+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Ivan Nova 2013 Performance (?) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    How did the fastball look in terms of movement?
    His 2 seamer moverment is good. But he has little command with it.

He settled down, that's important.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    He settled down, that's important.
    Agreed, the kid kept his composure.

There were some positives to take from this outing. His fastball seemed to have finally movement and some of his two seamers he threw with two strikes were downright filthy. He was actually pretty good outside of the 3rd inning and settled down pretty well the next two.

However he seems to be suffering from what Hughes suffers from when he reaches 2 strikes by being two fine or really wild which is frustrating as he has some really nice breaking pitches.
    He also got away with a few pitches down the middle. 9 base runners in 5 innings is also really poor. He just can't have a 1-2-3 inning to save his life.

Overall I'm intrigued to see how he builds of this in his next start if he can begin commanding his new fastball which showed plenty of life to it at times.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Way too many pitches, bump him and give Phelps a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    he has control... just no command

heat charts from last year showed that he was very much in the strike zone in 2012, but usually right down the middle, or middle up... and it seems like in the early going this season, he's continuing this trend
    I see. The high walk rate so far (albeit two games) suggests his control is a bit off as well, but I haven't seen a single pitch from him so far this year.

He's still getting hit on the fastball (.600 BAA), but it looks like they're going more for singles than doubles and home runs so far. It'd be nice if that trend continues. If he's going to be in the middle of the plate, he'll give up hits. But some movement on the fastball will at least soften the damage I think.

NYYF Legend

He's not going to last much longer. At some point they have to consider giving his spot to Phelps, Warren, Nuno, or even Wang I'd he pitches well at AAA.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

time to move on

The frustrating thing is that we've seen this pattern repeated over and over again- pitcher has talent but fails to develop a useful ML arsenal of pitches

Nova had a great FB, but couldn't keep it down in the zone. He worked on that and then developed a very useful cutter/slider type pitch. Where did that disappear to? He's got a fantastic curve now- great break that gets consistent calls for strikes and can't spot his FB anymore

After all this time Hughes still doesn't have a realiable 3rd pitch

Frustrating
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    He's not going to last much longer. At some point they have to consider giving his spot to Phelps, Warren, Nuno, or even Wang I'd he pitches well at AAA.
    He's pitched essentially half a year while posting this line:

Since last yearís All-Star break, Nova has now pitched to a 6.87 ERA with a near-.900 OPS against while averaging just 5.1 innings per start.
    I'm fairly certain they'll give him to the ASB. The terrible thing is, a few good starts strung together and his leash gets extended even further.

NYYF Legend

Nova is just painful to watch. Baserunners every inning.

NYYF Legend

The problem is that he has zero command. It doesn't matter if his stuff is good.

Addicted Member

Fastball as straight as a board but has a good curveball. Does know how to setup a hitter but allows to many baserunners. Don't know who is more ineffective, him or Hughes. Let's hope Pineda makes things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    The frustrating thing is that we've seen this pattern repeated over and over again- pitcher has talent but fails to develop a useful ML arsenal of pitches
    Yes we have, with every team in the league.

Talent at this level is a given. Very few develop enough to stay in MLB rotations, especially rotations staffed by CC, Kuroda and Pettitte.

NYYF Legend

What frustrate me is that he had a very good 2-seamer which generated lots of ground balls in his first major league season.

And it disappeared.

It seems that he focused on improving his K rate and lost his biggest weapon during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    What frustrate me is that he had a very good 2-seamer which generated lots of ground balls in his first major league season.

And it disappeared.

It seems that he focused on improving his K rate and lost his biggest weapon during the process.
    Watching him pitch it's very evident he wants to strikeout everyone. Minute he gets to two strikes he starts throwing pitches out of the zone trying to miss bats as opposed to forcing them to change. Just watching his at-bat against Adam Lind, gets to 1-2 and then proceeds to throw so many pitches out of the zone and Lind was happy to oblige. Girardi's and Rotchschild's reaction said it all. Phil suffers from this very same problem which suggests our pitchers don't learn the finer details of pitching in the minors.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post

And it disappeared.

This is the big issue. We know he can be a big winner because he's shown the ability. Somebody has to figure out how to get that pitch working again. If he can do that he'll be dominant. Hughes has similarly lost some of the heavy bite on his curve from a few years back. Maybe the baseballs have changed the stitching process during manufacturing, but then other pitchers would be having issues as well.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Maybe he would perform better if we took the question mark out of the title of his performance thread.

Command command command

He has none of it.

Shows flashes of dominance, but nothing more.

Send him back to AAA to work some things out. Promote Phelps/Wang/Nuno. It is not like we do not have options...

NYYF MVP

I agree that something is wrong and if even for just confidence Joe should have let Nova keep that 4-2 lead, and not take a chance sending him out for the 6th as Nova was getting squeezed a bit and wasn't that sharp.

As I said in the past I like Nova and there have been times when he has been dominant, even so there is something different about him and his pitches.. I do see that he has no problem getting to two strikes, then the nibbling starts and he is trying too hard to get the strikeout.. Between that and walks, and not making enough effort to keep the ball down this is the end results..

Maybe he does need to go back down and work things out, he also needs to understand that with certain umpires your best bet may be to put the ball in play, and to realize this when you're not getting the pitches in the black...

NYYF Legend

DFA please.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    DFA please.
    He won the game!

Maybe this experience will give him a taste for the bullpen.

NYYF Legend

He wants to be a starter. We'll he came in the game at 3-3.
    As far I was concerned he was starting and he did get the win.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

That command comes and goes from batter to batter. Quite honestly, he left that pitch up to Joyce that was luckily hit to Cano.

This problem can be masked in the bullpen, where he ultimately might have to end up in.

It also might help him. Hughes has stated in the past that he learned a lot/some things in the bullpen.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Triple Crown

He has pitched four scoreless innings so far and just struck out the side on 9 pitches.

Thread Information