+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

2013 Vernon Wells

I don't see such a thread in this forum, so I will start it.

It's only three plus games so far, but if we keep getting anything close to what Vernon has given us to date (4 for 12, 2 HR, 4 RBI), I will be extremely happy.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Re: 2013 Vernon Wells

good for entertainemnt at least
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Is "2013" really needed in the thread title?

yes, because he's here for 2 years
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Is "2013" really needed in the thread title?
    Well, as pointed out, he is here for two seasons.

And I didn't want to simply label it as the Wells thread, as someone might think we were talking about David Wells.

Simply listing it as Vernon might lead someone to think we were talking about Mickey Vernon or Lefty Gomez

:sarcastic:

NYYF Legend

2013 Vernon Wells........what? I don't get it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    2013 Vernon Wells........what? I don't get it.
    If he gives us a .286/.375/.714/1.089 slash line in 2013, I don't care if you get it - I'LL TAKE IT.

Of course, I realize that it is unlikely that this hot start will continue, but I do expect Vernon to be much better than other posters have suggested in criticizing this trade.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

What does it say about this team that Wells desperately needs to provide offense for them to have any hope of scoring runs? From the way this lineup looks right now, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Wells can possibly do. Not much else to get excited about.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

He has looked all right from what I've seen, outside of an ugly AB against Scherzer. Still has a good glove and arm it seems as well.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    What does it say about this team that Wells desperately needs to provide offense for them to have any hope of scoring runs? From the way this lineup looks right now, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Wells can possibly do. Not much else to get excited about.
    This team desperately needs Cano to come back to life. Wells hitting just makes us a more respectable offense or at least average until the walking wounded start to come back.

I am with you, though. I'm curious/hopeful for Wells. B/T him, Hafner, Youkilis, and Boesch, this team has become really interesting in a bizarro way.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    This team desperately needs Cano to come back to life. Wells hitting just makes us a more respectable offense or at least average until the walking wounded start to come back.

I am with you, though. I'm curious/hopeful for Wells. B/T him, Hafner, Youkilis, and Boesch, this team has become really interesting in a bizarro way.
    Hmmm. Maybe Brian Cashman isn't the evil idiot that some have made him out to be. Of course, it's way too early to confirm.
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe Brian Cashman isn't the evil idiot that some have made him out to be. Of course, it's way too early to confirm.
    Well, that's just not even within the realm of possibility.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    If he gives us a .286/.375/.714/1.089 slash line in 2013, I don't care if you get it - I'LL TAKE IT.

Of course, I realize that it is unlikely that this hot start will continue, but I do expect Vernon to be much better than other posters have suggested in criticizing this trade.
    The interesting thing is that Wells had one full atrocious year. Last year he had a poor year in an abbreviated amount of at bats. 2011 was terrible. But 2010 was excellent. He also has a career where he's thrown bad years in there almost out of nowhere and rebounded to be well above average afterwards.

I'm not jumping on his bandwagon or anything, but the belief that there is no way he is a good ballplayer this year simply doesn't match his career arc. There is a very real- however you may want to spin it- chance he's not a bad ballplayer, and a reasonable chance he's a pretty effective one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    The interesting thing is that Wells had one full atrocious year. Last year he had a poor year in an abbreviated amount of at bats. 2011 was terrible. But 2010 was excellent. He also has a career where he's thrown bad years in there almost out of nowhere and rebounded to be well above average afterwards.

I'm not jumping on his bandwagon or anything, but the belief that there is no way he is a good ballplayer this year simply doesn't match his career arc. There is a very real- however you may want to spin it- chance he's not a bad ballplayer, and a reasonable chance he's a pretty effective one.
    One?
    2007 - 149 G - 642 PA - 85 OPS+
    2009 - 158 G - 684 PA - 86 OPS+
    2011 - 131 G - 529 PA - 84 OPS+

He's had good years too no doubt but he's also has numerous horrible years too.

Hey I hope he's revitalized in the Bronx and puts up one of his 120 - 140 OPS+ season but I'm not counting on it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    One?
    2007 - 149 G - 642 PA - 85 OPS+
    2009 - 158 G - 684 PA - 86 OPS+
    2011 - 131 G - 529 PA - 84 OPS+

He's had good years too no doubt but he's also has numerous horrible years too.

Hey I hope he's revitalized in the Bronx and puts up one of his 120 - 140 OPS+ season but I'm not counting on it.
    I know, but he rebounded very well from his other two atrocious years. I meant that he's had one atrocious year since his last good one. My point was that people are automatically assuming he's going to stink, when he's had a career that clearly illustrates that performance has not been dictated by recent past.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    I know, but he rebounded very well from his other two atrocious years. I meant that he's had one atrocious year since his last good one. My point was that people are automatically assuming he's going to stink, when he's had a career that clearly illustrates that performance has not been dictated by recent past.
    Oh I agree he could quite possibly be good. But given his age (35). Past seasons of relative badness (only 1 in last 4 better than 100 OPS+). The fact that he is a RH power hitter with most of his power to LCF. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he was better than 100 OPS+ at the end of the year.

But I agree it's not given that he's going to stink.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Well, that's just not even within the realm of possibility.
    trading for wells and taking on a portion of the contract is not defensible by any stretch of the imagination, imo... the fact that he seems to be back on the juice is incidental and lucky for cashman
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

gotta say, Wells is pretty locked in right now
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

i find his walk total encouraging. still a pretty dead pull guy but as long as he can hit the fastball, it's all good.

he's been horrid against fastballs the past couple years on the angels, but is doing fairly well this year so far.
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

He's already exceeded my expectations.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I don't see such a thread in this forum, so I will start it.

It's only three plus games so far, but if we keep getting anything close to what Vernon has given us to date (4 for 12, 2 HR, 4 RBI), I will be extremely happy.
    That would project to .333, 108 HR, 216 RBIs over the course of a season. I'd sign on the dotted line for that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Michael View Post
    That would project to .333, 108 HR, 216 RBIs over the course of a season. I'd sign on the dotted line for that.
    Stick - I know you are a numbers guy . . . and I like your extrapolation skills

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    gotta say, Wells is pretty locked in right now
    He's got that short sweet swing going now
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    trading for wells and taking on a portion of the contract is not defensible by any stretch of the imagination, imo... the fact that he seems to be back on the juice is incidental and lucky for cashman
    What's not defensible about it? Is it going to hurt any potential acquisitions this year?
    Team Northern Lights

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

If Wells can continue to play well, it sets up a possible trade of Granderson.
    Complaining is a choice

Thread Information