+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

So, I'm about as down on Phil as anyone else. I didn't see the game today, but looked at his line and thought, "Well, that doesn't look too bad." But then I'm seeing some pretty critical posts. Why did his line look so much better than his actual performance? Appreciate any summaries...
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

When Chris Nelson takes you deep you've got issues.

Actually today was one of Phil's better starts but when you start getting exited about 6 IP 3R starts, it's time to move on from that pitcher.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    So, I'm about as down on Phil as anyone else. I didn't see the game today, but looked at his line and thought, "Well, that doesn't look too bad." But then I'm seeing some pretty critical posts. Why did his line look so much better than his actual performance? Appreciate any summaries...
    He wasn't that bad. The HR to Nelson felt a little deflating but this loss is on Wells and Girardi for batting him 5th.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Who cares about the quality start. The Angels offense isn't that great outside of Trout. He needs to go to the bullpen where has experienced success. He will be coming in throwing 96+ every time (he hit 96 in his start today).
    That's misguided reasoning. Trout is a top 3 hitter in the game and he is surrounded by Trumbo, Aybar, Shuck, and Hamilton. Not world beaters, but certainly major league hitters.

Losing to Nelson is horrible, but he isn't the only pitcher to lose to Nelson this series.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    If only he had a different skin tone, it would be so much easier for fans to judge him with the harshness he deserves.
    Perhaps he's really a very light-skinned quintroon?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    That's misguided reasoning. Trout is a top 3 hitter in the game and he is surrounded by Trumbo, Aybar, Shuck, and Hamilton. Not world beaters, but certainly major league hitters.

Losing to Nelson is horrible, but he isn't the only pitcher to lose to Nelson this series.
    He now has 1 win in his last 10 starts. Wins mean nothing, I know, but seriously we should really try stopping to defend him and advocate his move to the bullpen. It's best for this team.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    JMHO maybe because he & Wilson were just about neck & neck in the 6th inning approaching 100 pitches apeice (IIRC). The game went just a few minutes short of 4 hours because of those two.
    (Believe Nelson had full counts on almost every batter ).

But only 3 runs in 6 innings for Phil -- was very pleasantly surprised. If not for Logan & the slam, it's a new ballgame in the 9th.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He wasn't that bad. The HR to Nelson felt a little deflating but this loss is on Wells and Girardi for batting him 5th.
    But they were facing a lefty!!!

It makes me soooo angry to see him batting fifth, it seriously completely ignores all common sense. He has a .578 OPS since May for Christ sake.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I'll take 6 IP and 3 runs from him. Which is sad considering what his potential once was.

Phil is the 5th starter.
    I think if you ask any major league club, they'd take 6IP, 3R from their 5th starter every time.
    The Yankees didn't hit yesterday, bottom line.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    But they were facing a lefty!!!

It makes me soooo angry to see him batting fifth, it seriously completely ignores all common sense. He has a .578 OPS since May for Christ sake.
    Wilson is much tougher on lefties so I can forgive Joe for having Wells in the lineup (otherwise you might as well just DFA him, which incidentally I would be fine with), but it made no sense at all to bat him 5th.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    He now has 1 win in his last 10 starts. Wins mean nothing, I know, but seriously we should really try stopping to defend him and advocate his move to the bullpen. It's best for this team.
    I won't argue that, but this last game was a solid outing.

If he could give us more of that, he wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately, bt him, Pettitte, and CC we are going to need at least one of them to be more than solid. Pineda would be perfect to replace him, but of course like every other guy wearing pinstripes........he's injured.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Wilson is much tougher on lefties so I can forgive Joe for having Wells in the lineup (otherwise you might as well just DFA him, which incidentally I would be fine with), but it made no sense at all to bat him 5th.
    Again, like with Hughes (though not unwarranted), hate blinds some around here.

Wells hits lefties very well (any metric supports this). However, Overbay is the polar opposite. If I were Joey G.....I would have gambled on Wells playing 1st, especially with THE flyball pitcher in.

Hitting him 5th was a bad idea.

NYYF Triple Crown

He could get his tenth home loss. His 9 home losses lead MLB this year (the next most is 7) and is the most by a Yankee since Melido Perez had 9 in 1993. The last Yankee with 10 home losses in a season was Andy Hawkins in 1989.

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

The Pirates should sign him. Look what they did with AJ and Liriano.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Enough, already. If they are to have even a shadow of a chance of making the playoffs, Hughes must go.

Daniel Barbarisi @DanBarbarisi
    Joe Girardi on whether hes thought about replacing hughes w/ David Huff "obviously you're thinking all the time..." cryptic but open to it

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    He could get his tenth home loss. His 9 home losses lead MLB this year (the next most is 7) and is the most by a Yankee since Melido Perez had 9 in 1993. The last Yankee with 10 home losses in a season was Andy Hawkins in 1989.
    That is because typically, bad pitchers are not given enough starts to lose that many at home. Here, the Yanks keep trotting Phil out there every 5th day. Make it stop!
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

And I thought AJ Burnett's face made my blood boil...
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

NYYF Legend

Watching Joe on the postgame. Certainly sounds like Phil has made his last start barring injury. At least there is that...hopefully not too little too late.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

Need to play near .700 ball to make playoffs, can't afford a loss every 5th day. Almost mathematically impossible.

Don't even make this guy a QO.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar

I can just see Hughes next season with a new team and pitching coach who discovers and corrects a mechanical flaw that miraculously turns him around.

Sadly, that will never happen if he remains a Yankee.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Cy Young

He always seems to say things in the post game like he threw too many sliders, or his pitch selection should have been different...Maybe what he needs also is a catcher who guides him better than the current twosome? I remember when Andy was young, he didn't want to call his own game but wanted the catcher to just tell him what to do.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I can just see Hughes next season with a new team and pitching coach who discovers and corrects a mechanical flaw that miraculously turns him around.

Sadly, that will never happen if he remains a Yankee.
    Rothschild has a pretty strong reputation. I was kinda hoping he'd be able to do that
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Thread Information