonder how the players felt about losing by 4 runs at home after fighting their way back in the game and not even using Mo?? Oh, by the way hello...
    hello. but mo is 43 or osmething, old enough to retire.
    always reasonable

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    hello. but mo is 43 or osmething, old enough to retire.
    I don't get it?? You too, so we just give up at home because 2 wins were enough, and by the way Mo was only one option that we had, there were more... As I said I care more about effort and trying to win, and being satisfied win or lose..

Phelps was used correctly and just didn't have any command. It happens. Everyone has their bad days, even athletes.

I don't get it?? You too, so we just give up at home because 2 wins were enough, and by the way Mo was only one option that we had, there were more... As I said I care more about effort and trying to win, and being satisfied win or lose..
    Dude - it's a 162 game season. Phelps wasn't aided by the interference from Cervelli (before you jump there - not blaming him, but it didn't help matters). They have 9 games coming up with no days off against AL East rivals. I'm perfectly fine with rolling the dice there and hoping Phelps pitches out of it then burning the pen with no guarantee the Yankees don't lose anyway. I really think you're making a big deal out of nothing.

NYYF Legend

You are not going to pitch Mo three straight games in April. You are not going to pitch Robertson 2 innings in April with no days off until May 2. You are going to pitch your long man in extra innings. Joe made all the right moves Thursday night. Does not mean you win the game.

Thread Information