+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

John Sterling is woeful

Not that anyone needed any further proof, but the dude is complete balls. Listen to his call of the triple play last night:

http://deadspin.com/the-yankees-turn...ight-472779106

e: ..and my phone went ahead and changed his name.
    Last edited by yankeeschic12324; 04-13-13 at 03:39 PM.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: John Sterline is woeful

"...they throw to third, why, I don't know..."

To get the lead runner, you idiot!

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post

Why he doesn't know is the reason he's a numpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post

A terrible observation, but he did a good job describing the action.

The terrible observation - Expected.
    The good call of the action - Extremely surprising.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF Legend

4 different calls and only John did not know why Nix threw to third!.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Someday Sterling will retire and the Yanks will get a competent radio play-by-play guy -- but the broadcast will no longer be "special." I enjoy Sterling. The fact that he is blind as well as incompetent means that the entertainment factor is high.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Even better, this was, according to MLB.com, the first 4-6-5-6-5-3-4 triple play in big league history. The triple play, too, killed a budding eighth-inning rally, and the Orioles went down fairly quickly in the ninth.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Someday Sterling will retire and the Yanks will get a competent radio play-by-play guy -- but the broadcast will no longer be "special." I enjoy Sterling. The fact that he is blind as well as incompetent means that the entertainment factor is high.

Philllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Unless, of course, you listen to most of the games on the compu-radio.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A terrible observation, but he did a good job describing the action.

The terrible observation - Expected.
    The good call of the action - Extremely surprising.
    Really? He stuttered his way through the whole thing and then yelled "triple play!" at the end.

I am going to be in the minority here but I think Sterling got this one right. Up three runs with no one out in the 8th, the smart play is to go for the 4-6-3 with the force at first, to get two outs and leave a runner on third

Had that throw to third been offline, hit the runner in the back, or somehow the rundown was botched, everyone would have been yelling that you get the two easy force outs up three in the 8th. It was not a force at third, it was a tag play which can be a lot riskier then the 4-6-3.

I think it was appropriate to be surprised, even a little flabbergasted, at Nix's throw to third. No one tries that play, no one even thinks of it. It was completely off-the-wall, but brilliant because of that - and because it worked.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by yankees2010 View Post
    I am going to be in the minority here but I think Sterling got this one right. Up three runs with no one out in the 8th, the smart play is to go for the 4-6-3 with the force at first, to get two outs and leave a runner on third

Had that throw to third been offline, hit the runner in the back, or somehow the rundown was botched, everyone would have been yelling that you get the two easy force outs up three in the 8th. It was not a force at third, it was a tag play which can be a lot riskier then the 4-6-3.
    I agree - the risk is probably greater than the potential reward. However with the runner freezing and heading back to second the instinct play is to get the lead runner, so I wouldn't fault him too much if the play got botched.
    Let the kids play.

You are absolutely right, of course.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

This is my problem with that embarrassing call, and it's the same problem I often have with Kay. You're a play by play guy, just describe what you see, that's it. It's not your job to have an opinion, especially in the middle of a play, especially in a middle of a spectacular play which you have no idea what's happening. These NY media guys just get so full of themselves.
    The artist formerly known as BillBuckner.

Sterling's call wasn't half as bad as Kay's. My goodness that was awful.

It would have been fine if it didn't take away from his ability to call the play properly, but by questioning Nix's throw, he wound up falling behind the play and then fumbled his way through the whole thing.

Also, Cano made a pretty ridiculous catch at the end. I don't think the YES angle showed it, but from Baltimore's feed, the throw went to his left and he essentially caught it with Machado completely blocking his view.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by boomerdisciple View Post
    This is my problem with that embarrassing call, and it's the same problem I often have with Kay. You're a play by play guy, just describe what you see, that's it. It's not your job to have an opinion, especially in the middle of a play, especially in a middle of a spectacular play which you have no idea what's happening. These NY media guys just get so full of themselves.
    To be fair, this is true. Especially with so many frantic movements. Add the Sterling-isms at the conclusion of the play.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Really? He stuttered his way through the whole thing and then yelled "triple play!" at the end.
    He couldn't really yell it before the end, could he? Because it wasn't one until the end.

I thought he did OK. He was surprised to see Nix throw to third, when there was a conventional double play for the asking if he had thrown to first. That came out as "Why, I don't know," but after that, he was on top of the action.

I really enjoyed that clip, seeing the play from several different angles and hearing four different calls.

Re: John Sterling is woeful

I haven't listened to John Sterling with any regularity in years, but I used to love listening to him on summer nights. He's got a great voice. And I'm going to weigh in with the it-wasn't-so-bad contingent on this thread. As others have said, the throw to third IS a weird play. With runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out, the 4-6-3 or 6-4-3 is instinct; throwing to third is an exceptional and kind of shocking move (which is why the play was so great!). I don't think "why, I don't know" was an arrogant thing at all...I think it was just stream-of-consciousness surprise popping out. I would've done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by South Facing Epitaph View Post
    Sterling's call wasn't half as bad as Kay's. My goodness that was awful.
    I don't think Kay's call was bad at all. He was on the television side so he didn't have to be as descriptive and at times let the visual speak for itself.

Sterling did stumble a bit (he lost some fluidity) after his initial confusion, but the worst has to be the last clip - the WBAL announcer. Was that the craptastic Joe Angel? You'd think he was calling a tennis or golf match, instead of an exciting, infrequent play. And, what's with his adding "a" at the end of some words, like "third-a." Sometimes we think we have it bad till we hear some of the announcers from other cities.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

When I watched the replay of the play with all the calls, I immediately picked up on the Sterling "Why, I don't know" comment - and made mention of it in another thread.

Still, I don't get the "Sterling (and Waldman) are so bad" contingent.

When I am in the car, I love nothing more than listening to a ball game - my wife will tell you that, on many trips to pick up our daughter at college, I would scan the AM dial to pick up any game I could - from Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detriot, a minor league game, I didn't care.

As for Sterling & Waldman, they are what we have right now and I enjoy listening to their call of the game when all I have to listen to is their call. Perhaps we are spoiled from the days of Red Barber, Phil Rizzutto, Jerry Coleman, Frank Messer and Bill White.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Just for once, I'd like to see a post praising one of our announcers

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    Here's one. I enjoy our announcing crew and instead of getting all bent out of shape over Sterling's faux pas, I find them humorous and entertaining and welcome them. It's a baseball game, not life-threatening surgery. Plus, the guy has such a soothing, relaxing voice that compliments a long drive. I also enjoy Kay. His Center Stage show proves that he's one of the the best interviewers on the planet.

For comparison sake, when I listen to some of the nasally Mets announcers (Howie Rose - but lispy Josh Lewin is the worst), it's like nails on a chalkboard. Same with a lot of the out-of-town hicks or mumbling former players calling games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    Sterling has great pipes and a great work ethic. I've said so many times. Other than that, I don't know what I'd praise him for.

Once upon a time, Waldman was a terrific Yankee beat reporter for WFAN. Then she fell too much in love with Tino and O'Neill and a couple of others and reported everything through that filter. It was too bad.

I praise Singleton at every opportunity. But after the last couple of games, I've realized once again why I can't stand O'Neill as an announcer.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Ehh... it was a weird play and he at least did a decent job of telling you where the ball was. Michael Kay had the benefit of not having to describe every single thing going on and he still kind of stumbled through it. The Orioles broadcast wasn't exactly smooth either.

Thread Information