+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ivan (Super) Nova 2013 Performance Thread

His pitching was bad enough today then this:

"Just because quotes like this usually generate an interesting reaction, hereís what Nova had to say about his day of 4.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 1 HBP: ď[Personally, I donít feel like I pitched that bad. I was throwing a lot of balls and getting into too deep counts, but itís the first start of the year. Ö Iím not throwing strikes. It has nothing to do with mechanics. Itís just one of those games where you feel good but youíre not able to throw strikes.Ē

Shades of IPK

LoHud
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Re: Ivan Nova 2013 Performance (?) Thread

new season, same dedication to proving everyone who believes Ks and increasing them are good things wrong.

NYYF Legend

That quote doesn't bother me. He acknowledged that he wasn't throwing enough strikes. Better that he maintains his confidence than turn into mush after a bad start.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    That quote doesn't bother me. He acknowledged that he wasn't throwing enough strikes. Better that he maintains his confidence than turn into mush after a bad start.
    I agree with you and with Nova's statement.

Defense did bail him out a couple of times, but it did also fail him a couple of times as well.
    5/2 K/BB 5/4 GO/AO against a team that owned him last year.

It's not like he said he pitched well.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I agree with you and with Nova's statement.

Defense did bail him out a couple of times, but it did also fail him a couple of times as well.
    5/2 K/BB 5/4 GO/AO against a team that owned him last year.

It's not like he said he pitched well.
    the problem is that the whole second half of last year he " felt good but couldn't throw strikes "

That's just not gonna get it done. He was awful today and was very lucky he didn't give up more runs. He had a decent curve- all the rest just wasn't there. He has the talent. If he's not got any physical problem, I think it comes down to lack of concentration.
    Maintaining confidence doesn't come at the exclusion of a realistic evaluation of performance. He was essentially given the rotation spot- maybe another stint int he minors would wake him up again- seemed to work last time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

The quality of the performance wouldn't even be being considered if Nova didn't get behind in the count with almost every batter at the plate, resulting in him having to leave early and Joe leaning heavily on the pen at the start of a long road trip (Detroit/Cleveland). We rode our luck at times with an excellent Detroit hitting line up and the fact it was cold in Detroit.

Yet if Nova only gets behind with half the hitters he faced he's right that it would be considered a good early season outting. Mentally though he needs to improve, CC had a bad start and dropped four runs but fought his way out of a bad situation, Ivan has to prove he can do that consistently in games.

One positive out of the defeat is he at least got his pitch count up!
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

Can we please get rid of him already? The guy is horrible. He proved it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Can we please get rid of him already? The guy is horrible. He proved it last year.
    If Pineda was healthy you may have got your wish. Phelps looked better in ST.

It's still very early in the season.
    'Keep your mouth shut and play baseball!', Tony Lazzeri.

Nova looks like he has a lot of un-tapped potential. What's crazy he's gone from a guy who challenges hitters and got burned to nibbling and dying by a thousand cuts.

What I really want to know is, where the hell has his fastball gone?
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post

Shades of IPK
    I thought the exact same thing when I read that quote.
    [COLOR=navy][/COLOR]

Devoted Member

I'd rather be giving the starts to someone like Nova than a veteran retread. There's the possibility of him learning and developing and maybe the light switch will go on. His trade value is ZERO.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

NYYF Legend

Not ready to give up on him yet, but it's ironic how inconsistent (mostly bad) he's been since uttering that infamous "best pitcher in the world" quote. The guy is more than a bit of a head case.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Really good analysis on Nova from IATM. I knew his fastball sucked but damn son

One of the weakest parts of Novaís repertoire is his hittable fastball. Although heís capable of velocity in the mid-90′s, Novaís four-seam fastball lacks movement, and was hit around for a .371 average and .632 slugging percentage in 2012. Compare this to his slider and curveball, which respectively allowed .254 and .170 batting averages
    http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives...adds-a-sinker/
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post

For some reason I always thought he threw a 2-seamer.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    For some reason I always thought he threw a 2-seamer.
    He does, he threw it 4.9% (132 pitches, 33 PAs) of the time 2012 and opponents hit .517 of it.

It seems both his fastballs suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigi Buffon View Post
    I'd rather be giving the starts to someone like Nova than a veteran retread. There's the possibility of him learning and developing and maybe the light switch will go on. His trade value is ZERO.
    My thoughts excatly

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muhozi View Post

from what i saw in his first stat, his FB wasn't even hitting the mid 90's... it was more 90-93
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

He really is frustrating to watch. His command keeps deteriorating. Rothschild doesn't seem to be doing a good job straightening him out.

NYYF Cy Young

That was demolished.

Good to see him settle down some.

How did the fastball look in terms of movement?

NYYF Legend

he was leaving a lot of stuff in the middle... i'm thinking an Al team would have taken him to town tonight
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    he was leaving a lot of stuff in the middle... i'm thinking an Al team would have taken him to town tonight
    Thanks. So not great control.

I'm still a believer in his stuff. He needs to either gain some movement on the fb or spot it much better. The secondary stuff is there.

NYYF Legend

he has control... just no command

heat charts from last year showed that he was very much in the strike zone in 2012, but usually right down the middle, or middle up... and it seems like in the early going this season, he's continuing this trend
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

the more i think about it, the more i believe that it's inevitable that he will be trade bait at this year's deadline... granted, the ideal time to sell high on him was 2 seasons ago, but here's to hoping that he can rebuild some value up until the ASB and then be shipped out as part of a package for a legitimate RFer
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Thread Information