+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long can this tremdous winning streak last ?

Awesome game by the fat man today !

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: How long can this tremdous winning streak last ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    He doesn't look so fat these days - I am guessing he found a Subway nearby.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Seriously I don't even post here anymore, am I the only one who realizes this clown is a Yankee-baiting troll?
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

No, you're not the only one. Almost every regular recognizes the same thing.

Sorry you don't post much these days. We need more like you. Ever since this site was sold it hasn't been quite the same. I don't come here every day anymore and I post much less frequently.
    I am a positive person by nature and the negativity that I usually see here really turns me off. I miss Jim.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Others feel the same as you, Nome. I am not sure I ascribe it to the sale, but there are a number of posters here who seem most interested in posting to cast a negative light on the team and the front office. Perhaps they are trolls or even actually Sox fans; perhaps they are embittered Yankee fans. I cannot claim to understand them. But they seem to have driven away many of the posters from whom I used to learn on this site.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I would not attribute it to the sale, because not much has really changed. There was a time when a lot of people got banned from stuff they said the GT -- some who were good, valued, posters. Also, we did lose a bunch of people (PalmerGA, for one) when the Political Soapbox was shut down. And I'm sure one title in the last 12 seasons after 4 titles in a 5 year period, puts a damper on things too.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    And I'm sure one title in the last 12 seasons after 4 titles in a 5 year period, puts a damper on things too.
    The Cubs forum must be barren.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Seriously I don't even post here anymore, am I the only one who realizes this clown is a Yankee-baiting troll?
    I bet he doesn't even know "Swingin' the Alphabet."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF MVP

Or has ever had a hot dob at Yankee Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Others feel the same as you, Nome. I am not sure I ascribe it to the sale, but there are a number of posters here who seem most interested in posting to cast a negative light on the team and the front office. Perhaps they are trolls or even actually Sox fans; perhaps they are embittered Yankee fans. I cannot claim to understand them. But they seem to have driven away many of the posters from whom I used to learn on this site.

NYYF Legend

Every forum needs pets..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    a video
    I don't know what this video references because it's blocked at my office... but I'm going to guess its something sarcastic and mocking

I have to agree that that kind of posting has made this site less fun. Does the potentially lower performance of the team make it less fun too? Sure. But I'm a sports fan for personal enjoyment, not to engage in angry dark humor (not actually funny humor, but it makes up for that in sheer repetitiveness) and misery all the time. I feel like sports fandom should exist for positive entertainment value.

Pessimism is part of fandom too, but this site seems like its pretty overloaded with that and now the norm is also mocking optimism. An entire thread based on mocking optimistic people. I mean whatever, but im not likely to participate

I like the Yankees. I may not think they are going to win 100 games or even 95, but somehow I'm not going to let that make me into a sarcastic black hole for a year or more. I may not agree with every decision made by the people running this team, but I'm not going to picket their house or launch personal attacks against them.

Sports are cyclical, like most things, and if the down years mean so much kicking and screaming, i'll watch them in a more fun environment

Forum Regular

If you expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I don't know what this video references because it's blocked at my office... but I'm going to guess its something sarcastic and mocking

I have to agree that that kind of posting has made this site less fun. Does the potentially lower performance of the team make it less fun too? Sure. But I'm a sports fan for personal enjoyment, not to engage in angry dark humor (not actually funny humor, but it makes up for that in sheer repetitiveness) and misery all the time. I feel like sports fandom should exist for positive entertainment value.

Pessimism is part of fandom too, but this site seems like its pretty overloaded with that and now the norm is also mocking optimism. An entire thread based on mocking optimistic people. I mean whatever, but im not likely to participate

I like the Yankees. I may not think they are going to win 100 games or even 95, but somehow I'm not going to let that make me into a sarcastic black hole for a year or more. I may not agree with every decision made by the people running this team, but I'm not going to picket their house or launch personal attacks against them.

Sports are cyclical, like most things, and if the down years mean so much kicking and screaming, i'll watch them in a more fun environment

The biggest problem with this forum lies with those posters that continually talk about other posters and their opinions and how fans should behave, rather than discussing the topic at hand. To me, that type of grumpiness is a bigger buzz kill than what someone has to say, negative or positive, about the team or management. Grumpiness and paranoia don't invite discourse or debate, nor is it conducive to starting conversation.

As for the "mocking" sarcastic tones, don't you think that the overly optimistic do likewise to the more pessimistic, perhaps to an even greater extent? I've seen some ask "Where is everybody???" in certain threads, after a win (as if we're supposed to be glued to this site 24/7), yet they are silent after a loss, as if the team and management should judged on a day to day basis.

And, in case you haven't noticed, the "Doomed" thread existed long before the "Lollipops" thread, which is actually a harmless parody of the former, or at least that was my intent.

Personally, I think that this forums' diminishing popularity goes beyond posters that are expressing their opinions in a negative or positive fashion, even regardless of the extremity. I have no problem with either and just skip posters that I know are a bore, inflexible or unwilling to debate without stressing. Sh!t, I'd go bat-crazy if I made worrying about posters, their opinions, how they behave as fans, and forum etiquette my priority. It's those type of complainers and forum police that will make me want to click onto another site.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    The biggest problem with this forum lies with those posters that continually talk about other posters and their opinions and how fans should behave, rather than discussing the topic at hand. To me, that type of grumpiness is a bigger buzz kill than what someone has to say, negative or positive, about the team or management. Grumpiness and paranoia don't invite discourse or debate, nor is it conducive to starting conversation.

As for the "mocking" sarcastic tones, don't you think that the overly optimistic do likewise to the more pessimistic, perhaps to an even greater extent? I've seen some ask "Where is everybody???" in certain threads, after a win (as if we're supposed to be glued to this site 24/7), yet they are silent after a loss, as if the team and management should judged on a day to day basis.

And, in case you haven't noticed, the "Doomed" thread existed long before the "Lollipops" thread, which is actually a harmless parody of the former, or at least that was my intent.

Personally, I think that this forums' diminishing popularity goes beyond posters that are expressing their opinions in a negative or positive fashion, even regardless of the extremity. I welcome both and am hardly troubled by a differing opinions or attitudes. That's what makes a forum interesting IMO. Sh!t, I'd go bat-crazy if I made worrying about posters, their opinions, behavior and forum etiquette my priority. It's those type of complainers and forum police that will make me click onto another site.

I don't know about the forum's popularity as a whole, I'm speaking for myself. I just know that I come to be entertained by engaging talk about the Yankees, a subject that I enjoy. I don't find oppressive negativity engaging

In the end, you can post what you want. Self-elected "thread police" can't do anything

The Yankees have been bad before and they'll be bad again (whether that is now remains to be seen). I'll be a fan either way, and I'm not going to mock other fans for being positive, with the possible rare exception of lunatics like Hughes2.50 who pass opinions off as science

Who was the supposed 5th member of the Royal Flush?

Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Humberto Sanchez, ???

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Who was the supposed 5th member of the Royal Flush?

Hughes, Joba, Kennedy, Humberto Sanchez, ???
    Had to be Betances. They are all still alive, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Had to be Betances. They are all still alive, at least.
    Pretty sure Betances was part of the second "Royal Flush" with the 3 Killer b's plus Hughes and Joba.

CMW was guy number 5 iirc.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Pretty sure Betances was part of the second "Royal Flush" with the 3 Killer b's plus Hughes and Joba.

CMW was guy number 5 iirc.
    No Kennedy - Wang, Hughes, Joba, Betances, and Sanchez.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...ghlight=hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes2.50
    The fifth is Wang. It just so happens that he is the first of the Royal Flush to make it to the majors. If you get close to Yankee thinking about their respective futures you will find that Wang, although first to the majors might be last in terms of the Royal Flush.

First in order, once he gets settled into his fifteen year lock in the Yankee rotation is more than likely to be Philip Hughes. Then will follow in relatively quick succession the installation of Sanchez, Chamberlain, and Betances.

If things go well, by 2009 the Yankee five man rotation will be Hughes/Sanchez/Chamberlain/Betances/Wang. And, like a Royal Flush that Yankee rotation more often than not will be the winning hand in baseball, year-after-year.

It looks like we have CotC to blame for the moniker.

Hmm, H2.50 kept changing the makeup of the Royal Flush as time went on. Here's his sig at one point:

Royal Flush: Hughes, Sabathia, Betances, Brackman, Banuelos.
    Mr.Muhozi is probably remembering one of the many versions.

I still lurk occasionally, but it did lose a lot of the fun when the soapbox died and the game threads became ban-city. Now it's just player X performance threads updated whenever said player does exceptionally well or incredibly terrible.

No bobcat sightings anymore.
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by TheDynasty26 View Post
    I still lurk occasionally, but it did lose a lot of the fun when the soapbox died and the game threads became ban-city. Now it's just player X performance threads updated whenever said player does exceptionally well or incredibly terrible.

No bobcat sightings anymore.
    If you don't plan on winning, you might as well just go home.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

i predict 158-4
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Tremdous?

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Tremdous?
    Yeah, weird. I thought the correct form was "tremdious."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information