+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: 2013 Vernon Wells

Wells has got to step it up or step out of the lineup.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Legend

Something has got to change in LF.
    Cannot wait until Grandy gets back.
    Vern has got to go. I wouldn't even feel comfortable with him on the bench.

lol let's get vernon wells
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Much as his performance has sucked for the last 45 days or so, you can't fault what Vernon did today.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Much as his performance has sucked for the last 45 days or so, you can't fault what Vernon did today.
    We finally found his role, occasional pinch hitter for chris stewart

NYYF MVP

I've always liked Wells, I think maybe he ran out of gas and by him sitting on the bench he's filling his tank..

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I've always liked Wells, I think maybe he ran out of gas and by him sitting on the bench he's filling his tank..
    If he runs out of gas after 2 weeks of full playing time then he is a bad player.

NYYF Cy Young

He ended a streak of 16 consecutive games without having multiple hits.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

I wish the FO had the stones to cut him. They honestly got a really nice month+ out of him, at a time they desperately needed him. But he's back to square one, and has been an absolute albatross offensively (and soft defensively too). They can replicate his current production obviously with pretty much a "pick any" mL OF strategy. And if the goals were to bridge the offense until they got some players back from the DL, and to save money against next year's salary cap... well they got part of the way there on the first goal and would still acheive the second goal.

Unless they are somehow of the belief that Wells has another .911 OPS month or two like April in the hopper without another .290 OPS month like June to go along with it, let's cut bait and test out some young, cost-controlled guys - even ones with blemishes (like Fernando Martinez). Wells shouldn't be blocking anyone, and unless he shows signs of being overmatched in the immediate future, Almonte should not be sent down when Granderson returns.

over the last 2 weeks / 32 PAs
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Less than that with his 0-fer yesterday. Last 8 weeks:
    .182 .200 .220 .420

NYYF MVP

I will agree that Wells is heavy and lazy, but he is also very talented when he's in shape.. Seems like the heat has had an affect on him, which leads back to his weight and him not doing what it takes to be at his best.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Less than that with his 0-fer yesterday. Last 8 weeks:
    .182 .200 .220 .420
    I don't get the point of rehashing his putrid streak when he's been hitting better of late.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

mirage
    always reasonable

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    Yeah, of course he gets on track basically the day after I recommended he be cut.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I don't get the point of rehashing his putrid streak when he's been hitting better of late.
    Because he's really bad and there's about. 2.3% chance he keeps his line over .280/.320/.400 the rest of the way.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Because he's really bad and there's about. 2.3% chance he keeps his line over .280/.320/.400 the rest of the way.
    It's a game of streaks. He's one of the streakier hitters in the game.

He had a beastly April, bad May, historically bad June, and now what appears to be a good July.

Just gotta hope that Girardi rides his hot streaks and limits his PA in his cold streaks.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I have nothing against the guy but he needs to go. He's no longer capable of helping a team win games. Stats since May 22, not including tonight, per baseball-reference.com
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I will agree that Wells is heavy and lazy, but he is also very talented when he's in shape.. Seems like the heat has had an affect on him, which leads back to his weight and him not doing what it takes to be at his best.
    I don't understand a lot of your posts. It's like you're trolling.

Wells is heavy and lazy? You know this how?

The guy hasn't been good in years. He's simply not a good player. Even when he was a good player (he's had 4 good years out like 14), he wasn't, for the most part, the kind of player who has peripherals to sustain success.

And now he's 34. He's not good. He can get in whatever shape you think is good shape and can try really, really hard (nobody has ever called Wells lazy by the way; so this your amazing deduction based on his should-have-been expected performance), he's not going to turn the clock back seven years. Sorry.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    I have nothing against the guy but he needs to go. He's no longer capable of helping a team win games. Stats since May 22, not including tonight, per baseball-reference.com
    Holy smokes, I knew he was bad but didn't realize it was that bad. That's like, historically horrible.

So frustrating to watch a player like him, who has had a really ncie career but with not much left, continue to swing and miss at pitches down and away and up at his eyes. Even more frustrating he has to hit in the middle of the order by default

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBorder79 View Post
    I don't understand a lot of your posts. It's like you're trolling.

Wells is heavy and lazy? You know this how?

The guy hasn't been good in years. He's simply not a good player. Even when he was a good player (he's had 4 good years out like 14), he wasn't, for the most part, the kind of player who has peripherals to sustain success.

And now he's 34. He's not good. He can get in whatever shape you think is good shape and can try really, really hard (nobody has ever called Wells lazy by the way; so this your amazing deduction based on his should-have-been expected performance), he's not going to turn the clock back seven years. Sorry.
    Why the attack? I happen to like Wells, the reason I said that was he played very well for a good month, even his fielding was great.. Unless he was hurt then what other reason could he have for falling off the face of the earth? Last I heard I'm allowed to have an opinion, what makes you a Wells expert, other people are killing him yet you single me out... I got you number, You figure I'm an easy mark, how wrong you are!

I don't mind being criticized, but you made it personal.. Another thing at 34yrs old he shouldn't wear out after one month!

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    So frustrating to watch a player like him, who has had a really ncie career but with not much left, continue to swing and miss at pitches down and away and up at his eyes. Even more frustrating he has to hit in the middle of the order by default
    That's where I disagree. He had another lousy day at the plate.

Top 2nd: One out single up the middle on an 0-2 count. Decent.

Top 4th: Two out, runner on 2B (Overbay) - he looks at a 1-0 fastball right down Broadway that should have been crushed. It's an RBI situation, he got his pitch...and he took it for a strike. Proceeded to strike out on a 3-2 slider out of the strike zone.

Top 6th: One out, runner on 2B (Overbay again) - whiffs on a 2-2 fastball that was at least a foot high, maybe more.

Top 7th: Two out, runners on 2B and 3B - falls behind 0-2 and grounds weakly to third to end the inning

He hasn't just been bad the past two months. He's been downright pathetic. There's no justification in batting him in the middle of the order. He can't protect anyone and when pitchers challenge him he's practically an automatic out at this point - especially with runners on base. I'd prefer Chris Stewart bat cleanup. I'm serious. He can at least put the ball in play and is capable of putting together decent at-bats.

NYYF Legend

His arm has seemed to defy the ages. FWIW.

Someone needs to hide his glove. The Yanks are in a pennant race and Giradi puts this guy in RF for two games & he misses two catches.

Thread Information