+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Found Excitement to this team?

Hi Everyone

Long time no see, no post.

This is going to sound weird, but i'm actually getting into this year. I know they are they underdogs and ridden w/ injuries but i like the entire team aspect of this group. some are outperforming themselves which is nice to see and the injured guys will have to pick up the slack. However, there is also potential for some young guys to come in and have their moments.

It's still early but for some reason i'm looking forward to seeing how this season pans out.

I'm NO american born confused desi, but i love my yanks!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: New Found Excitement to this team?

Quote Originally Posted by indianyanksfan View Post
    Hi Everyone

Long time no see, no post.

This is going to sound weird, but i'm actually getting into this year. I know they are they underdogs and ridden w/ injuries but i like the entire team aspect of this group. some are outperforming themselves which is nice to see and the injured guys will have to pick up the slack. However, there is also potential for some young guys to come in and have their moments.

It's still early but for some reason i'm looking forward to seeing how this season pans out.

You are not alone - there are a number of us who are looking forward to this season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

I have to admit, looking at this team on paper didn't exactly cause me to be optimistic. However, as they say - you don't play the game on paper. They look a lot better on the field.

It's going to be a battle, but these guys are up for it.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

This is what happens when you're not expected to win. For many years it was absurd to think the Yankees could lose a game and if they did someone's head needed to be on a stick. Now they have virtually no pressure as I think most have just gotten to the point of accepting what is and hope for the best. When that happens the team can play, have fun, go all out and when they win it's just fantastic.
    Boo for trading Prado.

I've been really enjoying watching them.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

It's pretty fun to be the underdog yet still have some hope!

My expectations were pretty low for this team coming into the season so any pleasant surprises are...well, pleasant!
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

It's fair to say I wasn't looking forward to the season, and also fair to say that when they got to 1-4 I was feeling pretty checked out. But it didn't take long to turn it around. I like this group. They might end up having a terrible year, but I'm enjoying it.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It's fair to say I wasn't looking forward to the season, and also fair to say that when they got to 1-4 I was feeling pretty checked out. But it didn't take long to turn it around. I like this group. They might end up having a terrible year, but I'm enjoying it.
    Yea I agree, definitely the same for me. I will say that I like that the offense has a different dynamic this year. Its not just a bunch of power hitters with limited outcomes (K, Walk, home run). At least a few of these guys are going to come back down to earth, but if they can hold on long enough until the reinforcements get back that could be enough to put this team in good shape for a division title or wild card.

Devoted Member

It 's good to see first basemen hit to the opposite field It's good to see players hitting the ball instead of striking out. This rag tag bunch has been entertaining.

At this point, I don't miss Tex, Granderson, or Arod at all. I'm actually afraid when they get back that they will continue to be a black hole at the plate but will continue to get massive playing time because of their salary and status. I do miss seeing Jeter play, though. Love that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    At this point, I don't miss Tex, Granderson, or Arod at all. I'm actually afraid when they get back that they will continue to be a black hole at the plate but will continue to get massive playing time because of their salary and status. I do miss seeing Jeter play, though. Love that guy.
    Amen to that..... and, when we signed Youk I was not sure how I would buy in but I have. He is so much easier to "root for" than A-Rod.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

big worry is what do you do when the injured players are back from the DL, sit the people that are hot or bench the high price All Stars
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    Amen to that..... and, when we signed Youk I was not sure how I would buy in but I have. He is so much easier to "root for" than A-Rod.
    I knew once he started going people would come around. Playing for the Sox was the only reason I ever really disliked Youkilis but as a player he always had my respect. And by "as a player" I mean his talent not anything invlolving drama or hot headed rivalries.

I miss Jeter and Granderson. Tex would be useless now anyway, it's April. ARod can take his time coming back.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Yup, surprising the heck out of me !
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Cy Young

Let's not get carried away now.

Addicted Member

And that was the meat of our line up!!! It will be interesting when they come back but yes - I found it so frustrating last year I would turn the game off. All we needed was a hit and SO or into the shift. I was so depressed going into the season but it's been sweet (Youk, Hafner, and Wells). Even Overbay is better than I ever expected.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ27 View Post
    It has been pretty easy to root for A-Rod when he's on. 2007 was a blast.

I also have to admit, watching Arod from a few years back was fun. Every time he was up to bat, you get that feeling he will hit a HR. Now, I look at him, and want to punch him in the gonads.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    I also have to admit, watching Arod from a few years back was fun. Every time he was up to bat, you get that feeling he will hit a HR. Now, I look at him, and want to punch him in the gonads.
    Good luck finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Good luck finding them.
    Cameron Diaz probably has them

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    And that was the meat of our line up!!! It will be interesting when they come back but yes - I found it so frustrating last year I would turn the game off. All we needed was a hit and SO or into the shift. I was so depressed going into the season but it's been sweet (Youk, Hafner, and Wells). Even Overbay is better than I ever expected.
    I wasn't surprised a bit by Youk. I had him figured for a gamer that went out there and put his all into winning. Unfortunately, he was stuck on a team (Red Sox) where people were going back into the club house and pounding cold ones for after their day was done. That has to be discouraging to a guy especially when the team starts to tank.

I thought Wells would do okay. IMO, the biggest issue with Wells was that awful contract and the fact that the Angels had up and coming star that ended up limiting his at bats. The fact is we are not eating all that contract and he is playing regularly. He is a good fielder and with regular at bats I think we can expect him to hit.
    Yogi - Its tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Good luck finding them.

bwahahahahahah
    like delv, but better

NYYF HOF

Glad to see people excited about this iteration of the Yankees. I can't spend much time watching the games right now but they do seem to be clicking. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

NYYF Legend

Back to back bunts is exciting for me.

This is actually a pretty good team, and they're proving it.

Really the only major issue is the shakiness of their 4th and 5th starters. The offense is getting it done and will only get better when players start coming back.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information