+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2013 Andy Pettitte thread:

Hopefully Andy's trap injury is not serious, and he makes his next turn. This is what worried me with him though. He can still pitch, no doubt - but can he stay on the field? He has already missed a start, and he has not given much in the way of length. That will really stress the pen if it remains a trend.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_nyy&c_id=nyy
    "I don't think Andy's [injury] is too bad," Girardi said. "His trap just kind of got a knot in it, and to me it was affecting his velocity. That's why I took him out. It's muscular, but I don't know what that means going forward."

Pettitte, 4-3 with a 3.83 ERA, said that he never felt especially sharp on Thursday, allowing two runs and four hits, with three walks and five strikeouts to take the loss.

"It was just really tight," Pettitte said. "I couldn't get extended at all. I really just felt like I was kind of cutting everything off and just really trying to throw it in there almost slower than slow, to tell you the truth."

Pettitte missed a start in April with lower back spasms, but he said that he did not believe the two injuries were related. Pettitte turns 41 next month, but he said he is reluctant to use his age as an excuse.

"There's no doubt I'm getting old, but I don't want to sit here and tell you that that's the exact reason why, you know?" Pettitte said, with a chuckle. "I saw Moose [Mike Mussina] go through a full season at age [39] and win 20 ballgames.
    Since the article states that this tightness was in the trapezius area and the area in April was the lower back - as he said, the two probably aren't directly related. Outside of three BB's, his line was not bad at all, considering that he really couldn't extend.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_nyy&c_id=nyy

Since the article states that this tightness was in the trapezius area and the area in April was the lower back - as he said, the two probably aren't directly related. Outside of three BB's, his line was not bad at all, considering that he really couldn't extend.
    Sorry but this happens when you are 40+.
    Speak softly but carry a big stick.

or the New York Yankees, MRI has become a statistic that's just as important as ERA and RBI.Andy Pettitte trudged off in the fifth inning with a back injury.
    Chris Stewart limped off after seven with an injured leg.
    A 3-2 loss to the Seattle Mariners on Thursday night seemed more significant than just another defeat.Twelve Yankees already have been on the disabled list this year, costing a total of 332 games.

NYYF Legend

Mo's last year and certainly Andy will call it a career at the end of 2013.

Hard to believe.
    I will be ecstatic every time I get to see one or both of them pitch.
    Can't wait till Mo save's another one of his games.
    Let the good times roll.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Mo's last year and certainly Andy will call it a career at the end of 2013.

Hard to believe.
    I will be ecstatic every time I get to see one or both of them pitch.
    Can't wait till Mo save's another one of his games.
    That happened today and he got his 250th win.

NYYF Legend

Mo was joking last night after the game that he (Pettitte) has to stay around "another five, six years" so he can play with his son Josh.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/vide...nt_id=27855655

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    That happened today and he got his 250th win.
    and I was ecstatic. Still am as a matter of fact.
    I was even late and left people standing at the box office for a championship arena football game till Mo put 'em away.

Honestly in these past 2 years the guy hasn't given the yankees anything that a servicable 4 who is younger couldn't have given them. He's been injury prone because of age and when he's been on the mound hasn't been great. I would have liked to have seen nuns get a couple more starts than Andy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    I would have liked to have seen nuns get a couple more starts than Andy.
    I don't think the Yankees should fall into bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Nuno shut out the indians, pitched solid against mets and Tampa. Don't see why that would be a bad habit. Letting a over the hill pitcher come back is a bad habit.

NYYF Legend

^ Read your post again.

NYYF MVP

Happy Birthday, Andy.

Getting a LOT of static tonight on Radio, fading in & out -- did I just hear JS say "2 lousy fielders" when that pop-up dropped?

90 pitches for Andy so far ...K on # 91 -- they had BETTER win this game for him
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

7.0 innings pitched, 4 er, 11 hits, surrendered the lead . Yep he is such a great addition to the staff.Also forgot to mention he's 41.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Lol if phelps warren or Hughes pitched as bad as Andy has this year, they would be getting destroyed. But because people allow themselves to be caught up in memories of old Andy, they can't see that he has been a hindrance.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bernforever51 View Post
    Lol if phelps warren or Hughes pitched as bad as Andy has this year, they would be getting destroyed. But because people allow themselves to be caught up in memories of old Andy, they can't see that he has been a hindrance.
    Well, Hughes has pitched much worse than Andy, and if you have not noticed IS getting destroyed here.

Phelps is still developing, and is holding his own, he should not get grief.

Warren is relieving, and pitching great. If he was not, people would doubt him, as he has no track record, but not killing him.

With Andy, I think many here understand that Andy is old, and expectations are not what they used to be, hence you don't "kill him" for being hittable. The guy is battling. Now, would I upgrade Andy? Yes, but first you have to upgrade Phil. Since it is unlikely to get two solid starters to replace them, you have to just hope Cash can get one, and hope for the best for Andy.

I felt awful watching the post game last night. Andy just kept saying that he HAS to be able to throw his fastball, and he HAS to just "pitch better", like it is an adjustment.

I think we will still see some great games from Andy, but I won't be surprised if his final number are ERA+ of 100 or so, and I won't be surprised if he is on the DL again before the year is up. Kind of sad, he is not embarrassing himself, but it is not the way he should go out either.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

I got tears in my eyes. I took a shower after the game ended. Came out just in time to see Andy talking to the press.

He just sounded so sad. It's not even about what he said. He just sounded defeated. He kept saying he felt good, kinsler battled, and he just couldn't do it. Reporters didn't even really ask follow up questions. He just kept rambling basically those 3 lines. I've been a Yankees fan for almost 20 years. I have never seen Andy like this.

I have no doubt he'll give us everything he's got left before retiring at the end of the season but it seemed to me even Andy believes he doesn't have much left.

Congrats, Andy!
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Amazing, congratulations!!

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Amazing to see these records fall that have stood for generations...with all the great players the Yankees have had that the records could still be broken.

Ford pitched more games, (498 v 431), started more games (438 v 422), had way more IP (3170.1 v 2697.0). If Andy had never left for Houston, his 2300+ K's would blow past Ford's, and his 250 career wins would also lead the team.

The question will be, 5 years after he retires, is Andy Pettitte a Hall of Famer? Right now, I would have to say yes...and if he can just get to .500 or better this season (he's at 5-6) he would have an 18 year career without ever having a losing season.

His .628 winning percentage is 8th ALL TIME for pitchers with at least 398 decisions. None of the Top 7 got through their careers without having at least one season with a below .500 record.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Sorry, but Andy is not going to the HOF.
    I love him. He's been a great Yankee. A champion Yankee.
    But not a HOFer.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Sorry, but Andy is not going to the HOF.
    I love him. He's been a great Yankee. A champion Yankee.
    But not a HOFer.
    Well said
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

He's close but clearly on the outside.

No period of clear dominance. Maybe he he compiled more stats like 300W he could get in but as it is, just hall of very good.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    He's close but clearly on the outside.

No period of clear dominance. Maybe he he compiled more stats like 300W he could get in but as it is, just hall of very good.

See, I agree he's close, historically, but today, I think he's close but on the inside.

Current leader in wins. Many people think we may have seen the last 300-game winner. I think CC Sabathia has a chance at 300 (he's at 199, and only 32). So does Verlander. But of the other active leaders in wins, I don't know if any of them get to 250.

Hudson needs 3 more years of 14 wins/yr to get to 250. I think a 50-50 shot.

Halladay also needs 3 more years of 14 wins/yr to get to 250, but the last two years have shown a major decline in his performance. 15% chance to get to 250.

Colon, no.

Buehrle needs 72 more wins, has 2 years on his contract beyond 2013, but say he gets 8 more wins this year, he'd be 64 wins shy of 250. He'd need 5-6 more years after this one at 12-13 wins/yr to get to 250. 25% chance.

Everyone else is too old/too far away right now to make a case for 250, until you hit Verlander who is 30 yrs old with 132 wins. 8 more wins this year puts him at 140. 250 wins, I'd say yeah, 90% probability. (10% chance of injuries derailing his career). 300? That would be 16 wins/yr for the next 10 years. He averaged 19/yr over the last 4 years, so 16/yr for the next 10 is possible. 40-50% chance of getting there, if he front loads the wins now, and stays healthy.

Add in for Pettitte a major part of 5 World Championships, 19 post-season wins (most all-time) 2nd most post-season K's all-time, you can start to make a case...

Hey if people can debate if Adam Dunn is a future Hall of Famer (he could retire with 600+ HR) I think Pettitte should be in the discussion, too...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Thread Information