+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: 2013 Vernon Wells

At least the Yankees are only on the hook for $2 million per and he can be released.

NYYF Cy Young

He had a hit, run, and RBI today. It's the first game since May 20 that he had all of those.

NYYF Legend

Vernon is looking like the 4th OF we all thought we would get...
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    At least the Yankees are only on the hook for $2 million per and he can be released.
    ??

They are on the hook for 14 million, bro

NYYF Legend

I hate you
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

It's almost like Cashman was praised way too early for the Wells pickup.

Atrocious.

He really shouldn't be hitting 4th.

NYYF Legend

He is becoming as useless as we all thought he would be.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He really shouldn't be hitting 4th.
    I can't say Thomas Neal hitting 5th is any better.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I can't say Thomas Neal hitting 5th is any better.
    Not ideally, but he has at least looked competent at the plate today. Wells seems lost.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

On the bright side, at least the Yankees don't have Nick Punto as their leadoff hitter.
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    On the bright side, at least the Yankees don't have Nick Punto as their leadoff hitter.
    Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    This is something I still find unclear. I know the Angels are paying the majority of his salary for the next 2 years, but if the Yankees release him do the Angels still owe that money? Or do the Yankees now owe the entirety of the contract and the Angels are completely free?

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    This is something I still find unclear. I know the Angels are paying the majority of his salary for the next 2 years, but if the Yankees release him do the Angels still owe that money? Or do the Yankees now owe the entirety of the contract and the Angels are completely free?
    Vernon wells counts for something like 7-10 million against the luxury tax in 2013, and the Yankees are actually paying him 10-13 million thanks to the Angels. He counts as $0 against the luxury tax in 2014, and the Yankees are actually paying him 2 million.
    If they release him or trade him, the Angels will still be obligated to send money to cover the amounts owed to Vernon Wells that they agreed to.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerkface View Post
    Vernon wells counts for something like 7-10 million against the luxury tax in 2013, and the Yankees are actually paying him 10-13 million thanks to the Angels. He counts as $0 against the luxury tax in 2014, and the Yankees are actually paying him 2 million.
    If they release him or trade him, the Angels will still be obligated to send money to cover the amounts owed to Vernon Wells that they agreed to.
    There were reports that he'd actually somehow count as a CREDIT to the '14 luxury tax calculation. I thought like $2MM or $3MM. Is that not accurate?

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

http://mlb.si.com/2013/03/24/vernon-.../?sct=uk_t2_a6

Vernon Wells, who has spent the past two years unable to live up to a seven-year, $126 million contract that still has two years and $42 million remaining. The Angels will pick up the vast majority of the 34-year-old outfielder’s salary...the Yankees will pay about $13 million over the two years...

...For as much salary as they’re taking on, the Yankees have at least figured out a way to make it work to their advantage for luxury tax purposes. The luxury tax isn’t computed based on a team’s actual payroll... Instead it uses the average annual value of the contracts, which in Wells’ case comes to “only” $18 million a year ($126 million divided by seven years). On the other hand, the cash considerations are applicable to the team’s actual payroll. According to the New York Daily News, of the $13 million the Yankees are paying, $12 million will be paid this year, leaving the Angels to cover the other $9 million. That will push the Yankees’ taxes even higher this year, but with the Angels paying $20 million out of next year’s $21 million, the Yankees would actually get a $2 million tax credit ($20 million minus $18 million), leaving them a bit more leeway to limbo under the $189 million limit.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

According to Cot's, the Yankees are paying $2.4M of his salary next year, with the Angels picking up $18.6M. So the Yankees would get an extra $600,000 to play with. Unfortunately, they also have Vernon Wells.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Unfortunately, they also have Vernon Wells.
    Yes, but to fill a roster spot for no money is a good deal when you're trying to cut payroll.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yes, but to fill a roster spot for no money is a good deal when you're trying to cut payroll.
    Talk about skewed priorities..... better to have a zero in a roster spot than fill it with a productive player that costs money.

Just another consequence of Hal's top down/wish fulfillment drive to put bottom line over on the field product

Sure, it would be nice to have a championship caliber team of home grown cost controlled youngsters, but the way to go about that is to procure and develop players, not decide mid stream to go cheap and sacrifice competitiveness for $$$$

He could have had the best of both worlds by spending big before the cap on int'l was put in effect ( Darvish, Cespedes ), but chose to sit on the pile of cash
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    There were reports that he'd actually somehow count as a CREDIT to the '14 luxury tax calculation. I thought like $2MM or $3MM. Is that not accurate?
    That was what the CBA made it seem (My posts about it are in the original trade thread), but apparently MLB poo poo'd it or something. So the best they can do is zero it out. If I were the Yankees I'd argue the letter of the law (tax credit) but maybe Hal doesnt care.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    A bad player is never a good value.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

it is almost hard to believe but he is 9 for his last 90 and it does not seem like Vernon will ever get out of this slump. He is poison to the middle of the line-up right now.

Zoilo Almonte will not crack this lineup due to Wells' veteran sex appeal. Only in Yankee Baseball, a terrible veteran is automatically a promised upgrade over an unproven rookie.

Vernon Wells went 0-3 and is down to .221/.263/.368 (68 wRC+) on the season. He admitted to getting dominated by a pitching machine before the game — “I got dominated by the machine for a little bit, then I came through,” he said to Chad Jennings. Yep.
    Did his name ever come up in the Mitchell report? Because goddamn.

Addicted Member

Wells is 6 for 59 in June. That's a whopping .106 BA. The team is lucky they are only 3.5 games out.

Thread Information