View Poll Results: Who has the better '13? Martin or Stewvelli?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russell Martin

11 25.00%
  • Francisco Cervelli/Chris Stewart combo

33 75.00%
  • Yankees significantly upgrade C during the season

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NYYF Legend

Re: Who has the better '13 - Martin or Stewvelli?

I am not convinced that Stewart is anything more than a back-up who should be used sparingly. That being said, before the season started, I was convinced that letting Martin go was a big mistake. Now that the season started, I have been surprised by Cervelli and I am not so sure. Hopefully Cervelli will continue to produce and make the Martin issue moot.

Released Outright

None of the above.

NYYF Legend

they will end the season with the exact same stats
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Who brings more energy/enthusiasm.
    Answer.............Stewvelli.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Who brings more energy/enthusiasm.
    Answer.............Stewvelli.
    Who brings the name of a 20th-century musical giant?
    Answer.............Russell Nathan Jeanson Coltrane Martin Jr.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Nice. ^

Addicted Member

I will take Stewvelli. While Martin had a decent year last year, he still let his BA sink below the Mendosa line for much of the season. Stewvelli will give the Yanks just as much offensive production with similar defense.

I think Cervelli alone will have a better season so yeah, i'm going with Stewvelli.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by oneill96 View Post
    I will take Stewvelli. While Martin had a decent year last year, he still let his BA sink below the Mendosa line for much of the season. Stewvelli will give the Yanks just as much offensive production with similar defense.
    Why people keep referring to a .211 /.311/.403/.713 year as "a decent year" is baffling to me?

Martin was, for the entire year, a black hole in the Yankee lineup - sure, he had a few key hits, but his 21 HR and 53 RBI do not offset the horrendous numbers and the > 20% K/PA rate from last year.

He stunk offensively.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

I was watching Stewart catch the other day and he really is nice and quiet behind the plate and does a nice job of catching the pitch to optimize it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Why people keep referring to a .211 /.311/.403/.713 year as "a decent year" is baffling to me?

Martin was, for the entire year, a black hole in the Yankee lineup - sure, he had a few key hits, but his 21 HR and 53 RBI do not offset the horrendous numbers and the > 20% K/PA rate from last year.

He stunk offensively.
    Completely agreed. I am frankly amazed by how many fans mourned his departure, often because of his power. I don't care if he hits 20 home runs if he also barely cracks .200 and strikes out in a quarter of his at-bats. He's another example of the homer-or-bust mentality...without the power payoff that someone like Granderson or even Teixeira could give to make it (almost) worth it.

Martin seems like a great guy, but I was glad to see him go. There's just no way he's worth $9m a year, whether or not we have a Posada waiting in the wings.

I've been impressed by what Cervelli's shown this year, and I hope he keeps it up. Even if he doesn't, I feel confident he'll match Martin's offensive production, for a fraction of the cost. Stewart will never be a starter, but he's a serviceable backup.

frankie wont match martin's power, but he is a better contact hitter and above average defensively. i wasnt as worried about losing martin as others were....
    RIP MR. STEINBRENNER

Russell Martin had a 94 OPS+ with the Yankees, is 30 years old and trending downward. Cervelli is a career 89 OPS+, 27 years old, and trending upwards. I'd honestly be surprised if Cervelli doesn't have a better OPS/OPS+ than Martin this year. And I like that Cervelli has only struck out once so far this year. He puts the ball in play AND he's seeing almost 4 pitches per plate appearance.

Defensively I don't see a difference right now. Cervelli has called good games thus far and hasn't had any defensive issues.

Stewart is an adequate backup at best.

It's early, but Cervelli has the third-lowest catcher ERA among qualified players.

That Evan Gattis guy is pretty good. I wonder if McCann becomes available after the ASB. He wouldn't be a bad guy to throw into the mix for $6 million or so if necessary.

Thread Information