+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: Ivan (Super) Nova 2013 Performance Thread

Wow, no love for his second SHO this season?

Certainly looking like we can pencil him in for a guaranteed spot next year.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

Call me crazy, but I would sell high on him this winter... He's fooled us once before with a good half year
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Call me crazy, but I would sell high on him this winter... He's fooled us once before with a good half year
    Definitely, depending on the return. This is how the Rays stay young and competitive year in year out without spending money.

This has been more than a good half year, though.

You've got to love Yankee fans. They scream about not developing pitchers, but then want to trade a young pitcher when he has struggles developing consistency early in his career. You can't have it both ways. Part of developing pitchers is to allow them to experience and then overcome the rollercoaster part of their early development. It's not the norm for starting pitchers to not experience such inconsistencies.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Wow, no love for his second SHO this season?

Certainly looking like we can pencil him in for a guaranteed spot next year.
    At this point, he's the #2 starter on the 2014 Yankees. After that, they really don't have anybody who can be penciled in for sure.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    You've got to love Yankee fans. They scream about not developing pitchers, but then want to trade a young pitcher when he has struggles developing consistency early in his career. You can't have it both ways. Part of developing pitchers is to allow them to experience and then overcome the rollercoaster part of their early development. It's not the norm for starting pitchers to not experience such inconsistencies.
    This is not a spoiled fan response, this is an attempt to get the team in a better position to compete in 2014... With a mandated salary cap and few tradeable resources, it would behoove them to at least consider the possibility of moving Nova, seeing as how SP will actually be a position of relative depth next year (emphasis on the word relative) if they can re-sign Kuroda, Pineda sees the light of day, and Banuelos finally arrives

And considering how many holes they have to fill during the winter, including Nova in a package for multiple pieces might not be a bad idea
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

This is not a spoiled fan response, this is an attempt to get the team in a better position to compete in 2014... With a mandated salary cap and few tradeable resources, it would behoove them to at least consider the possibility of moving Nova, seeing as how SP will actually be a position of relative depth next year (emphasis on the word relative) if they can re-sign Kuroda, Pineda sees the light of day, and Banuelos finally arrives

And considering how many holes they have to fill during the winter, including Nova in a package for multiple pieces might not be a bad idea
    I don't see it that way as getting them better for 2014. Outside of CC, he's our #2 starter next year. All of the guys you mentioned are questionable right now either health-wise or Kuroda being a free agent that might return to Japan. Rebuilding the starting pitching is the first priority for the Yankees in 2014.

NYYF Legend

Banuelos is not pitching for the Yankees next year. We have very little starting pitching depth. Assuming Kuroda and Hughers are gone we have CC, Nova, Pineda and Phelps and will need 1-2 more starters. Nova is also arbitration eligible next year so the days of him being a cheap options will decrease each year.

Nova is exactly the type of pitcher you do not trade.

NYYF Legend

he's starting to pitch like a decent #3 starter
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    he's starting to pitch like a decent #3 starter
    People next to me tonight said "There's our Ace next year". Couldn't argue.
    I waited until the Yankees batted to go to the bathroom.

He needs to progress from being able to dominate bad or mediocre teams, but getting lit up by good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    He needs to progress from being able to dominate bad or mediocre teams, but getting lit up by good teams.
    Tampa is a good team and they didn't lit him up.

Before I get started, what is your definition of getting lit up?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

He shut out the Orioles too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    Before I get started, what is your definition of getting lit up?
    What the Red Sox did to him.

What the Red Sox did to him.
    You're talking about the Red Sox, the team with the best record in baseball. What pitcher haven't they lit up. If anything wasn't he struggling with a triceps issue vs Boston?

Nova's been brilliant, you're talking about a player who pitched to a 2.70 ERA over 116.2 IP ever since he came back from injury in June. Nova's been fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next season. Hopefully he can stay injury free.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post
    You're talking about the Red Sox, the team with the best record in baseball. What pitcher haven't they lit up. If anything wasn't he struggling with a triceps issue vs Boston?

Nova's been brilliant, you're talking about a player who pitched to a 2.70 ERA over 116.2 IP ever since he came back from injury in June. Nova's been fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does next season. Hopefully he can stay injury free.

I agree. And if CC can rebound just to 90% CC. Would be nice to pick up 1 very good pitcher, as insurance (Tanaka?). Then you have to believe that we get 2 decent pitchers from Pineda, et al.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information