+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Results 676 to 700 of 717
  1. #676

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Our GM kept Hughes and Joba well beyond their sell-by dates.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  2. #677

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Phil Hughes seems like a solid human being who never shied away from the media and criticism. That being said, I never want to see him throw another pitch in a Yankee uniform.

  3. #678
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Phil pitched better than some of the other Starters over the past 4 weeks. Joe had too quick a hook with Phil.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  4. #679
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nassau County

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    He became the eighth Yankee to have a season with at least 10 more losses than wins.

  5. #680
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Phil pitched better than some of the other Starters over the past 4 weeks. Joe had too quick a hook with Phil.
    Better as opposed to what....the Hindenburg landing? To me, Phil looked shell-shocked virtually all year long and if anything, his pitches had to be absolutely perfectly placed or he became a batting practice pitcher.

  6. #681
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Better as opposed to what....the Hindenburg landing? To me, Phil looked shell-shocked virtually all year long and if anything, his pitches had to be absolutely perfectly placed or he became a batting practice pitcher.
    Better than CC, better than Kuroda. It's tough to pitch when your right fielder misplays an out into a double in the third inning of a 1-1 game and the manager gets the bullpen going for the 3rd inning in a row.

    I agree, he was awful this year, but he didn't pitch poorly after he was re-inserted into the rotation after Huff took his spot.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  7. #682
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    While Hughes has been one of the most brutally disappointing players in all my years of fandom, I blame the organization for its failure to properly develop him. Years ago, when he was already struggling, they should have sent him back to the minors to work out the kinks, but there was this sense that he had nothing more left to prove there. This had less to do with what he did or didn't have to prove, and more to do with learning how to pitch when hitters start becoming more familiar with him. Learning how to adjust to guys coming up to face him for the third and fourth time in the lineup. Learning how to pitch through adversity. Learning how to put more hitters away after getting two strikes on them. All the things he has been an epic fail in learning how to do at the major league level. This is probably more the fault of the Yankee organization than Phil himself. Wish the NYY were better at this sort of thing.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  8. #683
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    While Hughes has been one of the most brutally disappointing players in all my years of fandom, I blame the organization for its failure to properly develop him. Years ago, when he was already struggling, they should have sent him back to the minors to work out the kinks, but there was this sense that he had nothing more left to prove there. This had less to do with what he did or didn't have to prove, and more to do with learning how to pitch when hitters start becoming more familiar with him. Learning how to adjust to guys coming up to face him for the third and fourth time in the lineup. Learning how to pitch through adversity. Learning how to put more hitters away after getting two strikes on them. All the things he has been an epic fail in learning how to do at the major league level. This is probably more the fault of the Yankee organization than Phil himself. Wish the NYY were better at this sort of thing.
    But they did send to the minors. Twice, first in 08 after his rehab assignment expired and then to start the 09 season. 2010 he was an allstar, 2011 he had dead arm and was injured most of the year. By 2012 he was decent but also out of options so they did all they could in that regard.

    Joba is the guy they had multiple chances to send back to the minors and never did once, even stretching him out from a 1 inning pitcher to a starter at the major league level.

  9. #684

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    While Hughes has been one of the most brutally disappointing players in all my years of fandom, I blame the organization for its failure to properly develop him. Years ago, when he was already struggling, they should have sent him back to the minors to work out the kinks, but there was this sense that he had nothing more left to prove there. This had less to do with what he did or didn't have to prove, and more to do with learning how to pitch when hitters start becoming more familiar with him. Learning how to adjust to guys coming up to face him for the third and fourth time in the lineup. Learning how to pitch through adversity. Learning how to put more hitters away after getting two strikes on them. All the things he has been an epic fail in learning how to do at the major league level. This is probably more the fault of the Yankee organization than Phil himself. Wish the NYY were better at this sort of thing.
    While I am not saying the Yankees managed Hughes (and Joba) perfectly, at some point you have to hold the player accountable when they have been given repeated chances to perform and secure a spot and they crap the bed each time. If anything, I think the organization gave him too long a leash, when it became clear that he would not have success on a consistent basis as a starter. Phil Hughes is simply not a good pitcher.

  10. #685

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Is it just me or do u guys getthe feeling that phil is gonna pull an AJ with the right organizationthat simply teaches him to aim downwards and develop a 2seam....

  11. #686
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    This organization is just putrid at developing starting pitching.

    Absolutely suck at it. There is overwhelming evidence to support this.

    Their " win now, worry about this year, not the future " mentality is detrimental to player development ... positional players and especially pitchers. Too much pressure, no patience, no time, very little room for inevitable failure and growing pains that most if not all pitchers experience.

    Its really not that hard to see the error in their ways. Rinse and repeat for basically the last 15 seasons.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

  12. #687
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    This organization is just putrid at developing starting pitching.

    Absolutely suck at it. There is overwhelming evidence to support this.

    Their " win now, worry about this year, not the future " mentality is detrimental to player development ... positional players and especially pitchers. Too much pressure, no patience, no time, very little room for inevitable failure and growing pains that most if not all pitchers experience.

    Its really not that hard to see the error in their ways. Rinse and repeat for basically the last 15 seasons.
    I totally agree and it is a crying shame. If a young pitcher is successful, like Nova, is seems to be a chance development.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

  13. #688
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I totally agree and it is a crying shame. If a young pitcher is successful, like Nova, is seems to be a chance development.
    if they had to, they would throw Nova into the bullpen just as easily as they did Hughes and Chamberlain. If they felt it would better their chances at a postseason berth, they would set Nova's track as a starter on the back burner to their thirst for perpetual postseason play.

    Win - now mentality.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

  14. #689

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Every single one of the 30 MLB clubs would toss its equivalent of Joba/Hughes if it believed it improved its chances of making the playoffs.

    Every last one.

  15. #690
    NYYF HOF

    cupcollector99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West of the sheep farm.

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    I remember Phil's second game in the bigs against Texas. It seems like a million years ago.
    So long Phranchise..
    Beware the Bobcat!!!


  16. #691

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    if they had to, they would throw Nova into the bullpen just as easily as they did Hughes and Chamberlain. If they felt it would better their chances at a postseason berth, they would set Nova's track as a starter on the back burner to their thirst for perpetual postseason play.

    Win - now mentality.
    I hear this all the time- the mismanagement excuse- and I just don't buy it. Plenty of young pitchers have pitched in both the bullpen and the starting totation and had success. Look at Adam Wainwright. Joba hurt his arm, and then everything else, and just was never the same. Phil was never a good starting pitcher, outside from the first half or so of 2010 (small sample size which quickly corrected itself starting in June). It has far less to do with mismanagement in Hughes' case, and far more that he is simply not a good pitcher.

  17. #692
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Hughes post-hammy injury was a lot different than Hughes in the minors. Different mechanics, different stuff, everything changed. Joba was just a whole different beast -- they drafted him and tweaked with his mechanics to have him sitting in the upper 90's and then tweaked it again following his shoulder injury.

    I'm not sure how successful either would have been in a different organization, and while both share most of the blame for how awful they were, the Yankees definitely had a role in their butchering.

  18. #693
    Addicted Member
    oneill96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Portlandia, USA.

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Hughes will never pitch for this team again. I have that to sustain me at the end
    of a crappy season.

  19. #694
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Beach, NH

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ober0n98 View Post
    Is it just me or do u guys getthe feeling that phil is gonna pull an AJ with the right organizationthat simply teaches him to aim downwards and develop a 2seam....
    I can pretty much guarantee that this will be the case once he leaves NY.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  20. #695

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    He'll be a 15 game winner again somewhere. But not here.

    I'm really happy that I don't have to sit through his predictable 10 pitch at-bats, soaring homeruns allowed, and inability to get a ground ball with people on base (that doesn't go through the infield).

    I'm also happy I don't have to be reminded of how poorly we were all duped by his hype. Oh, and also so I don't have to be reminded of how awful our organization is at finding and developing young talent.

  21. #696
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    I'd offer him a Minor League contract and let him work on things down below.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

  22. #697
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    northern California

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    He'll be a 15 game winner again somewhere. But not here.

    I'm really happy that I don't have to sit through his predictable 10 pitch at-bats, soaring homeruns allowed, and inability to get a ground ball with people on base (that doesn't go through the infield).

    I'm also happy I don't have to be reminded of how poorly we were all duped by his hype. Oh, and also so I don't have to be reminded of how awful our organization is at finding and developing young talent.
    I wasn't duped. (well, OK, not after his first season)
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

  23. #698
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Good bye, Mr. Hughes. We'll remember the good times and forget about the rest. May you reach your coveted ceiling with the Twins.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  24. #699
    NYYF Legend

    -tz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NYC

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Good bye, Mr. Hughes. We'll remember the good times and forget about the rest. May you reach your coveted ceiling with the Twins.
    Amen.

  25. #700
    NYYF Cy Young

    Messerwhitescooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the 'burbs

    Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

    Funny, the one game I went to this year, he pitched great. Out-dueled Bartolo Colon.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts