+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    if he puts up a good to great year, as the youngest pitcher of any worth on the FA market, he's going to get a really, really nice contract from someone.

it's going to likely come down to how true the rumors are that they're going to let their $189M dreams fully go, especially given his HR/flyball tendencies and sketchy health history.

to be fair, his first two starts of this season never should have happened.

the Yankees rushed him after Nova sucking seemed to send them into a panic and, unsurprisingly, the results weren't positive.
    Well said. Excluding his first two starts his ERA is 1.92 & his WHIP is exactly 1.00. He's struck out thirty batters while only walking five. He hasn't allowed a home run in his last three starts.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Well said. Excluding his first two starts his ERA is 1.92 & his WHIP is exactly 1.00. He's struck out thirty batters while only walking five. He hasn't allowed a home run in his last three starts.
    Holy carp!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    That's extremely encouraging. Hughes pitching this well as the fourth starter makes a huge difference for this team.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    93.3 on the 4-seamer today..only saw about 15 or so pitches of his but he looked good again.
    And Hughes maintained that velocity through his 117th pitch, hitting 93 on his final FB of the game. He's been consistent in this regard. Physically, dude is a total stud. It seems like he is finally settling into his definitive repertoire: The dominant fastball that will always be his bread and butter, curveball more prominently vs. LHH's, slider more so to righties, and the occasional changeup that's become sustainable even if he doesn't really need it all that much. Ultimately, it'll always come down to the 4-seamer for Phil, and it's been dynamite in his last 4 starts.

Cashman won't let Hughes walk. He loves the kid; Cash pushed his chips in on Phil when J. Santana was available all those years ago, and he's not letting him walk now, that's for damn sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    That's extremely encouraging. Hughes pitching this well as the fourth starter makes a huge difference for this team.
    His control was about the only thing that carried over from the minors. The homers also seem to be under control; I don't know what the hell happened, but he looks like a much different pitcher (mechanics and repertoire wise). Cool stuff.

NYYF Legend

just keep repeating to yourself, phil: contract year, contract year

his mechanics are definitely different... looks a little more like he did back in the minors and when he was first called up (and blew out his hamstring during the no-hitter against texas)
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Outstanding job today.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    And Hughes maintained that velocity through his 117th pitch, hitting 93 on his final FB of the game. He's been consistent in this regard. Physically, dude is a total stud. It seems like he is finally settling into his definitive repertoire: The dominant fastball that will always be his bread and butter, curveball more prominently vs. LHH's, slider more so to righties, and the occasional changeup that's become sustainable even if he doesn't really need it all that much. Ultimately, it'll always come down to the 4-seamer for Phil, and it's been dynamite in his last 4 starts.
    Hughes curve has actually gone from his attempted out pitch to a pitch he more uses to get strikes while behind/even in the count. Its interesting because it was his big pitch as a prospect and coming up and he has constantly tried to work with it despite it getting slower and loopier. Now with the slider he mostly uses it to get strike 1 and come back into counts but rarely as an out pitch.

WIth strike 2 its the FB, Slider, and Change.

His last 4 starts

vs OAKW 4-28.0400029

vs TORW 3-26.0722019

@ TBW 4-37.0622026

vs ARIL 2-67.0622206

28ip 23hits 6er 5bb's 30K's 2 hr's allowed.

Since his poor first 2 starts(his spring training?) has really turned it on.

His first 2 starts

7ip 9r 8ER 2BB's 4K's 3hr's allowed.

Whats really encouraging is 3 of his last 4 starts have been at home where his flyball tendencies dont project well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...n23/george.jpg

We've been here before with Hughesie. His mechanics change somewhat, and he dominates for a stretch, and then the scouting reports are updated and the league figures him out. Let's see if he can sustain this. He is a streaky pitcher to say the least.

Rick Cerone's #10 is retired! The Yankee Captain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pippy View Post
    We've been here before with Hughesie. His mechanics change somewhat, and he dominates for a stretch, and then the scouting reports are updated and the league figures him out. Let's see if he can sustain this. He is a streaky pitcher to say the least.
    If we've seen this before it's been a long, long time. When was the last time Phil gave us this much distance in games, with these 110+ pitches, with this many strikeouts and maintaining his velocity up around 93, 94 throughout? I think you're selling his last four starts a bit short.

RAB:
    Philthy Phil: As I mentioned in the open thread, this was tied for the best start of Phil Hughes career (by Game Score). He allowed three singles, one double, and one walk in eight scoreless innings of work, striking out nine and throwing a first pitch strike to 21 of 29 batters faced. Eighty-two of his 118 total pitches were strikes including a ridiculous 19 swings and misses the most strikes thrown by a Yankee and sixth most by any pitcher this season. Hughes retired the last ten men he faced and didnt allow a single As player to make it to third base. He was awesome and has been for four starts now.
    19 whiffs is crazy. I didn't get to watch most of the game, but they seemed mostly on the fasball.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yankee Captain View Post
    If we've seen this before it's been a long, long time. When was the last time Phil gave us this much distance in games, with these 110+ pitches, with this many strikeouts and maintaining his velocity up around 93, 94 throughout? I think you're selling his last four starts a bit short.
    Must be a contract year.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

NYYF Legend

AceLike
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I'm tempering my enthusiasm. Though, his last three starts have been pretty good. I wish he could be a tad more economical with his pitches.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

I thought his back was giving him problems.
    Is there a danger of this flaring up again?

This is great! Phil was wonderful yesterday, finally living up to the potential he has struggled to fulfill. A struggle, by the way, that has not been limited to this contract year.

(The suggestion that young ball players only work hard the year before their free agency demonstrates ignorance of how special and how competitive these athletes are.)

I just hope his success continues this year and beyond in pinstripes. A 2.50 era this year would be wonderful.

Rick Cerone's #10 is retired! The Yankee Captain's Avatar

The thing people are forgetting with Hughes is because of his injuries and the moving to and from the bullpen he hasn't consistently built up his innings. He's had two years where he's been healthy and been a full-time starter.

18-8
    4.19 ERA
    176IP

16-13
    4.23ERA
    191IP

In 2011 he had the whole arm fatigue issue or whatever it was so he only had 74 IP. So he went from 176IP down to 74IP and back up to 191IP. Last year if you remember he had a bunch of games in July and August where he was going at least 7 innings. When he won 18 games in 2010 he was pretty much a 6 inning pitcher and anytime he neared 100 pitches the hook was coming.

I thought last year he showed signs of becoming more of a workhorse and he's carried that over to 2013. I think he'll be up over 200+ innings this year after 191 last year. To me that just shows he's finally built up his innings in his arm to be a legitimate starting pitcher without the constraints on his pitch count and/or innings pitched. Obviously, the injuries and moves to the bullpen delayed this process, too. I think we are finally seeing the Hughes we hoped for 6 years ago.

NYYF Legend

These things take time.
    He's soon to be 27 for whatever's sake. I think he has several years of quality pitching ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'm tempering my enthusiasm. Though, his last three starts have been pretty good. I wish he could be a tad more economical with his pitches.
    He's averaging 7 innings over his last four starts, which is CC's season average. I doubt he'll ever be as economical as some guys, but getting 7 innings out of him is super.

Every time I get my hopes up with Hughes, he tends to suck. It almost feels personal.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    He's averaging 7 innings over his last four starts, which is CC's season average. I doubt he'll ever be as economical as some guys, but getting 7 innings out of him is super.
    also, he's averaging ~6.25 innings/game since last May 1st.

is that ideal? ace-like? no, but it's certainly better than MLB average (which was 5.89 last year and is 5.70 so far this season) and runs contrary to the significant amount of talk his supposed inefficiency gets.

I thought this version of Phil Hughes might show up this season. Since his "spring training" period is over, he's been much better. His fastball has much more life and he is maintaining his 92-94 throughout the whole game now.

The biggest difference for me, which I started to see last season, is the development of his slider. He has always had a plus fastball. His changeup has been getting better, but to me, his curveball has been a loopy mess since his bullpen days. When he was throwing the spike curve a while back, it wasn't bad, but now it's not a plus pitch for him.

He does, however, throw it to get a first pitch strike, which i think is what he should limit his curveball to until it improves. Keep using that Fastball/Slider combo, Phil.

NYYF MVP

Looks like Phil when throwing in the 93mph range is pretty much unhittable, when phil puts the squeeze on that ball and lets it go it starts out thigh high and quickly breaks upward or rises, that's why he could throw it right down the pipe and with that late rising break you gotta get lucky to hit it or even foul it off...

Phil looks to be in great shape even his face and neck look strong, and I truly believe that that's the difference in him.. Yes the little extras that players do behind closed doors can and do make a difference, and let's not leave out his very good breaking ball his and new and improved changeup! Right now you are the best and most effective pitcher we have, just keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Looks like Phil when throwing in the 93mph range is pretty much unhittable, when phil puts the squeeze on that ball and lets it go it starts out thigh high and quickly breaks upward or rises, that's why he could throw it right down the pipe and with that late rising break you gotta get lucky to hit it or even foul it off...
    Phil doesn't care about physics.

Thread Information