+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: John Sterling is woeful

I don't have cable so the majority of my Yankee games are spent with Suzyn and John (I almost typed Jawn!). The only time I can watch is when the games are on Fox or My9. I've grown to like them a whole lot. No, they aren't perfect but they have a good repoire with one another. As a female baseball fan, I love that we have a woman who clearly loves and understands the game and is passionate about her job working for our team. And the beauty of the radio is that we CAN'T see it, so if the call does get behind a little bit for whatever reason or there's an error, they can quickly correct themselves. They can be a little predictable with their stories and their buddies and certain things but it's kind of like spending time with your relatives, in a good way, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Here's one. I enjoy our announcing crew and instead of getting all bent out of shape over Sterling's faux pas, I find them humorous and entertaining and welcome them. It's a baseball game, not life-threatening surgery. Plus, the guy has such a soothing, relaxing voice that compliments a long drive. I also enjoy Kay. His Center Stage show proves that he's one of the the best interviewers on the planet.

For comparison sake, when I listen to some of the nasally Mets announcers (Howie Rose - but lispy Josh Lewin is the worst), it's like nails on a chalkboard. Same with a lot of the out-of-town hicks or mumbling former players calling games.
    Believe it or not Paul O'Neill is my favorite announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I don't believe it.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I don't believe it.
    I also find it difficult to believe, though others have praised him as well. I think he's awful. He spends the entire game talking about himself - not only anecdotes from his career that might shed some light on the game, as other players do, but more often just about himself.

To be fair, he also gets Michael Kay to talk way too much about his personal life, which is no more interesting than Paul O'Neill's. In the bottom of the ninth, with the Yankees two runs down, O'Neill asked Kay, "So, you have any big plans for tonight?" It sounded like he was about to try to wangle a dinner invitation.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Just for once, I'd like to see a post praising one of our announcers

Andy
    If the Yankees would actually put a good crew out there you would. The radio announcing team is the absolute worst. The TV teams are good at times depending on who's in the booth. They have too many. I've gotten over Kay, he doesn't bother me as much as he used to. Sterling I will bitch and moan about until he's gone. I loathe him.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

O'Neill and Cone are my favorite commentators. I know they can't call the game but they bring a lot to the game. Experience on the field, insight to what's being said between players at certain times, and unlimited entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I also find it difficult to believe, though others have praised him as well. I think he's awful. He spends the entire game talking about himself - not only anecdotes from his career that might shed some light on the game, as other players do, but more often just about himself.

To be fair, he also gets Michael Kay to talk way too much about his personal life, which is no more interesting than Paul O'Neill's. In the bottom of the ninth, with the Yankees two runs down, O'Neill asked Kay, "So, you have any big plans for tonight?" It sounded like he was about to try to wangle a dinner invitation.
    No one is as terrible as David Wells. He should never be allowed to commentate ever again.

No one is as terrible as David Wells. He should never be allowed to commentate ever again.
    That may be true, and you can throw Tino in there as well. The difference is that they continue to allow O'Neill to broadcast games, and rather frequently.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Re: John Sterline is woeful

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    He couldn't really yell it before the end, could he? Because it wasn't one until the end.
    Really?

NYYF Legend

Re: John Sterline is woeful

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Really?
    Yes, really. Suppose Cano drops the ball or Machado slides creatively and avoids the tag. What's the problem here? Did any of the announcers say "It's a triple play" before the fait was accompli?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    O'Neill and Cone are my favorite commentators. I know they can't call the game but they bring a lot to the game. Experience on the field, insight to what's being said between players at certain times, and unlimited entertainment.
    I think David Cone is an outstanding color commentator. A natural even. O'Neill I can't say the same about.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    I think David Cone is an outstanding color commentator. A natural even. O'Neill I can't say the same about.
    Well that's what I was saying. Neither can be a play by play guy but they are very good in the roles they have.

I get the feeling that only Yankees game O'Neill watches during the season are the ones he works for YES.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Triple Crown

I actually prefer Sterling to Kay. Kay's voice is just grating. Sterling might not be incredible, but he's not awful.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

@ the tek/tz exchange.

I actually don't mind him even if he's not the best prepared, and others around him can pick up the slack, so it's no biggie. But, then again, I'm biased, as he gets a free pass from me just for being one of my all-time favorite players.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I get the feeling that only Yankees game O'Neill watches during the season are the ones he works for YES.
    I'm not sure how closely he watches them, either.
    - Barry Manilow

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

I can't believe I used to listen to Sterling broadcast the New York Raiders WHA hockey games on WMCA back in the 70s.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I can't believe I used to listen to Sterling broadcast the New York Raiders WHA hockey games on WMCA back in the 70s.
    I can't believe you actually received a signal from WMCA.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I can't believe you actually received a signal from WMCA.
    Back in the day it would come in well at night....I had a small transistor under my pillow.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    If the Yankees would actually put a good crew out there you would. The radio announcing team is the absolute worst. The TV teams are good at times depending on who's in the booth. They have too many. I've gotten over Kay, he doesn't bother me as much as he used to. Sterling I will bitch and moan about until he's gone. I loathe him.
    I feel the same way. While the television broadcasters can be hit and miss I enjoy Ken Singleton's commentary the most. John Sterling, on the other hand, has left me no choice but to remove WCBS from from my car's radio. I refuse to listen. I won't even tune in to find out the score.

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue17 View Post
    I don't have cable so the majority of my Yankee games are spent with Suzyn and John (I almost typed Jawn!). The only time I can watch is when the games are on Fox or My9. I've grown to like them a whole lot. No, they aren't perfect but they have a good repoire with one another. As a female baseball fan, I love that we have a woman who clearly loves and understands the game and is passionate about her job working for our team. And the beauty of the radio is that we CAN'T see it, so if the call does get behind a little bit for whatever reason or there's an error, they can quickly correct themselves. They can be a little predictable with their stories and their buddies and certain things but it's kind of like spending time with your relatives, in a good way, haha.
    Skyblue17, lol about wanting to type "Jawn", but I agree with most of your post. I have Game Day Audio (no TV), so I get to listen to other broadcasters, and ours are certainly unique--we're New York, we're Broadway, it's theatrical, complete with the home run call shtick. I think they have a good sense of humor about their foibles--they know they're not performing brain surgery! When the Yankees aren't on, I do enjoy listening to the WEEI broadcasters, because inevitably they will talk about the Yankees in some way, and it's interesting to hear their perspective.

When I'm at the game, I'll listen to the top of each inning on the radio, so I get to see first-hand the imprecise calls, so I know when I'm listening at home I may not be getting the call as precisely as might be ideal. But I find them both enjoyable to listen to, and I also like the fact that we have a female broadcaster, who is good in her role (despite the Boston accent).

But it's comforting and familiar to listen to your home team's broadcaster; as some one else said, it's great listening to a game while taking a long drive in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    Sometimes David Cone's color commentary is a little too colorful, recalling the "David Cone said what?" thread, but even though I hear him rarely (no TV at home), I think he's very good in his role!

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    I won't even tune in to find out the score.
    Like you could find out the score by listening to Sterling anyway.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

These comments remind me of the M*A*S*H episode Out of Sight, Out of Mind where Hawkeye loses his sight and discovers that Frank Burns is betting on baseball games that he already knows the outcome of.

During the fake broadcast of the game, there is an incident when Hawkeye calls a swing and a miss, Radar (I think) strikes two pieces of wood together and Hawkeye looks at him then quickly corrects his call to a foul ball.

Just think of the days when announcers would call the games based on the telegraph report coming in from the ballpark - there is a story that, in 1934, Ronald Reagan had to fictionalize for quite some time when the telegraph went dead during a Cubs game against the Cardinals.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information