View Poll Results: Who has the better '13? Martin or Stewvelli?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russell Martin

11 25.00%
  • Francisco Cervelli/Chris Stewart combo

33 75.00%
  • Yankees significantly upgrade C during the season

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Who has the better '13 - Martin or Stewvelli?

We have done a poll like this for 5 years running, usually pitting a Yankee underdog against a favored Sox player prior to the season starting. Apologies to those who have enjoyed these that I didn't get around to it this year.

jcarey suggested a Martin/Stewvelli poll. Thought this one would be interesting, since pretty much everyone lambasted the Yankee FO for passing up on Martin and/or relying on Cervelli and Stewart as the fallback option. We're a week into the season, and we do have some preliminary results that might steer some to lean one way or the other... but it's a long season.

Measuring catcher D is particularly tough, so we'll start with wRC+ as the benchmark and we'll have to debate their relative defensive performance. So... what's your prediction?

Also - here's some of the examples from past years...

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: Who has the better '13 - Martin or Stewvelli?

I believe that Cervelli will likely start 120+ games and will hit between .250 & .275 - he won't produce the power that Martin does, but he will get key hits and RBIs through the course of the season.

People are seduced by Martin's 21 HR last season, but for all those HR, he only produced 53 RBI. I easily think that Cervelli will produce a similar RBI season, even without the HR.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Cervelli is off to a hot start and Martin isn't. Going on Offense, gotta go Cervs. Defense is up in the air. Cervelli has looked REALLY good so far.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Cervelli is off to a hot start and Martin isn't. Going on Offense, gotta go Cervs. Defense is up in the air. Cervelli has looked REALLY good so far.
    Have to agree, Cervelli's defense has come leaps and bounds from where it was in '11.

stewvelli sounds like something italian, food
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    Scooter used to rave about it.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    "Leave the gun, take the stewvelli"

Wow, 9 to 1 in favor of Franchrisco Stewvelli.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Have to agree, Cervelli's defense has come leaps and bounds from where it was in '11.
    Not surprised by this. He was highly touted for his defensive skills as he was moving thru the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Not surprised by this. He was highly touted for his defensive skills as he was moving thru the system.
    Agreed - the surprising thing was how terrible he was in '11. Good to see him become a solid receiver again.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Wow, 9 to 1 in favor of Franchrisco Stewvelli.
    this poll came too late. recency bias. if it had come a week ago, they/he'd be being crushed.

btw, option 1 and option 3 are not mutually exclusive
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    this poll came too late. recency bias. if it had come a week ago, they/he'd be being crushed.

I agree - just surprised people that were so opposed to the current scenario either had a quick change of heart or just haven't weighed in.

Option 2 and 3 are not mutually exclusive either.

NYYF Cy Young

Martin 0-17 to start the season.
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post

Nor are options 2 and 3.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Russell Martin's offensive productivity is nowhere near where it was 4-5 years ago. His stength was his defense. And if Cervelli and Stewart can just avoid being automatic outs, I don't see much, if any, drop off. In fact I see Cervelli reaching base more than Martin.

Oh, but you're forgetting Martin's ability to pitch frame. Surely that has to count for something. Or should we just chalk this up to Martin's gone now so the other guy/guys win by default.

It's not that I believe the Cervelli/Stewart combo will be better than Martin, I just don't think they'll be significantly worse.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    It's not that I believe the Cervelli/Stewart combo will be better than Martin, I just don't think they'll be significantly worse.
    Damn, that's setting the bar low.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

This should be an easy question. I would give the offense to Cervelli and the defense is a wash, although Cervelli has potential to be better than Martin even in that category.

Not to mention, he is $10M cheaper.

Cervelli.

Stewart will not be starting as many games, in my opinion, once we get through the whacky April scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Damn, that's setting the bar low.
    It's kind of like picking which Jennifer Love Hewitt movie is better, it's an exercise in futility.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Oh, but you're forgetting Martin's ability to pitch frame. Surely that has to count for something. Or should we just chalk this up to Martin's gone now so the other guy/guys win by default.
    Stewart is more skilled at framing than Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Stewart is more skilled at framing than Martin.
    Well, that's news to me. Frankly, I don't really care but it is ironic. Whenever I threw Martin under the bus last year, someone would reply with "But he frames a good pitch, second only to Jose Molina and he's one of the best defensive catchers around"or " he might not hit for a high average, but he has above average power for a catcher" and my all-time favorite " If not Martin, who could the Yankees possibly bring in that could do any better than Martin for that price range?"

And now that he's gone, it's about his 0-17 to start the season and not his defense The guy hasn't hit a lick in 4 seasons so that really shouldn't come as a surprise. You don't sign catchers for their offense or so I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Well, that's news to me. Frankly, I don't really care but it is ironic. Whenever I threw Martin under the bus last year, someone would reply with "But he frames a good pitch, second only to Jose Molina and he's one of the best defensive catchers around"or " he might not hit for a high average, but he has above average power for a catcher" and my all-time favorite " If not Martin, who could the Yankees possibly bring in that could do any better than Martin for that price range?"

And now that he's gone, it's about his 0-17 to start the season and not his defense The guy hasn't hit a lick in 4 seasons so that really shouldn't come as a surprise. You don't sign catchers for their offense or so I've been told.
    Take it for what it's worth, but the same analysis that pegged Molina as saving the most runs through pitch framing I THINK found Stewart to save the second most. If I find it I'll post. Regardless, I'm almost positive he was higher than Martin, who is no slouch.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I will say this. I would take Cervelli and Stewart for what they are being paid over what Martin is being paid.

Here's a link that may help regarding the pitch framing. Mike Fast was the one who did the study.

Thread Information