+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2013 Phil Hughes Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Hughes will have a good year, and Cash will know it's a smart move to keep him in pinstripes through his absolute prime years as a good bet to be a mid-rotation workhorse. A 4 year deal with an option, or even a 5 year deal only takes them through his age 31 season. I don't see how the Yanks can let him go when Kuroda and Andy are knocking on the couch's door and not enough guys beneath him have distinguished themselves.
    The couch has a door?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Hughes will have a good year, and Cash will know it's a smart move to keep him in pinstripes through his absolute prime years as a good bet to be a mid-rotation workhorse. A 4 year deal with an option, or even a 5 year deal only takes them through his age 31 season. I don't see how the Yanks can let him go when Kuroda and Andy are knocking on the couch's door and not enough guys beneath him have distinguished themselves.
    They might want to keep Hughes but the question is do they have the money to keep him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    They might want to keep Hughes but the question is do they have the money to keep him?
    It doesnt make sense to keep him. He is a flyball pitcher that plays at Yankee Stadium and is going to want a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    It doesnt make sense to keep him. He is a flyball pitcher that plays at Yankee Stadium and is going to want a lot of money.
    This is where the injuries to Pineda, Buanelos, Campos, & Bettances, coupled with Nova's regression or lack of progress, is boxing in the Yankees options with regard to Hughes. If they want to be competitive and make the playoffs, I don't think they can trade him this year, and I don't think they will spend the $ to resign him next year. Would be nice to get more than a low 1st round pick for him.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    This is where the injuries to Pineda, Buanelos, Campos, & Bettances, coupled with Nova's regression or lack of progress, is boxing in the Yankees options with regard to Hughes. If they want to be competitive and make the playoffs, I don't think they can trade him this year, and I don't think they will spend the $ to resign him next year. Would be nice to get more than a low 1st round pick for him.
    Yes but they also have Phelps who should slide right in for Nova if he gets sent down to SWB and Warren can fill in if one of thwe SP's go down this year and should be able to compete for a spot in 2014. Its amazing how far Hughes & Joba have fallen after having such high expectations.

Yes but they also have Phelps who should slide right in for Nova if he gets sent down to SWB and Warren can fill in if one of thwe SP's go down this year and should be able to compete for a spot in 2014. Its amazing how far Hughes & Joba have fallen after having such high expectations.
    I was speaking in terms of being able to potentially trade Hughes for a decent haul at some point THIS season. I have to think an NL west team would want his services. The scenarios you describe above still make him indespensible if the Yanks want to stay in the hunt this year.

I was speaking in terms of being able to potentially trade Hughes for a decent haul at some point THIS season. I have to think an NL west team would want his services. The scenarios you describe above still make him indespensible if the Yanks want to stay in the hunt this year.
    With F/A looming for him you think the Yanks can still get something decent?

NYYF Legend

If Hughes can keep (and more likely, improve) an excellent K/BB ratio like he did last year (top 10 in the AL), and curb the home run rate from impossibly wretched to simply bad, he'll still be very valuable despite the fly ball tendancies. By implying he'll want a lot of money you're conceding as much.

Hypothetically, let's use the deal Edwin Jackson got from the Cubs as a resonable comparable to look at. Jackson got 4/$52M, broken down as an $8M signing bonus and $11M annually. He was 29 when he signed the deal with a much better track record than Hughes. Hughes will sign his deal at 27, which is more desirable, but unless he has a great year he won't have quite as solid a recent past. Maybe the Yanks can get him for 4/$48M with (or whitout) a $15M option and the outlook that, hey, he'll be looking at another fat payday at age 30 or 31.

If the trade partner needed a SP for a playoff run and was given a window to work out an extension, sure. Happens all the time, no?

If Hughes can keep (and more likely, improve) an excellent K/BB ratio like he did last year (top 10 in the AL), and curb the home run rate from impossibly wretched to simply bad, he'll still be very valuable despite the fly ball tendancies. By implying he'll want a lot of money you're conceding as much.

Hypothetically, let's use the deal Edwin Jackson got from the Cubs as a resonable comparable to look at. Jackson got 4/$52M, broken down as an $8M signing bonus and $11M annually. He was 29 when he signed the deal with a much better track record than Hughes. Hughes will sign his deal at 27, which is more desirable, but unless he has a great year he won't have quite as solid a recent past. Maybe the Yanks can get him for 4/$48M with (or whitout) a $15M option and the outlook that, hey, he'll be looking at another fat payday at age 30 or 31.
    I'd still let him walk. You want to watch him take the mound for another 4 years?

If the trade partner needed a SP for a playoff run and was given a window to work out an extension, sure. Happens all the time, no?
    Good point

Depending on how his performance compares to the other members of the rotation, I wouldn't have a problem throwing him in the pen for the playoffs. He has more value over the course of the regular season as a starter, but I don't think that's the case in the postseason.

His stuff really does seem to play up in short appearances, for whatever reason (although 2009 was a long time ago), and a back end of Hughes/D-Rob/Mo with maybe Montgomery thrown into the mix would rival the bullpen of any playoff team.

I'd much rather fill the back end of the rotation with cheapies like Nova, Phelps, Warren while paying big bucks for 2/3 front end guys, but that's hard to do when elite SPs don't make it to free agency often. With the likely departure of Pettitte and Kuroda and the uncertainty surrounding Pineda, I think extending Hughes is a good idea. I also think he still has some upside.

NYYF Legend

phil has diarrhea... is questionable for tomorrow
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    You gotta be sh*tting me.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    You gotta be sh*tting me.
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Phil pitching Tuesday?

Per MM:

Meredith Marakovits ‏@M_Marakovits 27s
    Hughes said that he will not pitch tomorrow... Will be in bullpen for next couple days... Expects to start Tuesday after off day #yankees
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Not that he's Carlos Beltran, but he got a top pitching prospect at the deadline as an impending FA.

Desperation does funny things to logical people sometimes.

That being said, I'd give him the qualifying offer, if he doesn't like it, we get a good draft pick, if he does we get another year of him at the beginning of his peak years at a decent price.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GIEHPGj9sI
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dont_ya_know24 View Post
    Afraid to click, considering...
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2014)
    Totus Tuus

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    its funny, trust me.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    It's Chan Ho Park discussing the operation of his digestive tract.

not good.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

They should have let him pitch a few games in the minors before coming up.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

I kinda understand why they started him against Detroit, but I don't understand why Kuroda didn't start or even Nova.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofkings19 View Post
    They should have let him pitch a few games in the minors before coming up.
    IDK, do you really think it would have made a difference? A mediocre pitcher is who he is.

Thread Information